Transfer Portal 2022

7 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Agree but hasn’t that been the case the last 15+ years though? Well, the contradict your statement, Penny has issues winning but has been giving a LOT of NIL money away. Who knows lol. 

Exactly. 

Pre NIL: What programs had the most money? Who had the best facilities? Who had the highest paid staffs? Who had the most resources? Who had the best athlete housing? 

9 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

if someone gave me the choice of coming as a student and paying thousands of dollars each year to do so or coming as a player and getting to be a student for free, free housing, free food, and academic support....i'd take the latter in a second.

It is fair compensation.

It has been pointed out how much coaches make and saying it's unfair that players don't make anything.  But it's not that players were not making enough, it's that salaries for coaches are getting completely absurd.  Instead of paying players, they should have looked at reigning in salaries that coaches are getting. 

Maybe instead of paying coaches and their staffs millions of dollars, we could put that towards the ever increasing tuition costs that NON-PLAYERS have to pay.

I hear you, don't disagree in theory, but it's not how the economy works. Not too many people take voluntary pay cuts from what the market says they're worth. 

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you, don't disagree in theory, but it's not how the economy works. Not too many people take voluntary pay cuts from what the market says they're worth. 

I realize that.  It would have to be involuntary.  But i probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than that ever happening.

12 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I realize that.  It would have to be involuntary.  But i probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than that ever happening.

Right, that's not how our economy works so it isn't going to happen.

This is not directed at you, but more of a general open ended question, but do we want to restrict the free market determining pay in areas that don't impact our enjoyment of sports/entertainment?

I understand this could open a pandoras box to political discourse so mods, feel free to delete if you don't want the hassle. 

If you look at Life Wallet (and thanks @Lurker for the correction) it's a really good idea. 

I know I get tired of filling out forms at Dr's offices which all seem to ask the same questions. Life Wallet gives people control of their medical records and is portable from Dr to Dr...

And the signing of Nijel Pack has put a bright spotlight on them. The awareness factor alone has probably covered the $800K already, and if they're going to be a publicly traded company it's going help with investors and revenue streams...

These aren't shell companies simply to justify giving money to college athletes...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Exactly. Again, it doesn't matter if one thinks a scholarship is or isn't fair compensation. 'fair' is an opinion. And opinions are about as good as toilet paper. 

Example: I think it'd be fair if I get paid $1 million dollars a year. I don't think it's fair that my d-bag neighbor get's paid over minimum wage because he's a jerk. "Fair" is meaningless.

If a player is only worth the scholarship they get, then so be it....the market will dictate that (not fans on a message board or a university). If a company wants to pay an athlete more to endorse their product, they don't need to consult us on whether or not it's 'fair'. A player is worth what they are worth. If they're value is built on unproven hype, then that risk is on the endorsing company. Worth is determined on what somebody is willing to pay you.

The macro issue that keeps getting missed is that Colleges don't have the right to cap that, as determined by the Supreme Court. While the NBA can cap salaries, they can't cap endorsement deals because they think their players salaries are high enough already. Colleges can't cap outside earnings of their students on academic scholarships. Why? Because they have absolutely no business injecting themselves into those dealings. The NCAA's purview of amateurism is not limitless. 

Again, it does NOT matter if high school athletes have alternative paths that include compensation (g league, europe, etc.). The NCAA's past enforcement of an athlete's NIL is unconstitutional; they are trying to control aspects beyond their purview. This should be a good thing! For once, government is putting an individual's right before an institution's. This is why NIL had almost unanimous bipartisan support. This is more important than Miami stealing Pack away from Purdue. IMO, we're missing the bigger picture. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Exactly. Again, it doesn't matter if one thinks a scholarship is or isn't fair compensation. 'fair' is an opinion. And opinions are about as good as toilet paper. 

Example: I think it'd be fair if I get paid $1 million dollars a year. I don't think it's fair that my d-bag neighbor get's paid over minimum wage because he's a jerk. "Fair" is meaningless.

If a player is only worth the scholarship they get, then so be it....the market will dictate that (not fans on a message board or a university). If a company wants to pay an athlete more to endorse their product, they don't need to consult us on whether or not it's 'fair'. A player is worth what they are worth. If they're value is built on unproven hype, then that risk is on the endorsing company. Worth is determined on what somebody is willing to pay you.

The macro issue that keeps getting missed is that Colleges don't have the right to cap that, as determined by the Supreme Court. While the NBA can cap salaries, they can't cap endorsement deals because they think their players salaries are high enough already. Colleges can't cap outside earnings of their students on academic scholarships. Why? Because they have absolutely no business injecting themselves into those dealings. The NCAA's purview of amateurism is not limitless. 

