Transfer Portal 2022

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

image.png.6270ccf2ba776d343126ea7bf6e4f3cb.png

I’ve thought from the beginning that a market to establish a player’s value will emerge. If you over pay, these may be the consequences. One could only hope that these kinks will work themselves out.

I think that players know their is a hierarchy and can accept if a player who is better than them gets more endorsements, but when a new player is brought in and makes double than an existing player who’s just as good? The result may interrupt team chemistry with resentment and possible departures. Oh, this might get good. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve thought from the beginning that a market to establish a player’s value will emerge. If you over pay, these may be the consequences. One could only hope that these kinks will work themselves out.

I think that players know their is a hierarchy and can accept if a player who is better than them gets more endorsements, but when a new player is brought in and makes double than an existing player who’s just as good? The result may interrupt team chemistry with resentment and possible departures. Oh, this might get good. 

Yeah, but these kids don't have the leverage the pros have. Schools know they have them for a limited time, and unless they're college game ready, and few really are, even less real useable time...

I think the Wong kid will find out that while he may find another school to play for, people paying the freight on the NIL deals will take a long, hard look at kids who don't play nice.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but these kids don't have the leverage the pros have. Schools know they have them for a limited time, and unless they're college game ready, and few really are, even less real useable time...

I think the Wong kid will find out that while he may find another school to play for, people paying the freight on the NIL deals will take a long, hard look at kids who don't play nice.

Kinda my point. Their only leverage really is discontent or departure. Or it will only take a few companies with a ‘wink and nod’ deal to get burned when a player takes their money and runs. The first couple of years will be messy because a hierarchy hasn’t been set. There will be a lot of trial and error, lessons learned and best practices established. If the Pack deal affects Miami negatively then similar deals in the future may need to be reevaluated. 

Water will find its level. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Disagree. Someone else will emerge for him that wants an impact player to put them over the top.

Wr are seeing it play out in the job market right now. Employers are paying top dollar to bring people in, which makes their current employees look around because they aren’t being treated as well, so they find someone else to pay closer to what they deserve. Companies that aren’t bringing in top talent because of some antiquated view about the employer/employee relationship are getting left behind by those that will value the employee. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still think we're going to see a bunch of longer tenured college coaches start to leave the game. I don't mean guys like Boeheim in their 70's, those guys leaving are inevitable, but I mean some coaches in their 50's and early 60's. 

Why would anyone want to deal with not only having to re-recruit your team every year but also have to do it based on how much NIL money you can get them? Being a coach at this level was already hard enough. 

I'm not saying players don't deserve money, just saying why would a coach want to deal with that if you're at a level where you could maybe go to the NBA and coach or move into broadcasting?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Disagree. Someone else will emerge for him that wants an impact player to put them over the top.

Wr are seeing it play out in the job market right now. Employers are paying top dollar to bring people in, which makes their current employees look around because they aren’t being treated as well, so they find someone else to pay closer to what they deserve. Companies that aren’t bringing in top talent because of some antiquated view about the employer/employee relationship are getting left behind by those that will value the employee. 

Yeah, I'm not sure many donors or companies or whoever the source for the money is are going to put out a significant amount of cash for a one year rental...

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I still think we're going to see a bunch of longer tenured college coaches start to leave the game. I don't mean guys like Boeheim in their 70's, those guys leaving are inevitable, but I mean some coaches in their 50's and early 60's. 

Why would anyone want to deal with not only having to re-recruit your team every year but also have to do it based on how much NIL money you can get them? Being a coach at this level was already hard enough. 

I'm not saying players don't deserve money, just saying why would a coach want to deal with that if you're at a level where you could maybe go to the NBA and coach or move into broadcasting?

Agree. Even tougher, the NIL for the most part is (and should be) out of a coaches control. I think the extent of their conversations with recruits and players is saying: “you’ll have a lot of NIL opportunities at State University.”

Of course they’ll need to maintain a lot of relationships that are indirectly tied to major endorsers, but they do that already. I think the ‘burnout’ will result from a loss of control and stress of the unknown happening every single offseason. I think it also invites interference from rich boosters who know nothing about basketball and want player X because they saw a great highlight video on YouTube. I think now more than ever, a great program culture and a strong AD who can can set boundaries (between the program and boosters) are needed.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If the rule really is that NIL deal can't be contingent on attending a particular school, then the NCAA need to get on this Ruiz guy/Miami quickly and make a statement. 

I know they won't, but geez you have to put some guardrails on this thing. 

I think the problem lies in the fact it's the individual states that are actually making the rules, and the NCAA only comes into play if the state has no rules... California led this whole thing, and as I understand it, are fixing to change the rules again.

• Like 1

Have you read the article? HAHAHA.

Papas is the agent trying to get more money for Wong on the rationale: 

"Understanding what John Ruiz is trying to do with the NIL space and the city of Miami, we feel the value of Isaiah Wong should meet or exceed the value of an incoming transfer."

BUT……GET THIS…..Papas is the same agent who negotiated Pack’s deal! The balls on this guy! 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Was just coming here to post this.  I think it's hilarious. Who didn't see the big splashy NIL deals on that team causing problems? 

There was a rumor on the Michigan boards last year that NIL deals were causing the Wolverines some chemistry issues, and was one reason for them underperforming...

27 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Was just coming here to post this.  I think it's hilarious. Who didn't see the big splashy NIL deals on that team causing problems? 

but... I like it (that they are having problems)... We won't be ran this poorly. Let them all self-destruct and we continue to navigate this in a well-planned business way. Just how I'm seeing it. Looking how things could benefit IU. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

If the rule really is that NIL deal can't be contingent on attending a particular school, then the NCAA need to get on this Ruiz guy/Miami quickly and make a statement. 

I know they won't, but geez you have to put some guardrails on this thing. 

I've read a few articles on this stuff and the way the contracts are written, there is no contingency on attending that school. And Ruiz has said similar, that he's complying with NCAA and state laws.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

I've read a few articles on this stuff and the way the contracts are written, there is no contingency on attending that school. And Ruiz has said similar, that he's complying with NCAA and state laws.

I don't doubt that he is, but his master plan is being poorly executed. He's overpaying and it's already creating dissention on the team.  Laranegga has got to be thrilled with that.

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't doubt that he is, but his master plan is being poorly executed. He's overpaying and it's already creating dissention on the team.  Laranegga has got to be thrilled with that.

Yeah, pretty dumb to announce the amount given to Pack. I mean, they'll find out eventually but making that public gives all the other players a target amount.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

image.png.6270ccf2ba776d343126ea7bf6e4f3cb.png

What a mess. If you play with fire, sometimes you get burnt. Playing with peoples' greed is a dangerous thing unless the said billionaire is willing to unload tens of millions of dollars every year. Well...his money can make Miami basketball like Duke or Kentucky if that's what he wants. 

On his show today DD said he talked to a HOF coach who is still coaching.  He told DD he will not allow a booster like Ruiz to just buy players.  He don't mind using NIL if it is used the way it is attended.

DD also said Ruiz bought those twin girls from Fresno St.  and the woman's coach was so upset that they quit the job.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On his show today DD said he talked to a HOF coach who is still coaching.  He told FD he will not allow a booster like Ruiz to just buy players.  He don't using NIL if it is used the way it is attended.

DF also said Ruiz bought those twin girls from Fresno St.  and the woman's coach was so upset that they quit the job.

Who are FD and DF?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1