Transfer Portal 2022

10 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I lose track of who is discussed where on this board.

Anyway, Dexter Dennis is announcing tomorrow at 4 pm, per a short mention from our hard-working member The Daily Hoosier.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/the-daily-hoosier-report-the-latest-in-iu-news-and-recruiting-notes-5-12/

Not going to Indiana.If Trayce goes pro we get no one from portal.Too late in the game for any impact player.Team is set for next year.No defensive stopper on team will be the weakness next year.Could still be a better team.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not going to Indiana.If Trayce goes pro we get no one from portal.Too late in the game for any impact player.Team is set for next year.No defensive stopper on team will be the weakness next year.Could still be a better team.

Mike Woodson is probably training our guys like NBA players, even though 90% will never see that. A whole summer of training and working on shortcomings. On paper, we will have the talent to make it to weekend 2 in the tourney. Losing rob hurts on D, but I expect some leaps from JG, TB and others bc of my first sentence.

Edited by Coach Robby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Last years team was top 25 with Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp on the wings. We have plenty of athleticism on this team to be top 15/20.  The only problem this team that is a huge question mark is standing around too much on offense and shooting.  O was in the 90s last year…..wasn’t good.  Dennis wasn’t making this team better. 

2 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Mike Woodson is probably training our guys like NBA players, even though 90% will never see that. A whole summer of training and working on shortcomings. On paper, we will have the talent to make it to weekend 2 in the tourney. Losing rob hurts on D, but I expect some leaps from JG, TB and others bc of my first sentence.

90% of this board doesn’t realize how much better NBA basketball is than college, so you’re correct in saying they won’t get that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mike said:

You do understand there's a lot of portal players waiting until others officially declare for the draft right? If TJD leaves, IU will 100% get someone, and probably someone pretty good. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

You do understand there's a lot of portal players waiting until others officially declare for the draft right? If TJD leaves, IU will 100% get someone, and probably someone pretty good. 

I remember Fife saying when he first joined IU that with extra Covid year, portal rules,etc....and the chance for reclassification that you'll have some coaches scrambling into August. 

I'm with you. If we don't get Dennis (fine either way) and TJD leaves...we will still be getting someone this summer.

11 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Last years team was top 25 with Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp on the wings. We have plenty of athleticism on this team to be top 15/20.  The only problem this team that is a huge question mark is standing around too much on offense and shooting.  O was in the 90s last year…..wasn’t good.  Dennis wasn’t making this team better. 

Dennis absolutely makes this team better. He has elements to his game that we don't have. 

Standing around too much is a result of not having enough ball handlers, and will be rectified this year. They have already mentioned playing with better pace, Dennis would help that. It certainly doesn't seem like a "huge" question mark though, just a natural adjustment that needs to occur now that we are more skilled and can execute that type of offense. 

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

90% of this board doesn’t realize how much better NBA basketball is than college, so you’re correct in saying they won’t get that. 

Seriously though, just one of those "90%ers" opinion...

Are the players better? Undoubtedly 

Is the basketball better? Debatable 

Are there more divas/beefs/mock tough guys/drama? 😂

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I remember Fife saying when he first joined IU that with extra Covid year, portal rules,etc....and the chance for reclassification that you'll have some coaches scrambling into August. 

I'm with you. If we don't get Dennis (fine either way) and TJD leaves...we will still be getting someone this summer.

Dennis isn't committing to IU so it's not a factor. IF TJD leaves they'll find someone if they want. That said I still think he'll be back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Seems the real question is what = better?  And isn't that just all opinion?    😊

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One man's opinion who is both an NBA and college basketball fan. 

1. Are the players better?

Absolutely, 100%

2. Is the basketball better?

Not even close, the NBA play is far superior

3. Are there more divas/beefs/mock tough guys/drama?

Sure, I'd lean NBA here, but I think it's much, much closer than most college fans would like to admit. Isn't it being a diva to an extent that coaches have to pander to handlers, AAU coaches, family member, etc., when recruiting a kid, and then do it all over again every offseason to convince them to stay? Coaches have to worry about every kid that things don't go perfect for entering the portal? 