Again, it does NOT matter if high school athletes have alternative paths that include compensation. The NCAA's past enforcement of an athlete's NIL is unconstitutional; they are trying to control aspects beyond their purview. This should be a good thing! For once, government is putting an individual's right before an institution's. This is why NIL had bipartisan and almost unanimous bipartisan support. This is more important than Miami stealing Pack away from Purdue. IMO, we're missing the bigger picture. 

I agree with you 100%. In our current economic system in this country the NIL is unequivocally a good thing for individuals and for "labor". 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right, that's not how our economy works so it isn't going to happen.

This is not directed at you, but more of a general open ended question, but do we want to restrict the free market determining pay in areas that don't impact our enjoyment of sports/entertainment?

I understand this could open a pandoras box to political discourse so mods, feel free to delete if you don't want the hassle. 

When we have people that make millions or billions annually saying how they can't afford an increase in the minimum wage without raising prices to their customers, then I think all options should be on the table to counter greed/income inequality.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Again, it does NOT matter if high school athletes have alternative paths that include compensation. The NCAA's past enforcement of an athlete's NIL is unconstitutional; they are trying to control aspects beyond their purview. This should be a good thing! For once, government is putting an individual's right before an institution's. This is why NIL had bipartisan and almost unanimous bipartisan support. This is more important than Miami stealing Pack away from Purdue. IMO, we're missing the bigger picture. 

Yup fair is an opinion and we all have them.

You do have a good point on colleges shouldn't be allowed to prevent players from making money on their own.  I think most people just hate the idea of this being a minor league.  But instead of having a draft like other professional leagues, we have it open to the possibility of teams just paying their way to victory (through setting up lucrative NILs).

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

These aren't shell companies simply to justify giving money to college athletes...

Yeah they are.  That is Hoosiers For Good's #1 purpose.  To get NIL money to athletes at IU and oh yeah they may do this charitable thing too.

It is as simple as this.  A taxpayer is allowed to give a gift up to $16,000 to another individual this year.  At $16,001 they have to start paying taxes on the gift.  So if you go big donor who wants to drop a "gift" of $100k on TJD, they cannot just hand him $100k.  They have to report that gift and then pay taxes on it.  So you make a "charity" like HFG and suddenly that gift is a charitable contribution that is tax deductible.   The player has to pay an income tax on it but that is usually less than the gift tax.  Donor gets to write it off.

TJD shows up to a dinner and the charity gets to charge for the plates or the speech or whatever.   The charities won't complain because what they are getting is more than they were...but in most cases the value they are getting is probably less then just getting the cash that the athlete got paid....because it isn't about charity, it is about getting money to people who will possibly help your school win games.

It is just putting the sleaze out in the open.  It is "legal" now but is no different than what most here would complain about the Kentucky's of the world doing in the past with Nike as the go between.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If you look at Life Wallet (and thanks @Lurker for the correction) it's a really good idea. 

I know I get tired of filling out forms at Dr's offices which all seem to ask the same questions. Life Wallet gives people control of their medical records and is portable from Dr to Dr...

Can Life Wallet fill out my prenuptial agreements and divorce proceedings?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah they are.  That is Hoosiers For Good's #1 purpose.  To get NIL money to athletes at IU and oh yeah they may do this charitable thing too.

It is as simple as this.  A taxpayer is allowed to give a gift up to $16,000 to another individual this year.  At $16,001 they have to start paying taxes on the gift.  So if you go big donor who wants to drop a "gift" of $100k on TJD, they cannot just hand him $100k.  They have to report that gift and then pay taxes on it.  So you make a "charity" like HFG and suddenly that gift is a charitable contribution that is tax deductible.   The player has to pay an income tax on it but that is usually less than the gift tax.  Donor gets to write it off.

TJD shows up to a dinner and the charity gets to charge for the plates or the speech or whatever.   The charities won't complain because what they are getting is more than they were...but in most cases the value they are getting is probably less then just getting the cash that the athlete got paid....because it isn't about charity, it is about getting money to people who will possibly help your school win games.

It is just putting the sleaze out in the open.  It is "legal" now but is no different than what most here would complain about the Kentucky's of the world doing in the past with Nike as the go between.

Different scenario than the one I cited...

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The charities won't complain because what they are getting is more than they were...but in most cases the value they are getting is probably less then just getting the cash that the athlete got paid.

You just justified having TJD there...

How's that a bad thing?