Transfer Portal 2022

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I put this on the recruiting thread but also plays here as well: I think due to the NIL this is going to be more of a norm. You can’t single in on people and hope they commit because dummies like Miami can come in and offer a player $800k when he’s not worth it and messes up team chemistry. I think it would be cool if they created a Tier system. If you’re a Tier 1 your pay is let’s say $250k-$1m tier 2 $200k-$250k tier 3 $100k-$200k and tier 4 $15k-$100k. You have to be re evaluated every year to see which tier you qualify for that year. It limits people over paying and also keeps it more of an even playing field

How would that work? It's not the schools that are doing the paying, it's individual companies. So who would evaluate the players?

4 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

If you had an adult daughter, and someone was willing to pay her a million dollars for sex, clearly she is worth it since someone is willing to pay, but would you advise her to take it?

A) I'd say "Well, that's your decision honey, but if you don't, I will."

B) At a dinner party, Winston Churchill says to his dinner companion, "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" The woman responds, "My goodness, Mr. Churchill. I suppose I would." Churchill replies, "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?" She answers, "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?" Churchill answers, "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price."

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, rico said:

Meh, California and Florida are gonna leave the Union.  lol

We have a trade to announce.......the United States of America have agreed to trade Florida, California, the Northern Marianas Islands and a territory to be named later to Canada in exchange for three future first round picks, Quebec, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island, a tanker truck of maple syrup and about 6 dozen moose. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I understand that you think people are worth whatever they can get, and on some level I agree with you, but it also assumes that cash is king and nothing else matters. Is Nigel Pack who puts a ball through a hoop (sometimes) really "worth" more than my neighbor the firefighter?  Modern society has a perverted sense of value, and it's why I don't buy athletic jerseys any more.  It's why I don't hardly follow professional sports any more, and it appears that I may not follow college sports much longer.  From my perspective this NIL thing is really placing the "I" before team, and that really does go against what most of us were taught growing up.  I understand why some people are struggling to accept it.  

If you had an adult daughter, and someone was willing to pay her a million dollars for sex, clearly she is worth it since someone is willing to pay, but would you advise her to take it?

I'm not sure that's an adequate analogy, but...

It's as simple as this to me...

My name, image, and likeness belongs to me. No one else. If I can profit from that, why does that bother anyone else?

Will there be some bumps in the road? Sure, we've already seen some with the Pack/Miami deal. But as it goes on, the companies will be smarter with their money, and the kids will be smarter about enhancing their brand.

In my mind, it's the transfer rules that need to be clarified and tightened if you want to avoid virtual free agency in college sports.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

We have a trade to announce.......the United States of America have agreed to trade Florida, California, the Northern Marianas Islands and a territory to be named later to Canada in exchange for three future first round picks, Quebec, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island, a tanker truck of maple syrup and about 6 dozen moose. 

GZJM.gif.75f28b1c112b1b958dc3bee10160b299.gif

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

That's a strange hypothetical. I definitely wouldn't say: you are only worth $500k and that's good enough - If he's willing to pay more then you can't take it because it will throw off the values of the girls working the corner. Ultimately though, that's her choice. I'd just advise her to make this transaction in Nevada. 

17 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Is Nigel Pack who puts a ball through a hoop (sometimes) really "worth" more than my neighbor the firefighter?

If you are referring to the literal definition of worth as tied to a monetary value, then yes. If you're speaking figuratively then that is subjective. I don't know Nijel Pack and I don't know your neighbor. If you're upset about this I suppose you can stop watching CBB, which contributes to Nijel Pack's worth. 

22 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

From my perspective this NIL thing is really placing the "I" before team, and that really does go against what most of us were taught growing up.

You have no idea if this is happening, as you admitted: that's just your perception. That said, typically players with selfish reputations don't get rewarded. And i'm not sure accepting money decreases your motivation to win - these are still college players who want to make it to the next level. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 8:39 PM, Seeking6 said:

Lots of roster turnover going on over there. With only one guy in the league after 5 years on the job it's not a sustainable model. We saw that with Hoiberg....and as far as I can see Underwood isn't some brilliant tactician. Gets outcoached every March. 

