Transfer Portal 2022

On 4/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, Hoosier51 said:

With the way the college game is trending he will maybe have to rethink that. All the top recruits are going to start asking that.

It was one of the reasons that got Dane fired. I hope every recruit in the country hears that from Underwood.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Thats about it...0 scholarship players left. Talk about burning a place down. I hope Will Wade saved his money. He will never coach again.

I hope so.  He showed a willingness to get ahead at any cost and leapfrogged a lot of coaches by cheating instead of being patient and rising through the ranks a little more honorably.  I doubt he has many friends in the coaching fraternity.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mkaser said:

Tanner Holden from Wright St. transferring to Ohio St. Averaged 20 a game this year with 7 boards.

They do a phenomenal job with transfers, very ahead of the curve.  If I had to guess, they probably have somebody on their staff who is responsible for being prepared on the portal.  They seem to get critical transfers every year.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They do a phenomenal job with transfers, very ahead of the curve.  If I had to guess, they probably have somebody on their staff who is responsible for being prepared on the portal.  They seem to get critical transfers every year.  

Alabama football has a consultant position where the sole job description is to identify players who might enter the portal and who would be good fits. I’ve long said Indiana basketball should have a guy like this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With all the talk about tampering, I honestly don’t know the answer to this.  Has anyone gotten into trouble for it, or is a free for all?  If it’s the latter, you have to be stupid to not be aggressive in there.  If Purdue talked to Pack two weeks ago, good for them if it’s tacitly accepted practice.  

I’ve said it for years but the NCAA is flat out one of the most incompetent large organizations in the country.  You get ivory tower types who have no freaking idea how to run an organization with real life implications.   They’d be better off with someone with real life experience producing something instead of academic nincompoops.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Alabama football has a consultant position where the sole job description is to identify players who might enter the portal and who would be good fits. I’ve long said Indiana basketball should have a guy like this. 

I assumed Matta was doing that ?

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think they are going to be like Purdue and take a big step backward next season.

Why do you think we’ll take a big step back? Our frontcourt will be solid and if we get Pack, that’ll be a big boost for our backcourt. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With all the talk about tampering, I honestly don’t know the answer to this.  Has anyone gotten into trouble for it, or is a free for all?  If it’s the latter, you have to be stupid to not be aggressive in there.  If Purdue talked to Pack two weeks ago, good for them if it’s tacitly accepted practice.  

I’ve said it for years but the NCAA is flat out one of the most incompetent large organizations in the country.  You get ivory tower types who have no freaking idea how to run an organization with real life implications.   They’d be better off with someone with real life experience producing something instead of academic nincompoops.

I am not a big fan of Ratface but he hits on some good points here. 

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski on an NCAA revamp - 'Time to look at the whole thing' (espn.com)

• Like 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Why do you think we’ll take a big step back? 

Well the first place you are losing Ivey then Williams and not really replacing them with anyone comparable. Also losing some experienced players and replacing them with unproven ones. Edey is a decent player and Morton has potential but the rest is unknown. While Sasha may be bad on defense his 3 point shooting is going to hard to replace. It is pretty simple to see that they will take a step back, probably around 6th or 7th in the B1G in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

IU does have staff watching the portal. More than that, staff is fielding and initiating back channels so they can stay abreast of the talent coming through. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I swear to god Purdue has Matt Haarms clone factory on the outskirts of West Lafayette. 

To be honest they can have all the big clones like Edey they want, I don't think it is a winning formula for March.

Edited by Hoosier51

17 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Well the first place you are losing Ivey then Williams and not really replacing them with anyone comparable. Also losing some experienced players and replacing them with unproven ones. Edey is a decent player and Morton has potential but the rest is unknown. While Sasha may be bad on defense his 3 point shooting is going to hard to replace. It is pretty simple to see that they will take a step back, probably around 6th or 7th in the B1G in my opinion.

I think Edey will get some preseason B1G POY votes tbh. Pack would be huge for us. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Edey will get some preseason B1G POY votes tbh. Pack would be huge for us. 

Yeah I imagine him and Xavier would be two of the leading preseason vote getters. IF Purdue gets Pack he will help but not to the point they will be in discussion for a B1G title.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Losing Ivey is a positive 

losing TW50 sucks 

losing Sasha hurts more than Ivey….MP always says the offense runs better with him out there 

we have to have the guy running off a billion screens.  Dakota, Carsen, Cline, Sasha…

I think Pack could easily be that guy  

gillis & Morton are possible 

Newman needs to feed the post and cut down on turnovers 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Losing Ivey is a positive 

losing TW50 sucks 

losing Sasha hurts more than Ivey….MP always says the offense runs better with him out there 

we have to have the guy running off a billion screens.  Dakota, Carsen, Cline, Sasha…

I think Pack could easily be that guy  

gillis & Morton are possible 

Newman needs to feed the post and cut down on turnovers 

I think Purdue will be a decent team next season, but not even close to a consistent Top 10 team like they were this season.

• Like 1

I think Purdue will be solid next year until proven otherwise.  Their system will allow for that.  But by the same token they also have a ceiling until proven otherwise. They were gifted the parting of the red seas in their bracket this year and still couldn’t figure it out as easily predicted.  You don’t get gifted opportunities like that often.  A veteran team that was healthy—and with a lottery pick no less—with an easy bracket. They should have been playing today but squandered it.  

Ultimately, Purdue has had a great opportunity the past several years with IU trying to find itself, yet Purdue hasn’t capitalized.  Contrary to what they believe, this isn’t going to go on forever. Woodson’s coaching this year was already a warning shot for them.  The Purdue people may look back on these years and be infuriated that they couldn’t seal the deal while IU was down.  If I were a Purdue fan, that’s exactly how I would be looking at it. 

A big flaw for them is they will prioritize size and power but today’s game puts a premium on team quickness.   It will serve them well on a cold Tuesday night in Iowa City in January and get them obliterated on a spring day against an upstart in the tourney.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PNWHoosier said:

IU does have staff watching the portal. More than that, staff is fielding and initiating back channels so they can stay abreast of the talent coming through. 

That’s minimal stuff.  Ohio State produces.  It doesn’t matter if IU has some 21 year old writing up index cards with some names on it.  Deliver top talent or fix what you’re doing.  Nobody cares how the sausage is made.  Get players that matter.  9th place isn’t good enough.  Get some urgency and produce.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1