Jump to content

Transfer Portal 2022


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw the transfer from South Dakota St. eliminated UK because he didn't get the NIL deal he wanted and didn't get the role he wanted in the offense.  These players are now starting to be divas like pro athletes.

 

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Most were anyway. Now they’re just getting comparable pay. 

I think I will follow suit. As of now I am demanding compensation for any posts I make. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2022 at 8:01 AM, BGleas said:

I still think we're going to see a bunch of longer tenured college coaches start to leave the game. I don't mean guys like Boeheim in their 70's, those guys leaving are inevitable, but I mean some coaches in their 50's and early 60's. 

Why would anyone want to deal with not only having to re-recruit your team every year but also have to do it based on how much NIL money you can get them? Being a coach at this level was already hard enough. 

I'm not saying players don't deserve money, just saying why would a coach want to deal with that if you're at a level where you could maybe go to the NBA and coach or move into broadcasting?

Yep those that can will jump to NBA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

Illinois. Seems there may have been a bit of tammpering?

Lots of roster turnover going on over there. With only one guy in the league after 5 years on the job it's not a sustainable model. We saw that with Hoiberg....and as far as I can see Underwood isn't some brilliant tactician. Gets outcoached every March. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

No you are archaic and are OK with taking advantage of people. These athletes provide a lot of money to the schools and NCAA. They should get something in return other than an education. It’s archaic thoughts and let’s not change things because that wasn’t the way in my times that don’t progress us as a society. 

Or crazy thought for some. Others just have a difference of opinion on what they want college sports to look like. There are some people that understand kids have a choice (don’t have to go to college) and would prefer the beauties of amateurism remain as they are. I do find it funny that these kids get four to five years of life for free and “some” of you think that’s nothing. I was a college athlete and worked in athletic academic advising for a few years as well, so I’ve seen what these kids get vs the regular student. It’s a head start in life essentially (damn good deal). With that said, I respect the opposite view and understand it’s here anyway, so might as well make the most of it. But you think a different view means we’re okay with others being taken advantage of? I just told you why they aren’t taken advantage of from my opinion. So don’t be ridiculous. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our friend Teddy Allen, formerly of West Virginia, Wichita State (never played), Western Nebraska CC, and New Mexico State, is in the portal. 

Also, Keyontae Johnson, the kid who collapsed during a game while playing for Florida, is in the portal. He also has  a pending sexual assault charge against him...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Or crazy thought for some. Others just have a difference of opinion on what they want college sports to look like. There are some people that understand kids have a choice (don’t have to go to college) and would prefer the beauties of amateurism remain as they are. I do find it funny that these kids get four to five years of life for free and “some” of you think that’s nothing. I was a college athlete and worked in athletic academic advising for a few years as well, so I’ve seen what these kids get vs the regular student. It’s a head start in life essentially (damn good deal). With that said, I respect the opposite view and understand it’s here anyway, so might as well make the most of it. But you think a different view means we’re okay with others being taken advantage of? I just told you why they aren’t taken advantage of from my opinion. So don’t be ridiculous. 

Amateurism doesn’t exist when a bunch of old institutions make a ton of money off of you. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You are so far off with this post it is ridiculous.

Not really. Who would tolerate this in any environment? It’s old and downright dumb for kids to be taken advantage of.  Only athletes in schools are held to a certain standard while being taken to the bank by their colleges and the NCAA. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing is the schools, ncaa, and tv companies aren't paying the athletes a dime.  So all this NIL money is coming from outside of these institutions.  

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Pretty sure I told an d crusty that last week come to think of it   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw the transfer from South Dakota St. eliminated UK because he didn't get the NIL deal he wanted and didn't get the role he wanted in the offense.  These players are now starting to be divas like pro athletes.

Do you work without the type of offer you think you're deserving of? I don't, I guess that makes me a diva. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I do find it funny that these kids get four to five years of life for free and “some” of you think that’s nothing. 

I find it funny how this point keeps being brought up. It’s not that anyone is devaluing a scholarship. What we are saying is that IF a kid CAN earn more outside of their scholarship via third party endorsement deals then it’s none of the NCAA’s business. 

The NCAA’s power of amateurism stops at a college not being able to pay an athlete. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw the transfer from South Dakota St. eliminated UK because he didn't get the NIL deal he wanted and didn't get the role he wanted in the offense.  These players are now starting to be divas like pro athletes.

.... smart

Edited by btownqb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I find it funny how this point keeps being brought up. It’s not that anyone is devaluing a scholarship. What we are saying is that IF a kid CAN earn more outside of their scholarship via third party endorsement deals then it’s none of the NCAA’s business. 

The NCAA’s power of amateurism stops at a college not being able to pay an athlete. 

There's also TONS of kids going to school for free, in general. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Not really. Who would tolerate this in any environment? It’s old and downright dumb for kids to be taken advantage of.  Only athletes in schools are held to a certain standard while being taken to the bank by their colleges and the NCAA. 

Where we disagree is that I don't see them as getting taking advantage of.  If it is then sign me up because they got $40,000-$50,000 a year us a stipend of for housing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There's also TONS of kids going to school for free, in general. 

My daughter did except for grad school.  Also before each semester she got a sizable check from her scholarship that paid for her rent and everything else for the semester.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where we disagree is that I don't see them as getting taking advantage of.  If it is then sign me up because they got $40,000-$50,000 a year us a stipend of for housing.

🤦‍♂️ this doesn’t matter! Value the scholarship at $100 or $1,000,000. It still won’t matter and you’ll still be missing the point  

These athletes are not asking the schools for any more money. They understand that they can’t get paid by schools  

They want the right to earn more money from third party companies and the NCAA has no right to govern that. Especially when the NCAA and colleges financially benefited from not allowing it to happen. That is flat out scummy behavior under the guise of ‘amateurism’. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I find it funny how this point keeps being brought up. It’s not that anyone is devaluing a scholarship. What we are saying is that IF a kid CAN earn more outside of their scholarship via third party endorsement deals then it’s none of the NCAA’s business. 

The NCAA’s power of amateurism stops at a college not being able to pay an athlete. 

I think the problem is going to be the free agent deals like Packs. Being paid to commit to a school rather than committing first. I dont think the portal and NIL can co-exist.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Indykev said:

I think the problem is going to be the free agent deals like Packs. Being paid to commit to a school rather than committing first. I dont think the portal and NIL can co-exist.

What happened at Miami was shady AF because it seemed to go against the only rule that was put in place, but the NIL still isn’t going away. Neither is the portal  

That said, we are concentrating on Pack, but aren’t talking about the numerous players the NIL has kept in college. This is good for CBB, the lack of talent has made the game suffer. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...