Transfer Portal 2022

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I love High school and the college game but can't get into the NBA. Back to the point is that I have always thought the program is what sells and not individual players.  

Yes, IU having a historically great program is what sells. That clearly doesn’t happen without the players, though.

Not exactly a lot of diehard Ball State fans…

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, IU having a historically great program is what sells. That clearly doesn’t happen without the players, though.

Not exactly a lot of diehard Ball State fans…

Talking about TV rights and they pay big money because those players are playing at a Duke or UK.  If those players were playing for FW Mad Ants they wouldn't be getting those TV deals.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Talking about TV rights and they pay big money because those players are playing at a Duke or UK.  If those players were playing for FW Mad Ants they wouldn't be getting those TV deals.

The G League hasn't been around as long as the Blue Blood Universities, nor does it have the exponential outreach and footprint. These schools produce wave after wave of graduates/alumni, who continue their fandom and help support the need for TV ad revenue.

It's apples to oranges.

But to @KoB2011's point, these Blue Bloods aren't BBs if they have mediocre players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

The G League hasn't been around as long as the Blue Blood Universities, nor does it have the exponential outreach and footprint. These schools produce wave after wave of graduates/alumni, who continue their fandom and help support the need for TV ad revenue.

It's apples to oranges.

But to @KoB2011's point, these Blue Bloods aren't BBs if they have mediocre players.

I disagree, say the top 50 players bypassed college.  Those blue bloods would still get the top remaining players available but would be less talented.  If those teams still won their fans wouldn't care if these guys were not the most talented.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I disagree, say the top 50 players bypassed college.  Those blue bloods would still get the top remaining players available but would be less talented.  If those teams still won their fans wouldn't care if these guys were not the most talented.

What if those top 50 players all went to the MAC (I think that still exists, right?)? Don't think the fans would care if their Blue Devils consistently get stomped by Buffalo?

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Two things:

1 - Why would these Blue Bloods "still get the top remaining players", you ask? It's because they are and have been elite programs as a result of the players that have come before. That's a cumulative effect.

2 - The ability of players and their skill-sets are all relative. Taking the top 50 players out doesn't matter. Player #51 becomes Player #1 by default; this happened to a lesser degree when players declared for the draft directly out of HS.

I'm pretty sure each fan base wants their team's players to be better in comparison to other programs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Understood. And Duke and UK are big brands because of the players. It’s a chicken or the egg situation, both are needed. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But most the complaints I see about the NIL aren’t that the dams broke, it’s that the players are kidding paid at all. I mean, I’m this very thread numerous posters still claim a scholarship is fair compensation. 

I look at those as the extreme positions…very much the minority….but maybe I’m underestimating how many there are. Be interested in seeing a poll.

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

Idk.. I don't see it. I am not rooting against him though. He showed his character supporting his teammates and continuing to excel in the classroom. 

I simply don't think he's a very good basketball player. I think if he were on Minnesota's roster and was transferring we would be laughing about the idea of him going to a big school. This is all an opinion, and maybe he will transfer to Duke and turn into the next Tyus Jones.  

Purdue offered out of HS
Purdue is desperate for pg
Purdue didn’t contact him😳

Thad has been around him for a year 

Did Butler contact him?

they almost got Rob 

I hope he finds a good fit.  Another P5 with no playing time would look bad 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Nijel’s agent doubling down.  Almost daring the NCAA to do something about it lol. 

I would actually laugh if he was ruled ineligible because there are receipts of him negotiating this prior to committing and it being contingent upon committing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1