Transfer Portal 2022

25 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Is the inference that if Race and TJD come back JG leaves because he doesn't want to be on the bench behind Race?

- Has JG hinted at this? Is it "Starter or Bust"?

- Is there certainty that Race will start in front of him, should they both return? JG could develop in such a way that he's the lead 4? Or maybe he becomes the starting 3. He has a nice stroke and his trajectory as a good shooter is trending upward.

His “people” have hinted at this.  They think he’s a starter and I actually agree with them.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Is the inference that if Race and TJD come back JG leaves because he doesn't want to be on the bench behind Race?

- Has JG hinted at this? Is it "Starter or Bust"?

- Is there certainty that Race will start in front of him, should they both return? JG could develop in such a way that he's the lead 4? Or maybe he becomes the starting 3. He has a nice stroke and his trajectory as a good shooter is trending upward.

He was very noncommittal in hie Hoosier Hysterics interview.  If Race and Trayce come back it's hard to believe he'd get a starting spot. And apparently, per the HH guys, other programs are in his ear promising him a starting spot or possibly a spot at the 3. 

If that's the case, it's hard to blame him. Even if he loves being here (which seems to be the case). He's going into his junior year and he has NBA upside. The guy needs meaningful minutes. 

Edited by tdhoosier

JG needs to EARN more playing time. Work his butt off this summer to improve in areas he’s deficient. Become a better shooter, better ball handler, more consistent.

Not directed at him necessarily, but in general it grinds me when players leave for what they perceive as greener pastures, because they don’t want to put the work in to overcome obstacles where they are.

Get it that other programs will tell a player whatever they think he wants to hear, as they are trying to sell him. On the other hand, I think these “advisors “ often do a disservice . 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

JG needs to EARN more playing time. Work his butt off this summer to improve in areas he’s deficient. Become a better shooter, better ball handler, more consistent.

Not directed at him necessarily, but in general it grinds me when players leave for what they perceive as greener pastures, because they don’t want to put the work in to overcome obstacles where they are.

Get it that other programs will tell a player whatever they think he wants to hear, as they are trying to sell him. On the other hand, I think these “advisors “ often do a disservice . 

I get what you're saying, but sometimes the writing is on the wall. In this case I think it's rather obvious how he will get his minutes and if he'll get those minutes elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

It might just be me but I feel more comfortable with JG that I do Race. 

I’ve said it multiple times, Race would lose his man ball watching more than any player on our team last year.  Love Race and what he brought but I’m ready to move on from him honestly.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No matter what he does as far as working to get better IF Trayce and Race both returned his minutes are going to be limited and a starting spot probably not happening.

Not a popular opinion, I know, but I think Geronimo is the most overrated player on the roster. I agree that he has potential, but he's still really raw for a soon-to-be upperclassman. 

I'd take 1 more year of Race or TJD in a heartbeat over JG, and it's not close. I just don't see JG as the ideal 4 for Woody's system long-term, and he isn't a better player than Race or TJD in the short-term.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

Not a popular opinion, I know, but I think Geronimo is the most overrated player on the roster. I agree that he has potential, but he's still really raw for a soon-to-be upperclassman. 

I'd take 1 more year of Race or TJD in a heartbeat over JG, and it's not close. I just don't see JG as the ideal 4 for Woody's system long-term, and he isn't a better player than Race or TJD in the short-term.

Agree with all of this.. 

The bold statement.. I don't necessarily know that "ideal" is 100% always an option. Jmo

Just now, btownqb said:

Agree with all of this.. 

The bold statement.. I don't necessarily know that "ideal" is 100% always an option. Jmo

That's fair. I just mean that Geronimo's only advantage at present over TJD or Race is three more years of eligibility vs. one. But unless his outside shooting takes a massive leap forward, then he either won't be starting or else we're a bottom half B1G team two to three years out. This roster needs a much more reliable shooter (ideally in the form of a taller player) than Geronimo if the offense is going to function as intended.

