Transfer Portal 2022

On 6/30/2022 at 8:18 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

Granted, some of these guys might have played prior to star rankings being a thing....

Karl Malone

Steve Nash

Scottie Pippen

George Gervin

Dennis Rodman

Steph Curry

Robert Parish

Nash always hurts because he sent IU a tape for us to consider him.  Imagine him in that era as an IU player.  Holy smokes.  Man, would he have been loved.  

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Another excellent off season article by the staff of @The Daily Hoosier...

The insight on Lander is revealing...

Calipari has made the same comment about KY:

One thing Rosemond says he has learned — not every kid is cut out for the bright lights and big stage at a program with a passionate fan base like IU.

That revelation has shaped the way he evaluates prospects on the recruiting trail.

“Not everybody can play here,” Rosemond said.  “Even guys that are really, really talented, they can’t play here.  So even now in recruiting, I’m looking for guys that can play in this bubble.”

• Like 2

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Another excellent off season article by the staff of @The Daily Hoosier...

The insight on Lander is revealing...

The day NIL became official, Lander said it was time for players to "finally get paid."  For playing video games.  That was his first focus.  

That told me a lot about his priorities, and how his spent his time.

I thought he was the next great guard for IU.  I was wrong. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

The day NIL became official, Lander said it was time for players to "finally get paid."  For playing video games.  That was his first focus.  

Rosemond comes at it from the talent perspective, but I think you're right... Maturity had a lot to do with it as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

But thats the thing.. he was never elite. He never dominated. He had a decent showing or two his JR year in the sectional... but he rarely took games over. His teams play was never overly elevated because of his presence on the court. 

I was simply astonished watching him for 5 or 6 years.... that he was ever considered a "can't miss" 5 star type dude. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But thats the thing.. he was never elite. He never dominated. He had a decent showing or two his JR year in the sectional... but he rarely took games over. His teams play was never overly elevated because of his presence on the court. 

I was simply astonished watching him for 5 or 6 years.... that he was ever considered a "can't miss" 5 star type dude. 

Yet in the article I cited, Yasir Rosemond said, "Talent wasn’t the issue."

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yet in the article I cited, Yasir Rosemond said, "Talent wasn’t the issue."

Well... if you are talented to play D1 basketball at WKU you're one of the best .1% of basketball players on the planet. 

I would also have been pretty pissed off at Ya if he would say anything derogatory about any of our dudes that left. He gains (we gain) nothing by an Asst coach doing that. Plus KL was heckuva teammate (outside view).. and was a very good student. 

I did agree with what he said that if KL was willing to be patient... it might have worked. Like... as in, he was sitting the bench for another year or two. Maybe by then he could have been a factor in our rotation? 

It's evident Khristian doesn't have a lot of interest in being patient though. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well... if you are talented to play D1 basketball at WKU you're one of the best .1% of basketball players on the planet. 

I would also have been pretty pissed off at Ya if he would say anything derogatory about any of our dudes that left. He gains (we gain) nothing by an Asst coach doing that. Plus KL was heckuva teammate (outside view).. and was a very good student. 

I did agree with what he said that if KL was willing to be patient... it might have worked. Like... as in, he was sitting the bench for another year or two. Maybe by then he could have been a factor in our rotation? 

It's evident Khristian doesn't have a lot of interest in being patient though. 

I never saw him in high school, and I don't have the practiced eye of a coach, but the one thing I did notice about Khristian during his time at IU was his at least above average court vision, which is an essential trait for a PG. His decision making wasn't very good at times, but I thought he improved there at least some. I also thought he was physically overmatched a lot...

As far as the talent goes, I guess we'll see in the coming year. If I see a Western Kentucky game scheduled on TV, I do plan on watching. I hope the best for the kid...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I never saw him in high school, and I don't have the practiced eye of a coach, but the one thing I did notice about Khristian during his time at IU was his at least above average court vision, which is an essential trait for a PG. His decision making wasn't very good at times, but I thought he improved there at least some. I also thought he was physically overmatched a lot...

As far as the talent goes, I guess we'll see in the coming year. If I see a Western Kentucky game scheduled on TV, I do plan on watching. I hope the best for the kid...

Agree a bunch with the bold. Which is why he looked good at times in AAU, its much more "free" in an aau setting. Way more open court/fast breaks... compared to school ball. 

