Transfer Portal 2022

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I only know one P5 former basketball player close enough to speak with. Played at Iowa St back in late 90's. He was a Coach Knight fan so he still keeps tabs on IU and I asked him about Lander. He told me this. To get to any P5 level you've literally put up 1000's of shots a day for a decade. When you start throwing up air balls after air balls that's in the brain because it's no longer muscle memory.

I just hope he gets a fresh start and excels at WKU. 

What would be super cool is if he comes back to IU for his super senior covid 5th year grad transfer senior senior year and kills it.  Like Parker Stewart going back to Tennessee whatever and I heard about a kid that left a mac for Xavier and the back to a mac.  Can't remember that name either, doh.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk of Illinois in the portal...

Didn't get much time last year, and I don't know how he figured in Underwood's plans, but they aren't going to have a lot of size/depth up front

Slightly surprising but he's a fairly limited player and would be a back up at best. Good defender, rebounder and passes well but can't shoot, even layups are a struggle. What's really odd is his very first exhibition game as a freshman he came into the game and knocked down a couple of 3 pointers. Strange game sometimes...

Smart kid who will be going to law school so good for him.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When they introduce the players this year for TJD they said he was a redshirt sophomore

But by strict definition, that's incorrect...

Screenshot_20220428-102353.thumb.png.cfefc8e914534763c5f4c44ca9ced22a.png

unless they don't want to count any of the competition for the 20-21 season...

• Like 4

I've asked this many times before but have never been answered: What would Lander have gained to improve his game by another year in HS that he didn't get at IU? In other words, how did enrolling early hurt him?

- His freshman year didn't count against his eligibility so it's not a "wasted" year.

- At IU he had college level coaching. Although Miller and company weren't great they're still better than he would've gotten in HS.

- He received college level weight training and conditioning as well as a nutrition plan.

- He practiced daily against better players.

- He got game experience against college players.

- 1 year of college courses out of the way.

So I don't see how enrolling early hurt him. He wasn't a flop because of it. He simply isn't as good as his ranking indicated. 2 different coaching staffs came to this same conclusion but it wasn't because he enrolled early. It was more beneficial to him than another year in HS or redshirting that season.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I've asked this many times before but have never been answered: What would Lander have gained to improve his game by another year in HS that he didn't get at IU? In other words, how did enrolling early hurt him?

- His freshman year didn't count against his eligibility so it's not a "wasted" year.

- At IU he had college level coaching. Although Miller and company weren't great they're still better than he would've gotten in HS.

- He received college level weight training and conditioning as well as a nutrition plan.

- He practiced daily against better players.

- He got game experience against college players.

- 1 year of college courses out of the way.

So I don't see how enrolling early hurt him. He wasn't a flop because of it. He simply isn't as good as his ranking indicated. 2 different coaching staffs came to this same conclusion but it wasn't because he enrolled early. It was more beneficial to him than another year in HS or redshirting that season.

I saw him play in high school a couple of times and was not very high on him.  So I'm not disputing your point he was not good enough.

That ssid, I think some of his struggles were confidence related.  An extra year in high school likely would have made a difference in that regard.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I saw him play in high school a couple of times and was not very high on him.  So I'm not disputing your point he was not good enough.

That ssid, I think some of his struggles were confidence related.  An extra year in high school likely would have made a difference in that regard.

You would think making an open jumper or at least hitting the rim/backboard would be automatic for a D1 athlete.

Reminds of Patrick Bade or Travis Carrol at Purdue…..4 star rated and they couldn’t play dead 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I go back and forth on the parent blame game. Head Coach at IU calls your to be senior in high school son and says I want you to enroll early....they are probably mind blown as well. I get your point but people are people. To get access to that stage that early....most would do the same.

The parents first, everyone else after that. The point is, plenty of blame to go around. Who ever listed this kid a 5 star should quit today by the way.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There's a rumor floating around MSU and their boards that Max Christie is interested in transferring to IU because he is dating Sydney Parrish. Don't know how true it is but that would be something. 

Oh sweet friggin jesus let this be true. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

You would think making an open jumper or at least hitting the rim/backboard would be automatic for a D1 athlete.

Reminds of Patrick Bade or Travis Carrol at Purdue…..4 star rated and they couldn’t play dead 

I worked with Travis at one point, he was a super nice guy.