Just now, IUProfessor said:

That's fair. I just mean that Geronimo's only advantage at present over TJD or Race is three more years of eligibility vs. one. But unless his outside shooting takes a massive leap forward, then he either won't be starting or else we're a bottom half B1G team two to three years out. This roster needs a much more reliable shooter (ideally in the form of a taller player) than Geronimo if the offense is going to function as intended.

Agree with you. I think the counter argument is that we've seen the TJD and Race show for 4 years and know where the ceiling is. JG provides an unknown, but also a possibility. Again, he is going to have to work hard to develop the potential though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree with all of this.. 

I would take JG the last 10 games over Race's last 10 games.  I feel like JG was getting better and having more impact per game minute than Race was toward the end of the season.  Felt like everyone was posting for JG to get more and more time while Race seemed to get more and more worn out.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would take JG the last 10 games over Race's last 10 games.  I feel like JG was getting better and having more impact per game minute than Race was toward the end of the season.  Felt like everyone was posting for JG to get more and more time while Race seemed to get more and more worn out.

Amen to that.  Race was awful especially the last 4-5 games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

100% agree that would be ideal. JG does play bigger then he is, though. 

Imo his shooting is not what is keeping him from playing more mins, though. 

His ball handling, awareness offensively, and his inability to keep the ball in front of him are major issues. 

Imo the shot is there, just simply needs more reps this off season. (Shot is there, as in I think he can shoot 34-35% w/more volume). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

100% agree that would be ideal. JG does play bigger then he is, though. 

Imo his shooting is not what is keeping him from playing more mins, though. 

His ball handling, awareness offensively, and his inability to keep the ball in front of him are major issues. 

Imo the shot is there, just simply needs more reps this off season. (Shot is there, as in I think he can shoot 34-35% w/more volume). 

Agreed.  Race's shot wasn't there for the first 3 years either.  His defense was passible on the block but horrendous outside of 10 feet.  JG has about the same issue and i hope he can get better.  I believe JG is a better overall shooter, rebounder and shot blocker compared to Race.  Race is better body on body defender and 3 point shooter at this point.

I think i would rather keep JG for 3 years and take less impact next year than keeping Race for one more and losing JG for 3. 

But i don't know much about basketball.  I live in Iowa you know

• Like 2

Agreed.  Race's shot wasn't there for the first 3 years either.  His defense was passible on the block but horrendous outside of 10 feet.  JG has about the same issue and i hope he can get better.  I believe JG is a better overall shooter, rebounder and shot blocker compared to Race.  Race is better body on body defender and 3 point shooter at this point.

I think i would rather keep JG for 3 years and take less impact next year than keeping Race for one more and losing JG for 3. 

Geronimo is already better 3 point shooter than Race

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I also wish Kopp would hit the road and his minutes would go to Leal and Bates but apparently that’s not going to happen. I’ll never understand that. He might get booed off the floor in some games next year. I’ve had about all I can take. 
And just to be clear I don’t plan on doing that. But literally every single IU fan I have talked to doesn’t understand why he played. 
And again probably a good kid but not a guy IU can and play and get where we want to go. 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I'm strictly talking about JG. Thompson p***** me off more then anyone on our team, but I still love him. I don't know my preference. 

Just for reference though-- 

RT- 50 assists 48 TOs-- 997 mins played 

JG- 9 assists 31 TOs-- 430 mins played

I just view that as the ultimate stat that led to him seeing not as much playing time as he wanted. 

No question his energy was better in the post season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm strictly talking about JG. Thompson p***** me off more then anyone on our team, but I still love him. I don't know my preference. 

Just for reference though-- 

RT- 50 assists 48 TOs-- 997 mins played 

JG- 9 assists 31 TOs-- 430 mins played

I just view that as the ultimate stat that led to him seeing not as much playing time as he wanted. 

No question his energy was better in the post season. 

Oh i agree that the TO's for JG has to get better.  He turned it over way to many times

• Like 1