Transfer Portal 2022

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Well, wouldn’t that be quite the anomaly now.

Guy who can academically qualify for all that is Northwestern decides to take his basketball talents to the bastion of academia that is North Carolina!

Sign him up! See if he maintains that 4.0 GPA.  Go Pete Nance, go! Be the best you while matriculating at the highest level. 

Smh

Better there than Illinois though... 

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

yeah, that’s really not the point. Could care less about Illinois. 

Smart kid… seems to me that if he goes to UNC, he’s turning his back on any academic integrity.

Far cry from being a Northwestern student athlete.

He’s been at NW four years. May already have his degree

56 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I get that. Still, there’s that integrity word that kinda hangs over his decision 

But UNC is one of the top public universities in the nation. I get the scandal that they had, but assuming Nance doesn’t enter a fake degree program he will be getting a quality and well respected education. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Smart kid… seems to me that if he goes to UNC, he’s turning his back on any academic integrity.

Whose integrity are you questioning here? Nance's or UNC's?

UNC will wear that stain in some people's mind forever... But I don't think you can question the integrity of a kid who's simply trying to find the best situation for himself basketball wise. Brady Mancek left, and and Nance fits that position nicely on a team that brings back everybody else from a NCAA Championship runner up. It makes a ton of sense for the kid and his career goals. 

He IS a smart kid... And if he chooses the Tar Heels, I don't think having a UNC and/or Northwestern degree on his resume is going to hurt him at all. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

while living in NC for 23 years i have grown to hate Duke and UNC, but a degree from Chapel Hill is considered quite prestigious regardless of the scandal.  very difficult school to get into for a non athlete.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Better shooting percentage from 3 than 2 which is interesting. 

Be interesting to see how this works out. Short for a two guard at 6’1” and role changed for a bad team and minutes on average was less than 20 minutes per game. Didn’t even average more than 10 ppg last year.  Probably more of a bench player than starter.  

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Dude was a high octane scorer for the Jackrabbits.  

Here's an interesting one re Jenkins...

Utah went 2-6 in their last 8 games... In the 6 losses, Jenkins averaged 16 minutes per. In the 2 wins he averaged 3 minutes per.

He started the first 9 games of the year, but didn't start again after that...and that was on a team that finished 11-20 overall, and 4-14 in the Pac12... 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Be interesting to see how this works out. Short for a two guard at 6’1” and role changed for a bad team and minutes on average was less than 20 minutes per game. Didn’t even average more than 10 ppg last year.  Probably more of a bench player than starter.  

Looks like he’s an upgrade over both Hunter and Thompson from last year. And he’s averaged 41% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game throughout his career.  Hoping he can have an impact like Jahaad Proctor did for us a few years back. IF I had to pick a starting lineup right now, I’d probably go:

PG- Smith

SG- Newman

SF- Morton

PF- Gillis

C- Edey

First guys off the bench would be Furst, Jenkins, TKR, and Loyer IMO. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's an interesting one re Jenkins...

Utah went 2-6 in their last 8 games... In the 6 losses, Jenkins averaged 16 minutes per. In the 2 wins he averaged 3 minutes per.

He started the first 9 games of the year, but didn't start again after that...and that was on a team that finished 11-20 overall, and 4-14 in the Pac12... 

Odd indeed. 

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yogi says HELLO....

And? Yogi was faster and more athletic as well. Yogi was a PG not a short 2 guard who had his starting spot taken away from him early and his role changed and played on a really bad team. 

@Stlboiler23dont think this is an upgrade.  This is just a roster fill for a year or hope he was greatly misused at Utah. He lost his starting role and role changed.  Something to be concerned about especially when you play for a horrible team. He has also hoped around a lot. Proctor was better, taller, more efficient, etc. 

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

And? Yogi was faster and more athletic as well. Yogi was a PG not a short 2 guard who had his starting spot taken away from him early and his role changed and played on a really bad team. 

@Stlboiler23dont think this is an upgrade.  This is just a roster fill for a year or hope he was greatly misused at Utah. He lost his starting role and role changed.  Something to be concerned about especially when you play for a horrible team. He has also hoped around a lot. Proctor was better, taller, more efficient, etc. 

His stats look pretty similar to Proctor tbh. A little worse fg% on more shots but much better from 3. 

I do agree it’s likely a roster fill for a year. Give Smith someone who can back him up before DGL comes in the following year. I was hoping DGL could reclassify tbh.