Transfer Portal 2022

NIL to me was players could be featured on advertisements, in commercials, or brand their own clothing, etc. They could make money off of their name, image, or likeness.

I didn't see "contracts" coming, or whatever Miami gave to Pack. College basketball players are no longer "amateurs" and never will be again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coach Robby said:

NIL to me was players could be featured on advertisements, in commercials, or brand their own clothing, etc. They could make money off of their name, image, or likeness.

I didn't see "contracts" coming, or whatever Miami gave to Pack. College basketball players are no longer "amateurs" and never will be again.

I hadn't categorized them as amateur for a long time. Nothing about their time in college seems amateur at all to me. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

When you do commercials, or clothing brands you usually sign a contract with said company.  Pack is currently the exception to the norm at this point. What people didn't foresee and they should have, is players using NIL as a bargaining chip for them to commit to a university.  It will work out though, coaches and universities will find the level and there are only so many spots on rosters.  They will have to take what the market decides at some point.  Might take a couple years  though to find its level

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I hadn't categorized them as amateur for a long time. Nothing about their time in college seems amateur at all to me. 

"Amateurism" is a word only used when it's convenient for the NCAA to use it. 

Press conferences, dealing with fans, going to alumni events, making appearances at clinics, autograph sessions, interviews with sports writers etc. seems like professional responsibilities to me. The only thing amateur about it is that they aren't allowed compensation. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

What keeps Foxsports and B1G network from signing deals with Kofi and Trayce to keep them in college another year?

Higher level players equals higher level quality, should equal higher level viewing and ratings and marketing money on their end as well.  

Surely ESPN, ACC/SEC has already thought of this.  This is an arms race.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What keeps Foxsports and B1G network from signing deals with Kofi and Trayce to keep them in college another year?

Higher level players equals higher level quality, should equal higher level viewing and ratings and marketing money on their end as well.  

Surely ESPN, ACC/SEC has already thought of this.  This is an arms race.

I'm note sure you'd see this because ESPN (for example) doesn't have deals with pro athletes that I'm aware of. A lot of these networks have journalism arms and signing athletes could bias their coverage. 

....just a guess

34 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

"Amateurism" is a word only used when it's convenient for the NCAA to use it. 

Press conferences, dealing with fans, going to alumni events, making appearances at clinics, autograph sessions, interviews with sports writers etc. seems like professional responsibilities to me. The only thing amateur about it is that they aren't allowed compensation. Why by the cow when you can get the milk for free? 

They changed MVP to MOP because they don’t like admitting players have value 😳

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

It's funny to look back and recall that Steve Alford was once suspended, for the UK game no less, for appearing in a sorority calendar that was being sold to raise money for charity.

First book I ever read cover to cover. Can remember this excerpt well...so in a little over 35 years we've gone from getting suspended to helping people....to now with NIL deals in the millions. 

The key scene of the day was when Knight was notified that Steve Alford had been suspended for one game (the Kentucky game) for having appeared in a sorority calendar that was sold for charity. While he had done it with the best of intentions, NCAA rules forbid taking a photo that you know will be sold. Knight was really angry at Alford and unloads on him in front of the rest of the team. It's a key moment in the book, and I think it played well today. You aren't quite sure if Knight, who was desperate to get Alford to take a leadership position with the team, was doing this as motivation or if he was really, really angry. That's part of the Bobby Knight mystery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm note sure you'd see this because ESPN (for example) doesn't have deals with pro athletes that I'm aware of. A lot of these networks have journalism arms and signing athletes could bias their coverage. 

....just a guess

Yeah, because ESPN clearly has no bias....:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One comment I heard this morning that got me thinking. If I'm Phil Knight for example. Why would I spend $68M on more football facilities? Just use that $ to buy players? I mean I know facilities are crucial but cash is always king right? 

Bringing this back to IU. We need facilities to recruit with our peer programs...or would it just be best to say ok we're going to start using donor $ for NIL deals instead of better living facilities? Or is there just so much $ it doesn't matter?

