Transfer Portal 2022

The portal is a complete mess. Hopefully IU is already on it and ahead of the game because depending on who leaves, it's going to be important to land the right guys. 

There seems to be several guards lined up on this team but few shooters. Something has to give and that means some will have to go. The only way they add another guard is if it's a proven scorer/shooter, and I don't mean another one dimensional guard that can sometimes shoot but can't get their own shot and struggles to defend.

The more important need is legitimate size. It could be ugly if TJD and Race leave. Even if one of them stays they need more than Durr and LD off the bench. Adding Banks helps but at 6'8 215 he is more of a perimeter option than an inside option.

CMW mentioned needing to improve on the wings. That and adding a post option is likely where it is headed. But rather than settling for projects that can't help it may be best for IU to add as many defensive stoppers as they can find. If you can't shoot you better be able to defend at the highest level. IU improved on D but they have a long way to go to compete with the elite teams and the top tier of the B1G.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Is there a thread discussing who has committed to stay and who is leaving?

It's discussed in various places.  Players I am confident are leaving: TJD & Parker Stewart.  Players I'd bet my life are staying: Jordan Geronimo, Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal.  Everyone else I'd sign a broad range of percentages to.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I've thought long and hard about Trayce, and I'm not convinced 100% he's leaving...

He likes his coach, likes his teammates, grew up in a comfortable household that didn't have to scramble for a buck, and apparently does ok in the NIL stuff (he signed a deal with Pennzoil...Brad Underwood seemed like a more logical choice with that hair, but...)

I do think there's something to be said for playing in the big time environments of college basketball versus the Siberia that is the G league...Trayce has always seemed like he wants to leave a mark at IU, and while he's already made a sizeable contribution, a deep tournament run would put him in the 21st Century IU Basketball Parthenon...

I'd love nothing more than that and you make a good case for it, but when Woody was asked before the Wyoming game about whether Trayce stays or moves on, his response was "he's ready".  That's a pretty big tell if you ask me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I've thought long and hard about Trayce, and I'm not convinced 100% he's leaving...

He likes his coach, likes his teammates, grew up in a comfortable household that didn't have to scramble for a buck, and apparently does ok in the NIL stuff (he signed a deal with Pennzoil...Brad Underwood seemed like a more logical choice with that hair, but...)

I do think there's something to be said for playing in the big time environments of college basketball versus the Siberia that is the G league...Trayce has always seemed like he wants to leave a mark at IU, and while he's already made a sizeable contribution, a deep tournament run would put him in the 21st Century IU Basketball Parthenon...

I’m in the same boat as you too! However, I also feel the same way about Race as well…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd love nothing more than that and you make a good case for it, but when Woody was asked before the Wyoming game about whether Trayce stays or moves on, his response was "he's ready".  That's a pretty big tell if you ask me.

Yeah, I heard that...

I love Coach Woodson, but if he has one flaw, it's that he'll tell tales out of school 😉

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

What was Woodson supposed to say?  He certainly couldn't say 'No, he's not'.  He could have tried to dance around the question, but people will interpret that as 'No, he's not'.  It was an unfair question at an unfair time.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What was Woodson supposed to say?  He certainly couldn't say 'No, he's not'.  He could have tried to dance around the question, but people will interpret that as 'No, he's not'.  It was an unfair question at an unfair time.  

Would you want your coach to publicly come out and tell the world that you’re not ready? 

We’ve had that “throw’em under the bus” coach behavior previously. Don’t know how that does anything positive for the players. Don’t know how that could sit well with recruits

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Would you want your coach to publicly come out and tell the world that you’re not ready? 

We’ve had that “throw’em under the bus” coach behavior previously. Don’t know how that does anything positive for the players. Don’t know how that could sit well with recruits

Exactly.  People are reading way too much into that answer.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not upset that he said what he did and I can't tell you exactly how the question was phrased since the conversation was simply recapped during the game, but if he didn't want to answer, he could have simply said "you'll have to ask Trayce." or something similar.  The impression I got was that it wasn't really any big secret.  If Trayce wanted to go all cloak and dagger here, he surely would have told Woody to not answer any such questions. 🤷🏼‍♂️

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly.  People are reading way too much into that answer.  

We'll soon know.  I'll stand by my analysis though...🤣

If Trayce comes back, great.  I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment though if you harbor any real expectations that he will though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not upset that he said what he did and I can't tell you exactly how the question was phrased since the conversation was simply recapped during the game, but if he didn't want to answer, he could have simply said "you'll have to ask Trayce." or something similar.  The impression I got was that it wasn't really any big secret.  If Trayce wanted to go all cloak and dagger here, he surely would have told Woody to not answer any such questions. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I saw the interview live.  With the way the question was asked, Woodson would have had to have been awfully quick to come up with an answer other than 'Yes' and not had it come out suspicious sounding. 

Basically, the reporter was recapping Woodson successfully talking Trayce into staying after last year.  Then, as teh interview was ending, sprung the 'Is he ready for the NBA now?' question.

Almost impossible to answer that any way other than 'Yes'.   

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We'll soon know.  I'll stand by my analysis though...🤣

If Trayce comes back, great.  I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment though if you harbor any real expectations that he will though.

Few more posts like this, and you may be required to change your avatar......:coffee:

• Haha 2

Now, it actually sets Trayce up in a better place.  If Woodson and Trayce have had private discussions about his lack of a perimeter game still needing to improve, Woodson has given Trayce an 'excuse'  

Something along the lines of "Yep, he was ready, but he came back to take care of some unfinished business."

Edited by 5fouls

6 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

Is there a thread discussing who has committed to stay and who is leaving?

I’d guess leal, Geronimo, Galloway, bates are for sure back. If X is smart he would stay because I think he could grow his game the most and turn into a draft pick possibly. I don’t think any of the other “seniors” will Be back.  I don’t think they have anything to gain professionally by staying another year.  If Woodson does the same thing with Trayce this year it won’t help him either by staying. If they wanna hang out and be on campus, that’s fine but I don’t see a “reason” besides that for any of them.