You're comparing a coach who's won the most B1G games over the last 3 seasons with the guy who's lost the most? 🤣

Yeah, definitely not sustainable for Freddie but somehow they gave him another shot.

Anyone who thinks they know what "model" is going to work in the era of the portal + NIL is kidding themselves.

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well you're like 55, 5'8", 212, with a broken old jumper due to arthritis.  Along with the rest of us.  

When you start raking in 2.4 billion dollar tv contracts hit me up bro.

But . . . but . . . income inequality!  Inequity!  Diversity!

We demand a league of 55+ out of shape guys playing slow half-court, but we will be paid the same as the NBA, even though we'll have no ratings, fans in the stands, or marketable brand. 

Thank you, WNBA, for the business model.  We look forward to your support on Twitter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

It could be based off of certain qualifiers. Maybe do it off of a WAR type setting.

I'd be prone to think then it would be "I" above "team" if that's how a player is rated. 

As I've said before, though, this is more about social media and branding. Obscure athletes (at least to us) are making good coin off of NIL because they've built their brand through social media and have a large following. 

The key points to me are that the kid still has to be attending classes at the university to be on the team, helping the kids on the team secure deals with companies (which IU seems to be out in front of, much to the chagrin of the ever pious Boilermakers here), and continuing to find ways to balance, life, work, school, and sports...

7 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

We demand a league of 55+ out of shape guys playing slow half-court, but we will be paid the same as the NBA, even though we'll have no ratings, fans in the stands, or marketable brand. 

That's ageism.  I may only be 40, but I'm out of shape and can play bad, slow half-court with the worst of them!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure that's an adequate analogy, but...

It's as simple as this to me...

My name, image, and likeness belongs to me. No one else. If I can profit from that, why does that bother anyone else?

Will there be some bumps in the road? Sure, we've already seen some with the Pack/Miami deal. But as it goes on, the companies will be smarter with their money, and the kids will be smarter about enhancing their brand.

In my mind, it's the transfer rules that need to be clarified and tightened if you want to avoid virtual free agency in college sports.

Looks like USC is tampering with a WR at Putt. DD said they are offering him 3 mil and a house. If this is true then this isn't what the NIL I'd supposed to be about.

I have no problem with the NIL but like I said it is going to be buying players and not name, image and likeness

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I've said before, though, this is more about social media and branding.

A point that can't be understated.  Let's face it.....90% of this board is "old".  I don't have a damn clue who some of these "celebrities/influencers" are.  I also don't know the fluctuation and arbitrage risk of the Romanian leu vs the US Dollar.  Doesn't mean there isn't money to be made on both though. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Looks like USC is tampering with a WR at Putt. DD said they are offering him 3 mil and a house. If this is true then this isn't what the NIL I'd supposed to be about.

I have no problem with the NIL but like I said it is going to be buying players and not name, image and likeness

Isn't that what Penny asked for in Blue Chips? I think Dak may be going senile.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I'm with ya. I posted on BTB same post I put on here, and people responded to me like I'm a dumb@$$

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I'm sure there are plenty of places that will go rogue and cheat through NIL... 

USC has been caught before and didn't care then...so they have and will continue to deal from the bottom of the deck. 

But I think the more chaste universities can now at least offer something. The million dollar offers aren't going to go to everyone. And we already see that kids who are highly rated coming out of high school can be busts in college. 

And my point about tightening transfer rules would help on the tampering issue.

Edited by IUFLA

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did DD ever issue a correction last week when he claimed the fresno st women's coach quit over nil when that was not true at all?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm sure there are plenty of places that will go rogue and cheat through NIL... 

USC has been caught before and didn't care then...so they have and will continue to deal from the bottom of the deck. 

But I think the more chaste universities can now at least offer something. The million dollar offers aren't going to go to everyone. And we already see that kids who are highly rated coming out of high school can be busts in college. 

And my point about tightening transfer rules would help on the tampering issue.

I know that no one is going to change their minds om this subject and know I won't.  I just hope IU don't stoop to just paying players like Miami is doing.

• Confused 1