Transfer Portal 2022

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would bet that there are a lot of older fans thinking about stopping watching college sports.  I have pretty much stopped watching the NBA except for the Pacers and don't watch them as often.

Not me...I'll hold out til the bitter end! Until XJ drives up in...er Race Thompson motors into my driveway with the other 12 scholarship players demanding I produce a bag full of money, or they'll burn their IU warmups on my porch and all transfer to Purdue on the strength of a Purdue Pete bobblehead deal! 

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, loviubb said:

Was a big FAN OF HTD AND VERY PROUD TO EVEN GETTING  CLOSE TO HIS THOUGHTS!! PEE ON THE SMELLERMAKERS!!!😀 ON TOP OF THE WORLD MA!!! TO ALL OF THE DEPARTED  FORUM MEMBERS THAT WE ALL MISS   GO IU!!!

We have some really great members on this board. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, loviubb said:

The NIL SUCKS! The NCAA is at the blame!! Don't give the kids ( young adults ) any money for using them! Let MY COLLEGE SPORTS ALL GO! I don't like what has  BECOME OF MY FAVORITES SPORTS! But it is what I will  personally quit watching!!  I liked the IU non pro players! In my mind1 time paid you are a PRO! Just my own little rant from close to a 70 yr. old man! Go  IU out bid with CASH instead of Fan base and such! Sorry for rant! But to me it is the same as OLIMPIC SPORTS! I don't watch!

The NCAA is not at fault for the NIL. Its court ordered after they were sued by the O'Bannon brothers.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

The NCAA is not at fault for the NIL. Its court ordered after they were sued by the O'Bannon brothers.

I’m not giving the NCAA any breaks because they refused to adapt when the writing was on the wall, before and after, the NIL was passed. 

I do wonder: are the NCAA’s hands tied? With each state having different legislation, can they successfully write or enforce ANY NIL rules?  

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

That was definitely the kickoff. California's NIL law after that was going to put everyone else on uneven footing, and that spurred a lot of other states into action.

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

With each state having different legislation, can they successfully write or enforce ANY NIL rules?  

Nope, not without a ton of lawsuits. That's why I think it's imperative for Congress to get moving on a comprehensive law covering NIL, or all states simply adopt California's law as outlined here. Written by a University of Illinois professor.

"For the welfare of college sports, state lawmakers should pass laws—or amend existing laws—to mimic California. Otherwise, D-I schools will lose competitive balance and at the far extremes, face potential antitrust enforcement." 

9 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

AMF's for everyone who needs to catch up.

I had no idea there was a drink like that. 

Back in the day, I use to work on a bowling alley refinishing crew. Most all pin machines were made by AMF (American Manufacturing and Foundry). 

The crew boss would always say "AMF" when we finished a place. Same as the drink...

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I had no idea there was a drink like that. 

Back in the day, I use to work on a bowling alley refinishing crew. Most all pin machines were made by AMF (American Manufacturing and Foundry). 

The crew boss would always say "AMF" when we finished a place. Same as the drink...

I'm pleased to know there are others who use that acronym...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, loviubb said:

The NIL SUCKS! The NCAA is at the blame!! Don't give the kids ( young adults ) any money for using them! Let MY COLLEGE SPORTS ALL GO! I don't like what has  BECOME OF MY FAVORITES SPORTS! But it is what I will  personally quit watching!!  I liked the IU non pro players! In my mind1 time paid you are a PRO! Just my own little rant from close to a 70 yr. old man! Go  IU out bid with CASH instead of Fan base and such! Sorry for rant! But to me it is the same as OLIMPIC SPORTS! I don't watch!

No you are archaic and are OK with taking advantage of people. These athletes provide a lot of money to the schools and NCAA. They should get something in return other than an education. It’s archaic thoughts and let’s not change things because that wasn’t the way in my times that don’t progress us as a society. 

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

AMF's for everyone who needs to catch up.

A friend of mine went back and had an AMF - she said it was so disgustingly sweet that it made her teeth want to fall out. Haha. 

Oh, back in the day - the sweeter the better. I remember thinking Oliver Wine was remarkable. 🤮 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

A friend of mine went back and had an AMF - she said it was so disgustingly sweet that it made her teeth want to fall out. Haha. 

Oh, back in the day - the sweeter the better. I remember thinking Oliver Wine was remarkable. 🤮 

Wait, it's not?!   😲

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

As thought, Northwestern's Pete Nance enters the portal and declares for the NBA

From the article, it sounds like he won't be returning to the Wildcats if he pulls out of the draft.

Illinois. Seems there may have been a bit of tammpering?

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That was definitely the kickoff. California's NIL law after that was going to put everyone else on uneven footing, and that spurred a lot of other states into action.

Nope, not without a ton of lawsuits. That's why I think it's imperative for Congress to get moving on a comprehensive law covering NIL, or all states simply adopt California's law as outlined here. Written by a University of Illinois professor.

"For the welfare of college sports, state lawmakers should pass laws—or amend existing laws—to mimic California. Otherwise, D-I schools will lose competitive balance and at the far extremes, face potential antitrust enforcement." 

I don't know the answers to this NIL stuff.  But I do know we needs rules and someone(organization) to police them.  Sounds like the NCAA needs to get re-tooled to handle the "crisis" or the colleges are gonna have to come up with another idea.  And for the record I don't like the idea of the government handling it, but if they must, then so be it.

47 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know the answers to this NIL stuff.  But I do know we needs rules and someone(organization) to police them.  Sounds like the NCAA needs to get re-tooled to handle the "crisis" or the colleges are gonna have to come up with another idea.  And for the record I don't like the idea of the government handling it, but if they must, then so be it.

Nah...you don't need rules.  You just need Monty Hall.  "I'm going to give you $100 for every 3 you make during non conference, $1000 for every 3 during conference, and $1500 for every 3 in the tournament... both B1G and ncaa.  And I'll give you $100 right now if you've got a hard boiled egg."   😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw the transfer from South Dakota St. eliminated UK because he didn't get the NIL deal he wanted and didn't get the role he wanted in the offense.  These players are now starting to be divas like pro athletes.

Most were anyway. Now they’re just getting comparable pay. 

• Like 3