Transfer Portal 2022

Anything happen today or just normal Derby week people hitting the sauce on Monday? 

Talked to a guy today who is fairly dialed in with our old AD. IU just getting started on some stuff. Calculated classy moves is the way I would describe it. Not the pizza joint route. 

• Like 1

I just took a time machine to 2040 and would like to report my findings about the NIL.

Three trillion dollars in NIL contracts were given out by August 29th, 2040. The surviving boosters referred to this day as Judgment Day. They lived only to face a new nightmare: the money had run dry. The NCAA which controlled the boosters, sent two Terminators back through time. Their mission: to destroy the leaders of the NIL, the O'Bannon brothers. The first Terminator was programmed to strike Charles O'Bannon in the year 1975, before Charles was born. It failed. The second was set to strike at Ed O'Bannon when he was still a child. As before, the resistance was able to send a lone warrior, a protector for Ed. It was just a question of which one of them would reach him first.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That is the thing is that it won't happen because nobody cares about those GLeague teams and have no affiliation with them.  The reason the fans spend a lot of money for college sports is that they have a passion for that college program.

I wouldn't expect that a TV network is going to do it either.   

I think if the money is there to attract the talent, fans will come and get behind G-League teams.  NBA summer league in Vegas has become very popular.  Maybe it is because it is in Vegas, I don't know but I could see a real Summer League working when the NBA is not playing.   Also, not sure the NBA wants to have a product that might take away from the WNBA. 

19 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I just took a time machine to 2040 and would like to report my findings about the NIL.

Three trillion dollars in NIL contracts were given out by August 29th, 2040. The surviving boosters referred to this day as Judgment Day. They lived only to face a new nightmare: the money had run dry. The NCAA which controlled the boosters, sent two Terminators back through time. Their mission: to destroy the leaders of the NIL, the O'Bannon brothers. The first Terminator was programmed to strike Charles O'Bannon in the year 1975, before Charles was born. It failed. The second was set to strike at Ed O'Bannon when he was still a child. As before, the resistance was able to send a lone warrior, a protector for Ed. It was just a question of which one of them would reach him first.

Who played slap and tickle with Linda Hamilton?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

For probably 90% of college athletes a full ride probably is enough. Heck, it might even be more than enough in some cases (my opinion). I'm saving for 2 kids to go to college - it's a lot of money. I get it.

But then there are those (elite) athletes in revenue generating sports who can earn more on top of a scholarship. If a company is willing to pay an athlete above and beyond their scholarship, then their value is higher. If the athlete is unable to collect on his/her full value, then by definition they are not "getting enough" of what they can earn. That is fact. 

If athletes aren't allowed to collect on their full value, then yes, I think they are being taken advantage of and it's not right. THIS is an opinion, and it is shared by the Supreme Court in a 9-0 vote. For some, I don't think it's a decent deal no matter how you slice it. 

I respect that. We could probably analyze the positives and negatives forever. Regardless, we might as well get used to it. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I think if the money is there to attract the talent, fans will come and get behind G-League teams.  NBA summer league in Vegas has become very popular.  Maybe it is because it is in Vegas, I don't know but I could see a real Summer League working when the NBA is not playing.   Also, not sure the NBA wants to have a product that might take away from the WNBA. 

Not me, I tried to watch a game and I lasted about two minutes. That is actually about the same amount of an NBA game I can watch.

20 years ago the NCAA should have grown a pair and put their foot down.  They needed to work with the NBA and work it out that players go straight to the NBA or if they go to college they had to stay in 3 years. It seemed to work well in baseball so it could on basketball as well.  It would have allowed the kids who only cared about money and going to the NBA go pro. It would have kept them out of the college game where they didn't want to be in the first place.

Second they needed to actually enforce the rules and have harsh punishments for rule breakers.

1) If a program gets caught with level 1 infractions they get 3 years probation which includes 3 years of post season ban.  Second offense they get the death penalty and couldn't apply for reinstatement for 5 years 

2) A coach gets caught with a level 1 infraction loses his just b with a 5 year show clause. The second offense would result in a lifetime ban from coaching college basketball.

They should have just put me on charge and we could have still have the college game we use to live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

20 years ago the NCAA should have grown a pair and put their foot down.  They needed to work with the NBA and work it out that players go straight to the NBA or if they go to college they had to stay in 3 years. It seemed to work well in baseball so it could on basketball as well.  It would have allowed the kids who only cared about money and going to the NBA go pro. It would have kept them out of the college game where they didn't want to be in the first place.

Second they needed to actually enforce the rules and have harsh punishments for rule breakers.

1) If a program gets caught with level 1 infractions they get 3 years probation which includes 3 years of post season ban.  Second offense they get the death penalty and couldn't apply for reinstatement for 5 years 

2) A coach gets caught with a level 1 infraction loses his just b with a 5 year show clause. The second offense would result in a lifetime ban from coaching college basketball.

They should have just put me on charge and we could have still have the college game we use to live.

Dilly Dilly!

2 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So any news on Dexter Dennis front?

I would say the ship has sailed since we have no openings at this time. It appears it will still be awhile until TJD makes his decision so I doubt Dexter will wait that long. My only worry is if TJD waits until June to decide to stay in the draft then we will have trouble finding a good replacement.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, IU_Realist said:

No you are archaic and are OK with taking advantage of people. These athletes provide a lot of money to the schools and NCAA. They should get something in return other than an education. It’s archaic thoughts and let’s not change things because that wasn’t the way in my times that don’t progress us as a society. 

Thank you! I am an old fuddy duddy!! (ARCHAIC) I liked the way it WAS! If not for the colleges who would even know these young adults! IU scholly gives them A LIFE TIME OF OPPORTUNITY! So I guess when my or your or any others child was not gifted enough to play sports we are taking advantage. Sorry like when BEING A IU MBB WAS ENOUGH!. 

