Transfer Portal 2022

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

You left out his parents.

I go back and forth on the parent blame game. Head Coach at IU calls your to be senior in high school son and says I want you to enroll early....they are probably mind blown as well. I get your point but people are people. To get access to that stage that early....most would do the same.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I go back and forth on the parent blame game. Head Coach at IU calls your to be senior in high school son and says I want you to enroll early....they are probably mind blown as well. I get your point but people are people. To get access to that stage that early....most would do the same.

Wouldn’t be so bad if he could have redshirted his freshman season so he could observe from the older guys and ease in the transition

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Wouldn’t be so bad if he could have redshirted his freshman season so he could observe from the older guys and ease in the transition

5 star by recruiting ranking services don't redshirt....unless they play at Carolina or the school up North. We didn't do this kid any favors...or his parents. 

Good thing for KL is he's a 4.0 student. Smart enough to know he's going to reinvent himself at the age of 19. Shoot...many adults do that at the age of 49. He'll be just fine. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

5 star by recruiting ranking services don't redshirt....unless they play at Carolina or the school up North. We didn't do this kid any favors...or his parents. 

Good thing for KL is he's a 4.0 student. Smart enough to know he's going to reinvent himself at the age of 19. Shoot...many adults do that at the age of 49. He'll be just fine. 

I'm still don't understand this narrative and I've yet to have anybody truly explain it. So are you saying that his confidence was so shattered by enrolling early that it negates all of the gains that he made physically in the weight room and by competing in practice against better competition than he was going to face in high school? The only other thing I've heard is that he had the chance to win Mr basketball stolen from him.  Maybe the chance yo be senior homecoming king :coffee:.  What else are we talking about here?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He did RS. 

He got a free covid year so other than this idea of being BMOC at an ok school in Evansville (no disrespect but it doesn't compare in the slightest to being on IU basketball team and strutting around campus) he didn't lose anything other than confidence.  What am I missing?  Help me be empathetic and understanding.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

He got a free covid year so other than this idea of being BMOC at an ok school in Evansville (no disrespect but it doesn't compare in the slightest to being on IU basketball team and strutting around campus) he didn't lose anything other than confidence.  What am I missing?  Help me be empathetic and understanding.  

I'm on your side lol I agree with you. I was simply mentioning, he did RS. I don't see much of a difference in the amount of games he played and how many mins a RS would get.. they were both minuscule.  

I don't have anything to be empathetic about. I don't feel bad for him. I like KL, I loved the way he was supporting his teammates last year. I think he is a really good student and person, and a good basketball player! Just don't think that is at the B1G level. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Can't play 26 games and redshirt...

Screenshot_20220428-074252.thumb.png.b95d9a5c9b6b1f5917a2878d20c60617.png

If you're speaking rhetorically, you should say so...

If you wanted to argue semantics you should have said so.....

If you are a FR back to back years... you RS, that is the term used. 

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If you wanted to argue semantics you should have said so.....

If you are a FR back to back years... you RS, that is the term used. 

I believe I've seen "COVID year" used, which would be more correct, but, you're the smartest guy in the room, so you go...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I believe I've seen "COVID year" used, which would be more correct, but, you're the smartest guy in the room, so you go...

What is there to argue here? I absolutely don't care what you want to call it. 

He was a FR back to back years... literally call it whatever you want lol  

57 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm still don't understand this narrative and I've yet to have anybody truly explain it. So are you saying that his confidence was so shattered by enrolling early that it negates all of the gains that he made physically in the weight room and by competing in practice against better competition than he was going to face in high school? The only other thing I've heard is that he had the chance to win Mr basketball stolen from him.  Maybe the chance yo be senior homecoming king :coffee:.  What else are we talking about here?

Simply put. Yes.

The path that was chosen and executed for him had him riding the bench for 2 years and now he ends up in Western Kentucky after being ranked a 5 star. I truly believe the benefit of playing against better players (your words) didn't work in this case. Kid lost his confidence and his mojo on the court. I think at one point he had about 8 air balls and missed about 10 layups. That's similar to someone getting the yips in golf. Brain was all jacked up.

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk of Illinois in the portal...

Didn't get much time last year, and I don't know how he figured in Underwood's plans, but they aren't going to have a lot of size/depth up front

According to the scholarship grid on the forum, Illinois currently only has 9 on the roster next year, and the only ones who played meaningful minutes are Hawkins, Melendez, and Goode.  Talk about your complete unknowns.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Simply put. Yes.

The path that was chosen and executed for him had him riding the bench for 2 years and now he ends up in Western Kentucky after being ranked a 5 star. I truly believe the benefit of playing against better players (your words) didn't work in this case. Kid lost his confidence and his mojo on the court. I think at one point he had about 8 air balls and missed about 10 layups. That's similar to someone getting the yips in golf. Brain was all jacked up.

I would say the recruiting services did him a major disservice as much as anyone.  

I'm trying to remember.  Did he play up in aau and did pretty well, like 16 pts a game on a good team.  Then his high school stats his jr year, 22 pts a game on a 12 and 12 team.  103 players in the state of indiana scored more points per game than him if I'm understanding MaxPreps correctly.  22 a game in Evansville doesn't register 5 star in my mind.  On a bad team nonetheless.  

Thanks for clarifying your position.  I feel for him because he was probably laying in bed thinking he would be in the nba.  The realization that he's not even high major quality is enough to shake your confidence.  He's honestly comparable to Al Durham without a motor.  Lanky, sort of awkward shot, decent penetrator, not strong enough to finish but by jr sr year he should be.  Great court vision and potential to be more like the pudgy Mich st point from a few years ago, I always forget his name.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would say the recruiting services did him a major disservice as much as anyone.  

I'm trying to remember.  Did he play up in aau and did pretty well, like 16 pts a game on a good team.  Then his high school stats his jr year, 22 pts a game on a 12 and 12 team.  103 players in the state of indiana scored more points per game than him if I'm understanding MaxPreps correctly.  22 a game in Evansville doesn't register 5 star in my mind.  On a bad team nonetheless.  

Thanks for clarifying your position.  I feel for him because he was probably laying in bed thinking he would be in the nba.  The realization that he's not even high major quality is enough to shake your confidence.  He's honestly comparable to Al Durham without a motor.  Lanky, sort of awkward shot, decent penetrator, not strong enough to finish but by jr sr year he should be.  Great court vision and potential to be more like the pudgy Mich st point from a few years ago, I always forget his name.  

I only know one P5 former basketball player close enough to speak with. Played at Iowa St back in late 90's. He was a Coach Knight fan so he still keeps tabs on IU and I asked him about Lander. He told me this. To get to any P5 level you've literally put up 1000's of shots a day for a decade. When you start throwing up air balls after air balls that's in the brain because it's no longer muscle memory.

I just hope he gets a fresh start and excels at WKU.