Transfer Portal 2022

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

to get even further off topic, who names their sons Seth and Steph? C'mon Dell!

Dell's full name is Wardell. I use to have a Wardell on my staff. I always told him I'd put him in a 21st century "Leave it to Beaver" as Wardell Cleaver 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

My perception is a lot of basketball fans think things are travels/carries/palming when they aren't, There's obviously times those are missed, but I hear a lot of complaints about it when it isn't there, too. 

Perhaps…but basically the nba has just allowed it so much it is too deeply part of the game to take out now. It is what it is. In my opinion carrying is like holding in the NFL…except even called less. It is only called on the most eggregious circumstances when a player or team gets an obvious or too big an advantage. By the letter of the law it happens on every possession at some point. Here is an officials video (so from the experts) and if you don’t think these moves don’t happen on almost every possession then I don’t know what to tell you. That said it’s part of the game now…and the rule is basically null and void…like many other rules that basically get taken out of the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Joey Crawford right??! Like the TV Teddy of the nba lol.

Joey Crawford is crazy! When I worked for the Celtics I would sometimes do the scorekeeping. I was doing the scorekeeping during that Celtics-Pacers series when Pierce was talking trash with Al Harrington and he hit that 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter in one of the games. 

Anyways, during one of the games in that series a Celtic hit a shot that was called a 2 but the Celtics owner (essentially my boss) thought it was a 3. During a timeout he comes over and is yelling at me to change it to a 3. 

Joey Crawford sees this and comes over and starts yelling at me at the same time asking "who the F is this guy telling you to change the score? This is my F'ing game and I make the rules!" 

A bit of an uncomfortable spot for me 🤣.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

My perception is a lot of basketball fans think things are travels/carries/palming when they aren't, There's obviously times those are missed, but I hear a lot of complaints about it when it isn't there, too. 

I'm sure that happens but not nearly as much as travels/carries/palming that goes uncalled.  It's just become the norm because it's something that players are allowed to get away with more so than they used to be able to.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree, especially when talking about the NBA. A lot of fans don't understand the "gather step" in the NBA. 

• Like 1

Looks like Butler has picked up a couple of bigs in the last week. 6'10" Jalen Thomas from Georgia St and 6'11" Manny Bates from NC State. Bates averaged 10 and 6 as a soph but only played 1 minute this past year due to a shoulder injury. Now back to your NBA talk. Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Perhaps…but basically the nba has just allowed it so much it is too deeply part of the game to take out now. It is what it is. In my opinion carrying is like holding in the NFL…except even called less. It is only called on the most eggregious circumstances when a player or team gets an obvious or too big an advantage. By the letter of the law it happens on every possession at some point. Here is an officials video (so from the experts) and if you don’t think these moves don’t happen on almost every possession then I don’t know what to tell you. That said it’s part of the game now…and the rule is basically null and void…like many other rules that basically get taken out of the game.

I think the problem is that what use to be called travel or palming is just a normal move today.  To me the Euro step and a jump stop is actually a travel if you call it by the actual rules.  A jump stop is actually having both feet off the ground and coming back down with the ball which is a travel.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think the problem is that what use to be called travel or palming is just a normal move today.  To me the Euro step and a jump stop is actually a travel if you call it by the actual rules.  A jump stop is actually having both feet off the ground and coming back down with the ball which is a travel.

If a Euro step is a travel, then every single lay up you have ever shot is a travel. Any lay up anyone has ever shot... is a travel. There isn't an extra step in a euro step compared to a regular layup. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

If a Euro step is a travel, then every single lay up you have ever shot is a travel. Any lay up anyone has ever shot... is a travel. There isn't an extra step in a euro step compared to a regular layup. 

I see a lot 3 steps on the Euro step

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Except they aren’t. And if you think that you don’t know modern basketball rules, which does explain a lot. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

This is a high school rule discussion you posted, what is the relevance?

And I only made it through the first two examples but he’s wrong on the second one. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Except they aren’t. And if you think that you don’t know modern basketball rules, which does explain a lot. 

I understand stand them but that is where the disconnect comes because things we seen called for years are now just a normal move.