Transfer Portal 2022

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My point is that they aren't going to be as making as much as they could be. Athletic donations will be down because all these collectives are popping up all over the place, schools now have competition in this area. I believe this is part of the reason the NCAA fought it tooth and nail, even though they didn't have a case. The other reason is power. The NCAA can't enforce NIL - it will ultimately be the states who do so. And if the NCAA doesn't enforce amateurism anymore (it's debatable even if they could before NIL), then what is their role in college athletics going forward? Perhaps it will just be limited to creating tournaments and distributing money to it's members. Perhaps they'll cease to exist. 

I don't disagree that the NCAA and it's member schools make a crap ton of money, but can't you see how their financial interest beyond TV contracts is threatened?

My first thought when NIL was passed was now booster donations are going to go straight to the players.  But we don't really know that and that won't be the case 100%.  It still takes sizable donations to get good season tickets.  Iirc my buddy said he dropped 5k in a donation just to get ok ones about 32 row in section a.  

The fact remains the NCAA, the conferences, the networks, the shoe co's still haven't lost a dime.  Maybe university athletic departments have a will lose donations but we don't actually know that for a fact.  

I'd argue that with more higher end athletes and a better product on the court, these institutions will only get richer and likely more powerful.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What transfers for you want to talk about. Also this NIL stuff effects the transfer portal

Thought there was a thread title mentioning NIL.  G-league and overseas $ compared to NIL

NIL affects my kids going to college in 16 years but I'm not gonna talk about it via the transfer portal.  The NIL deal affects everything

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First time I have seen this.  At least we are doing it right

I think what a lot of us didn't or don't realize is the power of social media in all of this. 

Ever hear of Olivia Dunne? She's an LSU gymnast that makes over a million a year on NIL because she has over 5 million followers on social media platforms. 

Hell, even a half wit like Casual Gamer Reed profits from social media. His YouTube channel is worth $67k and he supposedly pulls in $25K a year from it, hawking Habeniro Doritos and Slurpees for God's sake. 

If you have a big following on social media, companies will pay. You're a "brand." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

My only concern is the impact it will have on the importance off an education. My youngest son was an All American, consensus top 20 prospect and Team USA baseball player coming out of high school. He was drafted by the Phillies, but chose to go to college to play for one of the top programs in the country, get his education, and then sign a big contract after his junior season. Anyway, that was the plan. He was the classic “can’t miss guy”, but a series of injuries/surgeries during college ended his baseball career prematurely. Fortunately, he graduated with honors, and has gone on to be very successful in his chosen profession. His misses baseball, but realizes how fortunate he was to be on scholarship and get his education. My point is in today’s NIL world it seems chasing the money may become more of a priority than getting a degree. I realize that has always been the case for some, but my son’s experience is the perfect example of there are no sure things in life, and you better have a backup plan….unfortunately, many won’t.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

My only concern is the impact it will have on the importance off an education. My youngest son was an All American, consensus top 20 prospect and Team USA baseball player coming out of high school. He was drafted by the Phillies, but chose to go to college to play for one of the top programs in the country, get his education, and then sign a big contract after his junior season. Anyway, that was the plan. He was the classic “can’t miss guy”, but a series of injuries/surgeries during college ended his baseball career prematurely. Fortunately, he graduated with honors, and has gone on to be very successful in his chosen profession. His misses baseball, but realizes how fortunate he was to be on scholarship and get his education. My point is in today’s NIL world it seems chasing the money may become more of a priority than getting a degree. I realize that has always been the case for some, but my son’s experience is the perfect example of there are no sure things in life, and you better have a backup plan….unfortunately, many won’t.

Got that right...being that 78% of NFL players file for bankruptcy or are experiencing financial stress only two years after retiring, and 60% of NBA players suffer the same fate after five years of retirement, even earning big money without a plan isn't guaranteed happiness...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/12/2/general-college-athletes-continue-to-graduate-at-record-highs.aspx

The graduation rates are at all-time highs. If NIL money keeps athletes in school longer, I can't see these numbers dropping much.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Got that right...being that 78% of NFL players file for bankruptcy or are experiencing financial stress only two years after retiring, and 60% of NBA players suffer the same fate after five years of retirement, even earning big money without a plan isn't guaranteed happiness...

