Jump to content

Transfer Portal 2022


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s minimal stuff.  Ohio State produces.  It doesn’t matter if IU has some 21 year old writing up index cards with some names on it.  Deliver top talent or fix what you’re doing.  Nobody cares how the sausage is made.  Get players that matter.  9th place isn’t good enough.  Get some urgency and produce.  

I don't understand what you're arguing about. I simply let the other poster know that IU is being proactive with the portal. Every major college program is calling and fielding calls from coaches and other intermediaries. They all are working with a sense of urgency. I never said they'll get the players they want. It's a lot about connections, selling your program, the fit of available players, etc. IU might not get anyone else that really impacts the roster, but don't be niave about the situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Purdue will be solid next year until proven otherwise.  Their system will allow for that.  But by the same token they also have a ceiling until proven otherwise. They were gifted the parting of the red seas in their bracket this year and still couldn’t figure it out as easily predicted.  You don’t get gifted opportunities like that often.  A veteran team that was healthy—and with a lottery pick no less—with an easy bracket. They should have been playing today but squandered it.  

Ultimately, Purdue has had a great opportunity the past several years with IU trying to find itself, yet Purdue hasn’t capitalized.  Contrary to what they believe, this isn’t going to go on forever. Woodson’s coaching this year was already a warning shot for them.  The Purdue people may look back on these years and be infuriated that they couldn’t seal the deal while IU was down.  If I were a Purdue fan, that’s exactly how I would be looking at it. 

A big flaw for them is they will prioritize size and power but today’s game puts a premium on team quickness.   It will serve them well on a cold Tuesday night in Iowa City in January and get them obliterated on a spring day against an upstart in the tourney.  

 

I don’t think there was anything Purdue could’ve done that would’ve “sealed the deal.” Look at how successful MSU has been under Izzo and that didn’t bury UM. Not by a long shot. You guys will always have the bigger support and that wouldn’t change regardless of what Purdue did or didn’t do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PNWHoosier said:

I don't understand what you're arguing about. I simply let the other poster know that IU is being proactive with the portal. Every major college program is calling and fielding calls from coaches and other intermediaries. They all are working with a sense of urgency. I never said they'll get the players they want. It's a lot about connections, selling your program, the fit of available players, etc. IU might not get anyone else that really impacts the roster, but don't be niave about the situation. 

Sorry. I’m not arguing with that so I apologize if that’s that’s the impression I left.  Maybe they will land a great transfer.  

I personally expect either Race or Trayce to leave.  That would leave us two spots.  Woodson himself said he wants a wing defender and a shooter.  If Race or Trayce leave you’d probably want a big who can run the floor.  Maybe we add Renault and another impact high schooler and the transfer market is moot.  

Let’s see what they do.  Other B1G schools from Michigan to Ohio State to Illinois make significant fortifications in the portal.  Purdue is working it now.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sorry. I’m not arguing with that so I apologize if that’s that’s the impression I left.  Maybe they will land a great transfer.  

I personally expect either Race or Trayce to leave.  That would leave us two spots.  Woodson himself said he wants a wing defender and a shooter.  If Race or Trayce leave you’d probably want a big who can run the floor.  Maybe we add Renault and another impact high schooler and the transfer market is moot.  

Let’s see what they do.  Other B1G schools from Michigan to Ohio State to Illinois make significant fortifications in the portal.  Purdue is working it now.  

I agree with the wait and see approach. Hard to judge what is going on until we have finals answers IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t think there was anything Purdue could’ve done that would’ve “sealed the deal.” Look at how successful MSU has been under Izzo and that didn’t bury UM. Not by a long shot. You guys will always have the bigger support and that wouldn’t change regardless of what Purdue did or didn’t do. 

I made a few points but IU has been very down in recent years.  That was a great opportunity for Purdue to take advantage of the situation and they simply haven’t.  I don’t think any of that is arguable.  Not making the final four this year was brutal for Purdue.  They aren’t going to have a veteran team with a top five pick and like the whole bracket open up for them.  This was a final four set up.  You gotta take advantage of all of these things falling into place and they didn’t.  I don’t think any of what I said is controversial.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I made a few points but IU has been very down in recent years.  That was a great opportunity for Purdue to take advantage of the situation and they simply haven’t.  I don’t think any of that is arguable.  Not making the final four this year was brutal for Purdue.  They aren’t going to have a veteran team with a top five pick and like the whole bracket open up for them.  This was a final four set up.  You gotta take advantage of all of these things falling into place and they didn’t.  I don’t think any of what I said is controversial.  

Agree to disagree. Obviously this year was disappointing but don’t think it impacts IU versus Purdue. We rarely go head-to-head in recruiting against you guys.  Always respect your opinion though. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Norchad Omier from Arkansas State is in the portal and may be a good pickup!

Pretty much didn’t produce against the two power 5 schools he faced so that kind of makes me lose some interest. 5 points 7 rebounds vs texas tech. 4 points 5 rebounds vs Illinois.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Pretty much didn’t produce against the two power 5 schools he faced so that kind of makes me lose some interest. 5 points 7 rebounds vs texas tech. 4 points 5 rebounds vs Illinois.

See this is why I have no idea what is going on just throwing out what I see. Haha. Thanks for the update on that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with the wait and see approach. Hard to judge what is going on until we have finals answers IMO. 

True, patience is called for as all the "moving parts" align.  BUT, each week I wonder to myself: "What did we do this week to get better?".  Obviously, it's early but thus far nothing.  As days, weeks, months pass it will become apparent what our immediate trajectory will be.  I still maintain that if we only take incremental changes, it will lead to incremental (read:modest) improvements.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

True, patience is called for as all the "moving parts" align.  BUT, each week I wonder to myself: "What did we do this week to get better?".  Obviously, it's early but thus far nothing.  As days, weeks, months pass it will become apparent what our immediate trajectory will be.  I still maintain that if we only take incremental changes, it will lead to incremental (read:modest) improvements.

At this point, none of the impact transfers have committed anywhere. Maybe you could say the 2 Murray state players going to LSU were impact players, but LSU also lost their whole team. So to this point, there’s not really any team that’s done much to improve for next year. It’ll take awhile for the portal to sort itself out. But agreed that we need to add an impact player (or 2-3 impact players if TJD and/or race leave) if we want more than incremental improvements.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

See this is why I have no idea what is going on just throwing out what I see. Haha. Thanks for the update on that. 

Oh I agree completely. I think it’s great to get names out there as it’s great to discuss. I would’ve never known his name unless you said something.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If Kofi leaves will UI have any big guys

Dainja transferred in from Baylor mid season and has been practicing with the team for months. Hawkins can also play the 5 if they choose to go small. If Kofi doesn't return they'll probably look to get another depth piece from the portal though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...