Transfer Portal 2022

18 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

LSU Brandon Murray headed to Georgetown. As bad as they were last year, have to give Ewing credit for getting him, he is a pretty good pickup.

That says more about Brandon's lack of judgment than it does about Ewing's prowess.  Just a bad, bad decision on his part.

• Like 4

People pooh-poohing the prospect of player development forget that Victor Oladipo went from 20.8% from distance as a sophomore to 44.1% as a junior.

Why on earth would you make the assumption that a team will be no better by bringing back the same players with another year of development/experience?  Unless your coach is Patrick Ewing, that's just a silly assumption.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Why on earth would you make the assumption that a team will be no better by bringing back the same players with another year of development/experience?

My guess is some people are skeptical of assumed improvement because the graphic below shows Coach Archie Miller's record after 4 years of development/experience (compared to Woodson's one year). 

We've been through this before.  "Coach Knight knows what he's doing" (he admits he slacked off in the final years and went fishing.)  Then "Help is on the Way" from Mike Davis.  Then "Trust Coach Crean."  Then "Trust Coach Miller."  All promises about the future that never happened. 

I hope we're better next year.  Maybe we'll be a LOT better.  But I'll believe it when I see it on the floor, and that doesn't include padding a schedule with easy wins just to tilt the record.  I want a good nationally ranked team again that is relevant at the end of the year.

Edit:  Coach Woodson did indeed improve upon this graphic this past season. 

image.png.fbe48fcef52b9d0c2094b1a9ffb51750.png

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

People pooh-poohing the prospect of player development forget that Victor Oladipo went from 20.8% from distance as a sophomore to 44.1% as a junior.

Why on earth would you make the assumption that a team will be no better by bringing back the same players with another year of development/experience?  Unless your coach is Patrick Ewing, that's just a silly assumption.

The conversation started way earlier with the posting of an espn article putting IU top 25 and 3rd amongst B1G teams mentioned.  

Jumping from 10th to 3rd while possibly losing its best player is extremely unlikely by every possible reasonable measure.  

If Bates and Geronimo make Olidipo jumps then yeah sure.  Since Olidipo IU has shown little incremental jumps.  New regime that showed some in season player developmen,t that can let hope arise again but it's all hope until it comes to fruition.  We need fresh fruit.  Ill also take B1G start now material type of guy on the wing.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The conversation started way earlier with the posting of an espn article putting IU top 25 and 3rd amongst B1G teams mentioned.  

Jumping from 10th to 3rd while possibly losing its best player is extremely unlikely by every possible reasonable measure.  

If Bates and Geronimo make Olidipo jumps then yeah sure.  Since Olidipo IU has shown little incremental jumps.  New regime that showed some in season player developmen,t that can let hope arise again but it's all hope until it comes to fruition.  We need fresh fruit.  Ill also take B1G start now material type of guy on the wing.  

They had us third with TJD on the team

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

To which i commented our ceiling is 5th without and Ive been lectured about player growth for going on 10 hours.  

I guess I should lower my standards and be happy with a 5th place finish.

I would say that most big ten teams losing their best player might have lower expectations.  This is why I hope TJD doesn't drag this along slowly because if he leaves we need to be able to replace him.

• Like 1

I think I posted this in the right thread, not sure any more. I had to check twice to make sure I wasnt in the IU off season thread or the 2022-23season thread or the what will IU look like next season thread. Holy S$^t all these threads are the same.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

I think I posted this in the right thread, not sure any more. I had to check twice to make sure I wasnt in the IU off season thread or the 2022-23season thread or the what will IU look like next season thread. Holy S$^t all these threads are the same.

Wrong thread.  :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The issue I have with relying on player improvement is that it doesn't occur in a bubble - the players on other teams will be working to get better too.  So unless we see dramatic improvements you may not make any ground relative to opponents. It's been a while since any IU player has improved immensively over the previous season. The biggest predictable gains are either: 1) You lose less production from departing players than other teams, or 2) You add more talent than those opponents.  As it stands we may be ahead of the rest of the B10 on the first item, and possibly on the second (depending on how much contribution the freshman make and/or we do anything substantial in the portal).

• Like 1