Edited by loviubb

1 hour ago, loviubb said:

Thank you! I am an old fuddy duddy!! (ARCHAIC) I liked the way it WAS! If not for the colleges who would even know these young adults! IU scholly gives them A LIFE TIME OF OPPORTUNITY! So I guess when my or your or any others child was not gifted enough to play sports we are taking advantage. Sorry like when BEING A IU MBB WAS ENOUGH!. 

Dude the universities and NCAA have taken advantage of kids for way too long under the guise of amateurism. It’s a fact. Money being allocated to the school is now being allocated to students who play a game they love.  It’s fair.  I am sorry that you like to take advantage of people for no reason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Dude the universities and NCAA have taken advantage of kids for way too long under the guise of amateurism. It’s a fact. Money being allocated to the school is now being allocated to students who play a game they love.  It’s fair.  I am sorry that you like to take advantage of people for no reason. 

If the players is being taken advantage of sign me up because I would love to be taken advantage of like that.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If the players is being taken advantage of sign me up because I would love to be taken advantage of like that.

Agree, that's not really the point, though.  

Inarguable that colleges take advantage of kids, absolutely 100% they do. The fact they throw a bread crumb and dangle it as an education is funny.  

I forget all the stupid types of charges they would make us pay semesterly. 

The fact that they are getting more than "some" is irrelevant. 

Edited by btownqb

12 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So any news on Dexter Dennis front?

Speculating between the lines here:

If he’s still in the portal waiting, that may be a sign that he is waiting for TJD to decide? And if this is the reason, you’d have to think the staff gave him a good reason that TJD’s scholarship would be available? 

Edited by tdhoosier

13 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I live in a city with a G-League team, and as a basketball lover, I don’t find it that appealing of a product.  The games are long, sloppy, and boring.  And the constant roster turnover makes it difficult to feel much connection to the team.  But I do occasionally go to games to support the team.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

It’s not worth it. I’m figuring this out….

old school thought process:

I have the ability to determine what fair compensation is and it is a scholarship. This is fair compensation whether you are a biology major who studies in your room or you are a football player who brings paying customers to a stadium, leads his team to a bowl game for which the school receives a monetary reward for, have highlights on ESPN for which his school receives positive exposure for, is put on billboards off the highway coming into campus, etc. This football player should also not be able to collect money on the side because: why does he need money? His housing and food is paid for. This sounds good enough to me.

BUT ME…..I should be making more than the janitor because I sell a lot of widgets that bring in revenue for my employer and the janitor just cleans the floor. I’m not undermining his job, but I’m more valuable to my company. It’d be silly to pay us the same thing. I should also be able to pick up a side job because I want to buy a boat. That’s my right!

BUT I’ve convinced myself that these instances aren’t the same because it would seem hypocritical. It also may affect the game I love and things should not change because I love the way it is. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s not worth it. I’m figuring this out….

old school thought process:

I have the ability to determine what fair compensation is and it is a scholarship. This is fair compensation whether you are a biology major who studies in your room or you are a football player who brings paying customers to a stadium, leads his team to a bowl game for which the school receives a monetary reward for, have highlights on ESPN for which his school receives positive exposure for, is put on billboards off the highway coming into campus, etc. This football player should also not be able to collect money on the side because: why does he need money? His housing and food is paid for. This sounds good enough to me.

BUT ME…..I should be making more than the janitor because I sell a lot of widgets that bring in revenue for my employer and the janitor just cleans the floor. I’m not undermining his job, but I’m more valuable to my company. It’d be silly to pay us the same thing. I should also be able to pick up a side job because I want to buy a boat. That’s my right!

BUT I’ve convinced myself that these instances aren’t the same because it would seem hypocritical. It also may affect the game I love and things should not change because I love the way it is. 

Also, the football player must be on his best behavior at all times because any bad press puts the school in negative light. I do not, under any circumstances, want to see him in a bar because he should be in the gym working out. My tax dollars are paying for his scholarship and he needs to perform at the highest level. He should be under a microscope at all times and it’s not too much to ask because he’s getting fairly compensated for these external pressures. And I also have the right to blow up his instagram and give him a piece of my mind when he has a bad game. He’s a big boy, he cant take it. This is D1 sports son…get use to it! 

….But i don’t care what the biology major on the same scholarship does. Go get arrested for public urination for all I care. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Also, the football player must be on his best behavior at all times because any bad press puts the school in negative light. I do not, under any circumstances, want to see him in a bar because he should be in the gym working out. My tax dollars are paying for his scholarship and he needs to perform at the highest level. He should be under a microscope at all times and it’s not too much to ask because he’s getting fairly compensated for these external pressures. And I also have the right to blow up his instagram and give him a piece of my mind when he has a bad game. He’s a big boy, he cant take it. This is D1 sports…get use to it! 

….But i don’t care what the biology major on the same scholarship does. Go get arrested for public urination for all I care. 

and if you even THINK about speeding, gone! And then I'm going to tweet about it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

and if you even THINK about speeding, gone! And then I'm going to tweet about it! 

If you missed curfew, go find another school! You no longer have the right to represent the name on the front of your jersey!

….And I still don’t want to see anybody’s names on the back of the jersey. You belong to us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If you missed curfew, go find another school! You no longer have the right to represent the name on the front of your jersey!

….And I still don’t want to see anybody’s names on the back of the jersey. You belong to us. 

Al Davis said it best, right? "just win baby, win". 

It's surface level. Anyone who tells your otherwise is lying. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well you're like 55, 5'8", 212, with a broken old jumper due to arthritis.  Along with the rest of us.  

When you start raking in 2.4 billion dollar tv contracts hit me up bro.  

• Like 5