Transfer Portal 2022

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Imagine a player putting the finishing touches on the email to inform the coaching staff at 11:58, only to have his wi-fi drop a millisecond before he hits Send.   

Then just imagine how dumb this player is and how disappointed the coaches are that they did not get the email in time. 

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Most college coaches could never survive in the NBA.

Nice to know that ours already did, and achieved a degree of success. Hell, he had the Knicks in the playoffs back to back seasons. That hadn’t been done since Ewing was playing, and still hasn’t been done again.

• Like 4

Am I’m I not missing something here? With the portal now closed and no IU players in the portal doesn’t that mean the only real unknowns for next year is TJD? 
If so that’s awesome, we have a head start on like 99% of the rest of the teams in terms of prepping for next year!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I find it funny how this point keeps being brought up. It’s not that anyone is devaluing a scholarship. What we are saying is that IF a kid CAN earn more outside of their scholarship via third party endorsement deals then it’s none of the NCAA’s business. 

The NCAA’s power of amateurism stops at a college not being able to pay an athlete. 

That’s wonderful, not disputing that. But it’s your opinion and others that a full ride is not good enough. All I’m saying is that people continue to leave that benefit out of their argument when saying these kids are taken advantage of. That’s fine if you feel that way, but they aren’t getting nothing. Still getting a decent deal anyway you slice it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Is IU full up for 2023 or do they have room for portal?  

Depends on what TJD does.  If he stays, technically, IU is full for next season, but as has been said with the NIL...who knows...could make for some very talented "walk-ons" for teams who find themselves in a scholarship crunch.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Talk about being a year or two late. Just given that this is Indiana and the month of May, I’d have loved to see a promotion involving TJD and Helio Castroneves while he was still driving Penske’s yellow sub. 

Yeah, doing an ad with Scott McLaughlin just wouldn’t be the same. 

23 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

That’s wonderful, not disputing that. But it’s your opinion and others that a full ride is not good enough. All I’m saying is that people continue to leave that benefit out of their argument when saying these kids are taken advantage of. That’s fine if you feel that way, but they aren’t getting nothing. Still getting a decent deal anyway you slice it. 

For probably 90% of college athletes a full ride probably is enough. Heck, it might even be more than enough in some cases (my opinion). I'm saving for 2 kids to go to college - it's a lot of money. I get it.

But then there are those (elite) athletes in revenue generating sports who can earn more on top of a scholarship. If a company is willing to pay an athlete above and beyond their scholarship, then their value is higher. If the athlete is unable to collect on his/her full value, then by definition they are not "getting enough" of what they can earn. That is fact. 

If athletes aren't allowed to collect on their full value, then yes, I think they are being taken advantage of and it's not right. THIS is an opinion, and it is shared by the Supreme Court in a 9-0 vote. For some, I don't think it's a decent deal no matter how you slice it. 

• Like 2