6 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So, what happens when a player signs a deal with, say Nike, but that player's school has a deal with say, Adidas, and all of the Jerseys have Adidas logos?  Does Nike allow the player to wear Adidas product?  Does the player have to transfer to a Nike school?  

This a great question.   No way a school and shoe company allow this; nor should they.  I suspect it will be attempted at some point.

19 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So, what happens when a player signs a deal with, say Nike, but that player's school has a deal with say, Adidas, and all of the Jerseys have Adidas logos?  Does Nike allow the player to wear Adidas product?  Does the player have to transfer to a Nike school?  

11 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This a great question.   No way a school and shoe company allow this; nor should they.  I suspect it will be attempted at some point.

NBA uniforms are all Jordan Brand, but players wear whatever shoe they signed an endorsement for. Wouldn't that be the same for college kids?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I think it will determine what is and isn't a part of the official uniform. The Warriors are sponsored by Nike and wear their jerseys and warmups, but Steph Curry can still wear his UA shoes. This issue is dealt with in other sports, I don't know why it'd be a problem in college. 

More on this...

"California and Florida’s NIL legislation does not allow a player to sign an endorsement conflicting with his/her team contract. On the flip side, Sen. Corey Booker’s College Athletes Bill of Rights states athletes can wear conflicting apparel and footwear outside of team activities; during team activities, they only have to wear team apparel (not team footwear)."  

So Booker's federal legislation is in conflict with what 2 states have already implemented...

It'll be interesting. Adidas was smart trying to coral the kids of all of the schools who wear their unis before it turns into a freeforall...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Man, all these companies throwing money at these kids really reiterates the point that they're not worth more than a scholarship. 🤔

I understand that you think people are worth whatever they can get, and on some level I agree with you, but it also assumes that cash is king and nothing else matters. Is Nigel Pack who puts a ball through a hoop (sometimes) really "worth" more than my neighbor the firefighter?  Modern society has a perverted sense of value, and it's why I don't buy athletic jerseys any more.  It's why I don't hardly follow professional sports any more, and it appears that I may not follow college sports much longer.  From my perspective this NIL thing is really placing the "I" before team, and that really does go against what most of us were taught growing up.  I understand why some people are struggling to accept it.  

If you had an adult daughter, and someone was willing to pay her a million dollars for sex, clearly she is worth it since someone is willing to pay, but would you advise her to take it?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One comment I heard this morning that got me thinking. If I'm Phil Knight for example. Why would I spend $68M on more football facilities? Just use that $ to buy players? I mean I know facilities are crucial but cash is always king right? 

Bringing this back to IU. We need facilities to recruit with our peer programs...or would it just be best to say ok we're going to start using donor $ for NIL deals instead of better living facilities? Or is there just so much $ it doesn't matter?

I put this on the recruiting thread but also plays here as well: I think due to the NIL this is going to be more of a norm. You can’t single in on people and hope they commit because dummies like Miami can come in and offer a player $800k when he’s not worth it and messes up team chemistry. I think it would be cool if they created a Tier system. If you’re a Tier 1 your pay is let’s say $250k-$1m tier 2 $200k-$250k tier 3 $100k-$200k and tier 4 $15k-$100k. You have to be re evaluated every year to see which tier you qualify for that year. It limits people over paying and also keeps it more of an even playing field

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

More on this...

"California and Florida’s NIL legislation does not allow a player to sign an endorsement conflicting with his/her team contract. On the flip side, Sen. Corey Booker’s College Athletes Bill of Rights states athletes can wear conflicting apparel and footwear outside of team activities; during team activities, they only have to wear team apparel (not team footwear)."  

So Booker's federal legislation is in conflict with what 2 states have already implemented...

It'll be interesting. Adidas was smart trying to coral the kids of all of the schools who wear their unis before it turns into a freeforall...

So you are saying we are gonna have another "Civil War?"  All because of NIL "laws?"  

• Like 1