Transfer Portal 2022

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You just justified having TJD there...

How's that a bad thing?

I guess we see.  If I was the governmwnt I might be interested in the structure of all these agreements because I think they were set up to avoid the gift tax.

It is kind of whatever.  Glass went out and kind of set up the type of group that I suggested a few months ago given how NIL works.  So I get why they are doing it.  I just think this is all a joke and froma University perspective I think you will find that it ends up having more cost than benefit.  People who used to donate to the AD will be donating to HFG.  If Nijel Pack at $400k/yr is the going rate for a middling type of talent then it is going to be really expensive to field a competitive team.  And that money going to big b-ball and b-ball player is going to take money from everything else, up to and including the non athletic donations.

And I just can't shake the feeling that if you removed the jersey from these guys, they would be worth less than what they are compensated for their scholarships.  I base that on g league salaries.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Currently, agree.  Could he be developed into one? I think so.  Is it a guarantee? Far from it. 

Idk.. I don't see it. I am not rooting against him though. He showed his character supporting his teammates and continuing to excel in the classroom. 

I simply don't think he's a very good basketball player. I think if he were on Minnesota's roster and was transferring we would be laughing about the idea of him going to a big school. This is all an opinion, and maybe he will transfer to Duke and turn into the next Tyus Jones.  

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I think there’s a lot of over-reacting going on….you’d think that college sports will cease to exist in 10 years. Just like the transfer portal, things may take a bit to settle in, but I’m honestly not concerned about it that much.

Many keep on saying that blue bloods like Kansas and Kentucky will have an unfair advantage (although they’ve already had an unfair advantage for the last 20+ years, but that is beside the point), but look at the schools where the players with the highest NIL deals have landed: Tennessee State and Miami. Not exactly basketball powerhouses. Heck, I believe the highest NIL deal in college sports belongs to that LSU gymnast. 

I really wonder how much of this contempt is coming from deep rooted personal opinions about what a kid ‘deserves’. Envy that a “kid who hasn’t done much in life other than having the god given ability to play a sport is going to make 10 times as much as you when you’re been working your ass off for years”. Well, too bad, so sad. Ironically it’s our interest in college sports that’s now going to pay their salaries. Our interest in sports makes them valuable. Us, the guys posting on message boards. 

Happy that players are getting a share 

in reality big time college sports is a business so pick your favorites and watch or walk away 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not writing him off. I think he can be successful at Ball State, Northern ILL, Evansville. 

Foster Loyer went from Michigan St. to Davidson.  That is the kind of move Lander needs to do.  Now what school fits the Davidson mold?  I dunno.  I wonder if our old friend Steve Alford has reached out?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I guess we see.  If I was the governmwnt I might be interested in the structure of all these agreements because I think they were set up to avoid the gift tax.

It is kind of whatever.  Glass went out and kind of set up the type of group that I suggested a few months ago given how NIL works.  So I get why they are doing it.  I just think this is all a joke and froma University perspective I think you will find that it ends up having more cost than benefit.  People who used to donate to the AD will be donating to HFG.  If Nijel Pack at $400k/yr is the going rate for a middling type of talent then it is going to be really expensive to field a competitive team.  And that money going to big b-ball and b-ball player is going to take money from everything else, up to and including the non athletic donations.

And I just can't shake the feeling that if you removed the jersey from these guys, they would be worth less than what they are compensated for their scholarships.  I base that on g league salaries.

If you take the colleges out if it do you think CBS, Fox and ESPN will  give out 1billion TV contracts for  the G league.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Foster Loyer went from Michigan St. to Davidson.  That is the kind of move Lander needs to do.  Now what school fits the Davidson mold?  I dunno.  I wonder if our old friend Steve Alford has reached out?

I thought he would may e do well at Murray St.  I did see that he visited Iona but haven't heard anything else.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you take the colleges out if it do you think CBS, Fox and ESPN will  give out 1billion TV contracts for  the G league.

No. This board is a good snapshot into the fact that most people that are college basketball fans are specifically that more-so than they are basketball fans. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No. This board is a good snapshot into the fact that most people that are college basketball fans are specifically that more-so than they are basketball fans. 

I love High school and the college game but can't get into the NBA. Back to the point is that I have always thought the program is what sells and not individual players.  

• Like 1