Yes, but there's a difference between getting a few hundred thousand, even a million, and signing multi-million dollar contracts. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If those players were playing in the G League would they be mentioned on those shows.  Would CBS pay billions of dollars to show Fort Wayne Mad Ants

Let's say if the players on Murray St was the top players in college and they were on Duke instead.  Those same players would get as much pub as the guy have played for Duke on the past.

If CBS or any TV network payed Billions to show G-League games, the players salary and TV time will go up drastically.    I would expect they would get the top players out of high school and market them just fine.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes, but there's a difference between getting a few hundred thousand, even a million, and signing multi-million dollar contracts. 

All comes down to managing what you make properly. No matter how much or how little. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All comes down to managing what you make properly. No matter how much or how little. 

agree, but a big part of the problem with pro athletes is when they are hit up to support their group of people who supposedly provided advice, friendship or whatever. Not going to see that happening imo, when a college student gets an NIL deal.

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/12/2/general-college-athletes-continue-to-graduate-at-record-highs.aspx

The graduation rates are at all-time highs. If NIL money keeps athletes in school longer, I can't see these numbers dropping much.

I hope you’re right, but in the world of the transfer portal and NIL money the emphasis on “student athlete” may be lost in the process. Only, time will tell.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

agree, but a big part of the problem with pro athletes is when they are hit up to support their group of people who supposedly provided advice, friendship or whatever. Not going to see that happening imo, when a college student gets an NIL deal.

I don't know...

I know Leonard Hamilton at Florida State said he wouldn't entertain taking on kids who had a "posse" or a bunch of hangers on...so they're out there...

42 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

If CBS or any TV network payed Billions to show G-League games, the players salary and TV time will go up drastically.    I would expect they would get the top players out of high school and market them just fine.  

That is the thing is that it won't happen because nobody cares about those GLeague teams and have no affiliation with them.  The reason the fans spend a lot of money for college sports is that they have a passion for that college program.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but we also need to draw the distinction between PR and advertising/marketing. 

Your name getting mentioned during a game broadcast or being interviewed pre/during/post-game is PR. You don't get compensated for that. Your highlights getting show on SportsCenter or calling into the ESPN morning radio show is PR. You don't get compensated for that. 

Now, where I agree with you and NIL is that all of that "free" PR builds your marketable value and players should get compensated if Company X wants to leverage a players notoriety to market their products or if ESPN wants to put a player in a commercial to market their college basketball coverage or promote on of their sponsors, etc.

But, you don't get paid for the interviews or in-game stuff. 

So this is a really interesting point - ESPN doesn't have to negotiate with Steph Curry to show a highlight of his on a commercial for an upcoming game because it's covered under the TV deal the NBA has with ESPN, and the ultimately does trickle down to Steph.

In the case of college athletes, it doesn't. They're not getting paid directly as part of that TV deal like Steph is in the form of his salary. I wonder what future court cases we may see covering this sort of thing, because from my amateur view it is a grey area. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He waited until May 2nd?  Is he a grad transfer?  Did we ever confirm that grad transfers have a different set of rules?

He entered the portal right before the deadline...

There is no deadline on choosing a new school as the article states.

Also, former Sparty big man Julius Marble winds up at Texas A&M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He waited until May 2nd?  Is he a grad transfer?  Did we ever confirm that grad transfers have a different set of rules?

They just had to inform the school before midnight of April 30 (although I've also seen midnight of May 1 which I think is incorrect). The school then has 2 days to officially enter them in the portal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

They just had to inform the school before midnight of April 30 (although I've also seen midnight of May 1 which I think is incorrect). The school then has 2 days to officially enter them in the portal.

May 1 at 11:59 was when a school had to be informed and paperwork started. That was the deadline for 2022. 

Edited by DC2345

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

May 1 at 11:59 was when a school had to be informed and paperwork started. 

Imagine a player putting the finishing touches on the email to inform the coaching staff at 11:58, only to have his wi-fi drop a millisecond before he hits Send.