Transfer Portal 2022

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am shocked that 'Zona is even interested in him.

That makes two of us until I read this gem...

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Maybe they’ve noticed all the former KY players who improved a lot after leaving 

Absolutely golden response...it's a good thing I wasn't drinking when I read it.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

For the "same guys are returning crowd" 

We'll never know how much damage the Covid year did or didn't do to guys returning or transferring,etc. and impact on these types of numbers. I do know after watching Calipari swim upstream for years....trying to get a roster together inside of 4-5 months with all knew players isn't the way right now.

A solid core of 6-7 kids who are  2-3 year type guys peppered in with an elite prospect or two each year along with 2-3 glue guys in a program that probably won't earn US currency at the next level but you can always count on him on game night.... is the way to playing basketball in April. 

I'm seeing us build that model right before my eyes and it's glorious. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

We'll never know how much damage the Covid year did or didn't do to guys returning or transferring,etc. and impact on these types of numbers. I do know after watching Calipari swim upstream for years....trying to get a roster together inside of 4-5 months with all knew players isn't the way right now.

A solid core of 6-7 kids who are  2-3 year type guys peppered in with an elite prospect or two each year along with 2-3 glue guys in a program that probably won't earn US currency at the next level but you can always count on him on game night.... is the way to playing basketball in April. 

Absolutely. And I am still bullish on the idea of---- "what do NBA people do best"... they develop.  They develop people like Anthony Davis from an elite defender and a guy that can Oreb and catch lobs... to an elite offensive player...... so, knowing that.... 

I'm drooling about what CMW and co can do with JG, TB, and others. 

I just don't think our fanbase is grasping that stuff because we are so green/jaded to it. 

Like real development still happens. I mean, that was Knight thing right? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And... we don't need EVERYONE to develop to be very good..... literally if TB grows to a 25mpg---- we're elite. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Absolutely. And I am still bullish on the idea of---- "what do NBA people do best"... they develop.  They develop people like Anthony Davis from an elite defender and a guy that can Oreb and catch lobs... to an elite offensive player...... so, knowing that.... 

I'm drooling about what CMW and co can do with JG, TB, and others. 

I just don't think our fanbase is grasping that stuff because we are so green/jaded to it. 

Like real development still happens. I mean, that was Knight thing right? 

Last 20 years we had two teams what I wanted. 1 (2002) made it to the final and the other (2013) just ran into a bad matchup with our guards. Take a hybrid of both those teams year in and out and we'll be back in April in the coming years. 

Now we have established the benefit of guard game here (X, JHS)...and other guards coming/returning. Now we just cherry pick the elite 4/5 big recruit or big transfer to fill the void of TJD/Race leaving all the time having a guy like Malik waiting his turn. The blueprint is there and Woodson in 1 full year has put it in motion. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Last 20 years we had two teams what I wanted. 1 (2002) made it to the final and the other (2013) just ran into a bad matchup with our guards. Take a hybrid of both those teams year in and out and we'll be back in April in the coming years. 

Now we have established the benefit of guard game here (X, JHS)...and other guards coming/returning. Now we just cherry pick the elite 4/5 big recruit or big transfer to fill the void of TJD/Race leaving all the time having a guy like Malik waiting his turn. The blueprint is there and Woodson in 1 full year has put it in motion. 

I think 2016 we were very good, as well. Hartman, Johnson, Morgan all injured for the Sw16 and UNC shot lights out. We were damn good. 

Either way, we're on the same wave length. 

And you're right about Malik. Like we just casually picked him up lol--- oh a 5 star available. We want him. You know? Everything went right there. 

Anyways-- if JHS and MR were instate kids, the excitement for this season would be nexted to unmatched. What if--- JHS has a Yogi/Blackmon impact (all 3 similarly ranked)... what if Malik has a TJD/Thomas Bryant impact (all 3 similarly ranked)... you get where I'm going with all this with my last post. 

If TWO of-- MR, JHS, TB, and JG are where we need them to be.... dear god. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Meanwhile back in the portal...

Yeah. Sorry. I guess we are regularly on topic now? 

Anyways--- I made a mistale where I posted my initial post. It was suppose to go in the Offseason 2022 thread. 

I didn't want to interupt the Illinois discussion in that thread, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry Seeking. This post was suppose to go in the offseason thread. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Meanwhile back in the portal...

Haha....sorry gang. Hit the course at 1 which meant first Coors Light was popped at 1:01. 

Speaking of the transfer portal. Sure glad we have a ship that isn't having to that nonsense into June or beyond. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha....sorry gang. Hit the course at 1 which meant first Coors Light was popped at 1:01. 

Speaking of the transfer portal. Sure glad we have a ship that isn't having to that nonsense into June or beyond. 

Coors light. Thats a non starter, 6. 

You'll need to try harder to seduce me. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Are you saying that Coors Light is joining the transfer portal? Hopefully Coors teams up with Molson Ice and Keystone. Easily the best front court in the country. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Are you saying that Coors Light is joining the transfer portal? Hopefully Coors teams up with Molson Ice and Keystone. Easily the best front court in the country. 

Talk like that gives me the Schlitz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I missed the whole Gonzaga detour. So, just to catch up, in my view, Gonzaga legitimately impressed me the past couple of seasons in particular.  I think they are well set up with good coaching and they had very good talent.  But I agree with the premise that their conference schedule ruins it for them.  When they get into the tourney against another really good team that can bring athleticism or do some things that you have to deal with, they are taken aback and just seemingly startled by it and having to deal with it. They rarely ever encounter it.   

It's like the 6'9 kid in high school who plays 6'4-6'5 centers most nights.  Then, he sees a guy his size, and he gets stymied.  Or it is the opposite of the coach that has a practice where the offense faces seven defenders.  It's like they have been practicing against four defenders.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, IU Scott said:

Cracks me up you are talking about a program who has been in the championship game two out of the last five years. You talk like they lose early every year but they at least make the sweet 16 most years.

If you get the number one seed EVERY  year, you’re bound to do well at some point. 

• Like 3

On 6/3/2022 at 1:28 PM, IUFLA said:

No one, anywhere, said that only those 2 were going to make up 66 PPG, and anyone who's not been measured for a fit to size dunce cap (like you) understands that. 

OK....when I mentioned Shannon Jr and Mayer, you responded thusly:

"So Shannon (career 11 ppg) and Mayer (career 7 ppg) are going to make up those 66 ppg you lost? 

Ooookay...is that the math they teach in Champaign? "

I mean, it's pretty strange the way you react when the posts are right there for anyone to read?

Yeah probably best to just ignore these things instead of breaking out the name calling and insults. I'll promise to try and avoid your posts as well.

15 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

OK....when I mentioned Shannon Jr and Mayer, you responded thusly:

"So Shannon (career 11 ppg) and Mayer (career 7 ppg) are going to make up those 66 ppg you lost? 

Ooookay...is that the math they teach in Champaign? "

I mean, it's pretty strange the way you react when the posts are right there for anyone to read?

Yeah probably best to just ignore these things instead of breaking out the name calling and insults. I'll promise to try and avoid your posts as well.

image.jpeg.2eb1053e1198799368d5a58b9ce8a27b.jpeg

• Haha 3