Transfer Portal 2022

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Emoni Bates to Eastern Michigan?  I take it he's from around there.

So the most Kevin Durant comparison recruit goes from commitment to Michigan St, to commitment to Memphis, to transfer to Eastern Michigan all in 2 years.

Kid....you aren't getting good advice from anyone in your corner. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So the most Kevin Durant comparison recruit goes from commitment to Michigan St, to commitment to Memphis, to transfer to Eastern Michigan all in 2 years.

Kid....you aren't getting good advice from anyone in your corner. 

I don't know, Seek. The kid who played for his dad at Milwaukee ended up being a 1st round pick playing against similar or lesser competition.

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't know, Seek. The kid who played for his dad at Milwaukee ended up being a 1st round pick playing against similar or lesser competition.

Yeah.  Personally, I am surprised that more of these highly regarded recruits don't go the "small" school route.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Would love to know more than 1 example.....

Makur Maker went to Howard, got hurt, played two games and missed the rest of the season with injury. Signed to play professionally in Australia. Charles Bassey spent 3 years at Western Kentucky and was a 2nd round draft pick.  Mitchell Robinson committed to Western Kentucky but never played for them.  He trained on his own for a year and was a 2nd round draft pick.  All big guys and two were foreign born.  Maybe they just weren't cut out for college ball. Maker was probably over rated but the other two are in the NBA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know about the kid (Emoni) but Parrish makes his Dad look like the bad actor here. I think we've seen that act before... 

Yeah, the article was highly critical of the Dad for sure.  Appears to me the old man is/was pretty eager to cash in on his son without having the kid's interests at heart.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

In his recent interview, Coach Rosemond pretty much said Lander's issues were more confidence and learning the PG role than talent.

But I mean immediate talent to play regular minutes. To me talent includes feel for the game and confidence, not just physical tools. He has the physical talent to do well in the future, but he was overmatched in most games. I saw improvement, but his lack of confidence was obvious, and when the player doesn't have the confidence, the coaches will not either. But then I guess what you're saying is Lander was a head case as much as anything, which makes sense. But I don't think he was physically mature enough to compete either. Besides speed/quickness, he really couldn't do much. His shot did get better. I never understood why he didn't try to take it to the hole more often, he used to throw up a lot of garbage threes. But I was a fan and hoped he would stick it out. I think by his senior year he'll be really fun to watch. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

21 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

But I mean immediate talent to play regular minutes. To me talent includes feel for the game and confidence, not just physical tools. He has the physical talent to do well in the future, but he was overmatched in most games. I saw improvement, but his lack of confidence was obvious, and when the player doesn't have the confidence, the coaches will not either. But then I guess what you're saying is Lander was a head case as much as anything, which makes sense. But I don't think he was physically mature enough to compete either. Besides speed/quickness, he really couldn't do much. His shot did get better. I never understood why he didn't try to take it to the hole more often, he used to throw up a lot of garbage threes. But I was a fan and hoped he would stick it out. I think by his senior year he'll be really fun to watch. 

Yes, a head case but a different type of one than Bates. He also doesn't have the dad baggage of Bates.