And... he had a TON of help. 

But.. like watching him against a team vs Bloom S.. he gets locked up because he is going against a set defense the entire game. And then, like you brought up... he is physically below average... he struggled to "get his own". 

I'm rooting for him, as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Allow players to transfer as much as they want. But the key is to remind them that with every action and decision comes consequences, some good, some bad.

It's nuance, but having the opportunity to transfer and actually transferring are different things. If a player feels it necessary, they shouldn't be limited or punished for pursuing what they think is best for him/her. Again, it doesn't mean it will all work out rosy every time, but they should at least be given the possibility of choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Not surprised at all by this. Have already seen a bunch of waivers approved for the upcoming season. True free agency is here! Who will be the first player to transfer at halftime of a game and suit up for the other side? 🤣

Meyer commented that Illini had it all….great facilities & NIL was strong 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Took a screenshot from Twitter.  Go….

image.thumb.png.894e674fca4ba9d02802242c223cc205.png

I wonder what metric they are using to determine whether the transfer is up, down, or lateral. I.e. 2021-2022 final KenPom ranking? I checked that twitter handle and they really don’t clarify how they come about their findings. 

And what is considered up, down or lateral? Is Rob’s transfer to Xavier lateral based on the 2021-22 results? Or is it down based on 2022-23 projections? 

Either way, that 46% number is striking, if true. Talk about a miscalculation by those players. 

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I wonder what metric they are using to determine whether the transfer is up, down, or lateral. I.e. 2021-2022 final KenPom ranking? I checked that twitter handle and they really don’t clarify how they come about their findings. 

And what is considered up, down or lateral? Is Rob’s transfer to Xavier lateral based on the 2021-22 results? Or is it down based on 2022-23 projections? 

Either way, that 46% number is striking, if true. Talk about a miscalculation by those players. 

It makes no sense.  I can't think of one player that I'm aware of that is sitting out next year.  46% needs some major explaining.  This has to be severely false.  

35 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My guess would be that it's more based on conference vs individual teams, and even then more on perception (Power 5 vs Mid-Major) than anything like KenPom.

So going from the Big Ten to the MAC would be transferring down. Going from SC Upstate to Division II would be transferring down, etc., etc.

Going from the Big Ten to the Big East would be lateral. 

Just my guess. 

29 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It makes no sense.  I can't think of one player that I'm aware of that is sitting out next year.  46% needs some major explaining.  This has to be severely false.  

Verbal Commits has 1750 names on their transfer list for 2022 alone. A vanishingly small percent of those names are players I've ever heard of. Many names are transferring to or from a school I wouldn't know existed if not for the occasional buy game. Some players don't have a new school listed at all; I presume they are being counted among the 46% not playing basketball next season. 

The national discourse around the transfer portal focuses on power conference teams, and especially Top 25 teams using up-transfers from smaller schools to reload. But that's only the tip of the transfer iceberg. There are 358 teams in Div I alone, and most transfer activity goes unnoticed.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Verbal Commits has 1750 names on their transfer list for 2022 alone. A vanishingly small percent of those names are players I've ever heard of. Many names are transferring to or from a school I wouldn't know existed if not for the occasional buy game. Some players don't have a new school listed at all; I presume they are being counted among the 46% not playing basketball next season. 

The national discourse around the transfer portal focuses on power conference teams, and especially Top 25 teams using up-transfers from smaller schools to reload. But that's only the tip of the transfer iceberg. There are 358 teams in Div I alone, and most transfer activity goes unnoticed.

So are 46% uncommitted?  I can see the extra covid year all players were blanketed with causing a glut of players, lack of scholarships, and leaving some on the outside looking in.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

So are 46% uncommitted?  I can see the extra covid year all players were blanketed with causing a glut of players, lack of scholarships, and leaving some on the outside looking in.  

I doubt 46% are uncommitted. Looking at the Verbal Commits list, it seems a vast majority have new teams.  I noticed a guy from Ball State transferred with no new team listed. They had a coaching change so turnover is to be expected. Ball State had 5 guys leave, 3 are reported to new teams and 1 guy appears to be playing professionally in Finland. Obviously that's a tiny sample and I'm sure there are players that will be left out but I'd bet it's a much smaller number than 46%.