All that stuff makes it challenging and creates drama, we just don't always hear about all of it as college fans compared to the NBA because the NBA is a national sport and college is more regional, etc. 

I know this makes it sound like I don’t like college basketball, but I love it. I love the pageantry, the history, the game environment, the rivalries, etc., but IMO the actual game play isn't really that good. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yep and I am of the opinion that even guys who withdraw that didn't enter the portal in time will be allowed to play next year. There's no way the NCAA will risk denying a kid their NIL opportunity by making him sit out a season. That's just another lawsuit waiting to happen and they'd lose again.

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, 100%

Sure, I'd lean NBA here, but I think it's much, much closer than most college fans would like to admit. Isn't it being a diva to an extent that coaches have to pander to handlers, AAU coaches, family member, etc., when recruiting a kid, and then do it all over again every offseason to convince them to stay? Coaches have to worry about every kid that things don't go perfect for entering the portal? 

All that stuff makes it challenging and creates drama, we just don't always hear about all of it as college fans compared to the NBA because the NBA is a national sport and college is more regional, etc. 

I know this makes it sound like I don’t like college basketball, but I love it. I love the pageantry, the history, the game environment, the rivalries, etc., but IMO the actual game play isn't really that good. 

When someone decides they don’t like the NBA they’ll make up nonsense and use that as their argument. 

Right now I’m probably a bigger college basketball fan, but the NBA is a vastly superior product in terms of talent as well as play style. Doesn’t make it wrong to enjoy either one more, but when people say the NBA is terrible it’s just obviously such a disingenuous argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

20 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Seems the real question is what = better?  And isn't that just all opinion?    😊

Yes, as I've already stated...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, 100%

You know, I was a huge NBA fan growing up. Loved the 60s Celtics teams (hey, kids love a winner, and they were the epitome of the word). Then the Pacers came along, and I became more of an ABA fan. I still followed the NBA, but after Bill Russell retired, I lost interest in the C's, and just watched whatever teams were on...and for some reason I didn't like the Cowens/Jo Jo White Celtics.

The NBA was so bad in the late 70s-early 80s that they didn't even show the Finals live. Think about that for a minute.

Of course, I, like everybody else, got caught up in the Bird-Magic story, and that revitalized my fandom. I pretty much stayed a fan until the last 10 years or so. I think my fandom waned again when LeBron to Miami. I think it was then I realized that any semblance of loyalty was long gone. I did root for Cleveland when he returned and was glad they won, but not so much because of the return of the prodigal son, but more because before that Cleveland hadn't won anything since the Browns won in 64. 

I think what really turned me off was the "team stacking" and the perception that the players run the teams. I read an article today about Jeanie Buss still relying on Phil Jackson for advice, even though LeBron and his team don't like it...Good for her...

There are a few other things I'm not a big fan of. I'm not big on the woofing and lack of sportsmanship. The other day when someone posted the clip of Al Horford exacting revenge on Giannis for woofing, I smiled...I know it happens in college too, but not to the degree it does in the NBA. 

Anyway, again, just one man's opinion...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Player development obviously happens at the professional level and guys make noticeable/substantial jumps from one year to the next, but for me, one of the best things about following IU is the growth some players make while wearing the Cream and Crimson.

Guys that stick with it and find their opportunity and thrive as an upperclassman. Jeff Newton, Coverdale, Oladipo, Rod Wilmont... the list goes on and on. Because I love IU, I get invested in their journey and it is a joy to see them put "it" together and find success.

I feel that way about Trey, JG and Bates (amongst others)... I'm excited to see what they can become.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

It is about what you enjoy and find entertaining and for me the NBA is neither.  I have probably watched a total of about 15 minutes of the playoffs.  I have watched more of the Reds than the NBA and basketball is by fary favorite sport.