Transfer Portal 2022

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know that no one is going to change their minds om this subject and know I won't.  I just hope IU don't stoop to just paying players like Miami is doing.

I worked part time during my years at IU. Was a waiter at The Tudor Room. Anyway...IU would host their football recruits there for Sunday brunch. Coworker found an envelope with a hefty amount of cash sitting on the table under a napkin. Wasn't a tip....haha.

My point is this. Paying guys has been going on forever even with the good guys in the game. I love the NIL because it brings it all above board now. 

Can't remember if I said earlier but I think this will be the hot thing for another recruiting cycle or two....and after that the powers at be will regulate somehow. Always happens. The kids will still have their $ but tightening transfer rules (like @IUFLA)  mentioned, strict academic guidelines put in place to earn the $ will be done.....and finally this one. Some kids do have high character. They might not want to be known as the NIL recruit and do something good with the $. Kid from Iowa football was a start.

Let's give it a chance to play itself out a bit is all I'm saying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I know that no one is going to change their minds om this subject and know I won't.  I just hope IU don't stoop to just paying players like Miami is doing.

Look on the bright side, Scott.  At least this NIL stuff is taking your mind off the shot clock, starting pitchers' inning counts, and the lost art of the mid-range jumper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting take from Hunter Dickinson 

Not sure he's got all of his facts straight about the schools assisting in securing deals, but he seems to be all in to offers being tied to NIL deals...sign the LOI first, and then the million dollar deal before the ink is dry on it...

I read through his interview extolling the unique virtues of UM and all I could think about was the Wal-Mart Wolverines...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I worked part time during my years at IU. Was a waiter at The Tudor Room. Anyway...IU would host their football recruits there for Sunday brunch. Coworker found an envelope with a hefty amount of cash sitting on the table under a napkin. Wasn't a tip....haha.

My point is this. Paying guys has been going on forever even with the good guys in the game. I love the NIL because it brings it all above board now. 

Can't remember if I said earlier but I think this will be the hot thing for another recruiting cycle or two....and after that the powers at be will regulate somehow. Always happens. The kids will still have their $ but tightening transfer rules (like @IUFLA)  mentioned, strict academic guidelines put in place to earn the $ will be done.....and finally this one. Some kids do have high character. They might not want to be known as the NIL recruit and do something good with the $. Kid from Iowa football was a start.

Let's give it a chance to play itself out a bit is all I'm saying. 

The extra year with Covid really boosted portal and grad transfers this year and last.   The numbers are bound to come down.    Especially with basically one free pass without having to sit a year.

Will be interesting to see if things do get regulated at all and how.   Like is a salary cap even thinkable?   Do they take away scholarships or just lower team numbers?   I'd be okay with raising academic standards but we all know certain schools don't have real classes as it is.  Lol  

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Look on the bright side, Scott.  At least this NIL stuff is taking your mind off the shot clock, starting pitchers' inning counts, and the lost art of the mid-range jumper.

The Reds themselves is making it easy to not care about baseball.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Scott  I  am a WHITE SOX FAN!!  Live my lfandom!

Being a White Sox fan is better than being a reds fan right now.  You also have won a World Series in the last 20 years.  I am 51 and the last time the reds won the World series I was 20.  Reds are 3-19 so I don't see where you have a reason to complain.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Being a White Sox fan is better than being a reds fan right now.  You also have won a World Series in the last 20 years.  I am 51 and the last time the reds won the World series I was 20.  Reds are 3-19 so I don't see where you have a reason to complain.

Scott I have been a SOX fan for over 50 years! At least not a CUB FAN!! 😄 

3 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Scott I have been a SOX fan for over 50 years! At least not a CUB FAN!! 😄 

I have been a Reds for that long. They have set a record this year for going the most starts to start a season with a pitcher not going 6 innings.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have been a Reds for that long. They have set a record this year for going the most starts to start a season with a pitcher not going 6 innings.  

At least you had the BIG RED MACHINE! I did  have  A WS in my life!

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If my mathematicals are right, Scott would have been somewhere between 4 and 6 during those titles. 

Come on…he’s old, not ancient. :coffee: 

Being a White Sox fan is NEVER EASY But better than being a Reds fan!😁 But even better than !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A CUBS FAN!!!!🍺

Man I didn't know having a specific Sox color was so huge to a team! I mean the Reds must love red socks and the other team must love white socks. They have it in their name. I wish someone would love to have black socks cause they never get dirty! The longer you wear them the blacker they get! Geez and here I thought the jersey was the main thing to the uniform boy was I wrong it is the sock's color! Haha. 

17 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

The extra year with Covid really boosted portal and grad transfers this year and last.   The numbers are bound to come down.    Especially with basically one free pass without having to sit a year.

Will be interesting to see if things do get regulated at all and how.   Like is a salary cap even thinkable?   Do they take away scholarships or just lower team numbers?   I'd be okay with raising academic standards but we all know certain schools don't have real classes as it is.  Lol  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Agreed. Also will be interesting to see how waiver requests are handled this cycle. The one time transfer rule change was supposed to eliminate all/most of these requests. But there's still the covid bubble you mentioned, so does that mean one more round of waivers? Or will the NCAA be scared of another lawsuit and keep granting them going forward? If so then it's going to continue to be crazy every off season.