Jump to content

Transfer Portal 2022


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good to hear. Do you think that means we know TJD or Race or both are gone

Not sure...I was an assistant coach on a team that played against Sparks in high school, never saw him as a big ten player. But if he lost 30-40 lbs and found a motor...I might feel different. Sounds like those things are happening behind the scenes

Edited by Coach Robby
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

us. He may decide pretty quickly

He comes off as a bully in the highlight video.  I'll take it.

On another note, the transfer portal is just going to about ensure that those MAC type of teams will have a very hard time of going on one of those Majerus like runs going into the future.  This kid looks like he could have had Ball State making a little noise in a few years, but with the portal those guys get poached by bigger schools with more resources now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Not sure...I was an assistant coach on a team that played against Sparks in high school, never saw him as a big ten player. But if he lost 30-40 lbs and found a motor...I might feel different. Sounds like those things are happening behind the scenes

Body by Clif, motor by Woody 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I do think he'd be crazy to not at least put his name in the draft and get the feedback...and if he's high enough on some team's board he should certainly entertain going...

Look no further than our own program 6 years ago. Many thought Bryant needed to come back. $30M later his late second round draft pick isn't looking so bad. I think fans make more of the you have to be drafted in first stuff.

Lots of bars and casinos full of first round picks no longer in the league. If I'm TJD...I get going unless he really wants the legacy stuff which would be awesome. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure that's really the question. I don't think TJD could really change his draft stock much either way. 

I'd be shocked if he comes back, but if he is considering it then I think it's more about legacy then draft stock. 

He's most likely a 2nd round pick regardless, the question is more of whether he wants to start some type of pro career now or is his IU legacy more important especially given he can make NIL money. 

That's the answer I assumed as well. I can't think of recent college player moving the needle that much by returning beyond year 2. If it's legacy that keeps him here then I'm with you, would be shocked if he returns

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

That's the answer I assumed as well. I can't think of recent college player moving the needle that much by returning beyond year 2. If it's legacy that keeps him here then I'm with you, would be shocked if he returns

Yeah, different skill set, but Luka Garza would be a good example. Was projected late second round after his junior year. Came back, won national player of the year and was drafted 52nd. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

That's the answer I assumed as well. I can't think of recent college player moving the needle that much by returning beyond year 2. If it's legacy that keeps him here then I'm with you, would be shocked if he returns

I see what you're saying here, but maybe stated a different way. If they don't improve significantly from year 2-3, then is there a point for year 4?  Oladipo year 2-3 was a tremendous improvement. I'm still hoping TJD comes back. Let's not understate the enjoyment of the 4th year with the potential to be B10 player of the year. Legacy, I get it. But it's very valuable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Just a guess: I think we will need to replace our entire front court besides Geronimo.

If that’s the case maybe a full rebuild might be in order. Keep XJ, Leal, Bates, Geronimo and Gallo. Then the rest of the roster revamp.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Does that include Duncomb, or are you just talking about the guys who played this year?

I'd like to see what Duncomb can do. I don't care if he never becomes All Big Ten. If he can give us 10 minutes off the bench and shoot the 3, I'll take it. Seems like other teams always have a guy like that. Anything beyond that would be great.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

If that’s the case maybe a full rebuild might be in order. Keep XJ, Leal, Bates, Geronimo and Gallo. Then the rest of the roster revamp.

Depending on how Leals growth is and has been, he might need to go Preferred walk-on and open a scholarship.  Love the kid, but year 2 and he hardly saw the floor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Depending on how Leals growth is and has been, he might need to go Preferred walk-on and open a scholarship.  Love the kid, but year 2 and he hardly saw the floor.

I don’t think we’re ever gonna be playing 12-13 players anyway. Leal keep his scholly. Dude loves iu, and he is good enough to give us some shooting off the bench. He’s not super quick on perimeter but his man to man defense when he isn’t in space isn’t bad. He’s smart, makes good decisions, great teammate, and probably best shooter on the team. Run some plays for him. I think next year without as many older players he gets 10 minutes a game and helps a lot more than he hurts. Another year in woodsons system he may get better on defense as well. I don’t think he came in with expectations to be starting or playing big minutes his first two years. I think he can give us more than Stewart did this year. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I don’t think we’re ever gonna be playing 12-13 players anyway. Leal keep his scholly. Dude loves iu, and he is good enough to give us some shooting off the bench. He’s not super quick on perimeter but his man to man defense when he isn’t in space isn’t bad. He’s smart, makes good decisions, great teammate, and probably best shooter on the team. Run some plays for him. I think next year without as many older players he gets 10 minutes a game and helps a lot more than he hurts. Another year in woodsons system he may get better on defense as well. I don’t think he came in with expectations to be starting or playing big minutes his first two years. I think he can give us more than Stewart did this year. 

Never said he didn't love IU or was a great team mate.  He was not good on defense.  And had a chance to showcase how he is the best shooter on the team and didn't.  Plus if he was such a sniper, he would have found the floor.  He loves IU. So have so many others.  Doesn't mean he has the skillset to take a scholarship.  Regardless if we play 12 or 13, you use your scholarships on the best 12-13 players you can put on your bench because you don't know which of them might move from 12 to 7 in the rotation.  And since IU will always honor his scholarship for scholastics he will have his school payed for and still remain on the team.  Just my thoughts. But this team needs players who might make it on the floor next year, and i just don't see him doing it, unless he makes a huge jump in skillset

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Never said he didn't love IU or was a great team mate.  He was not good on defense.  And had a chance to showcase how he is the best shooter on the team and didn't.  Plus if he was such a sniper, he would have found the floor.  He loves IU. So have so many others.  Doesn't mean he has the skillset to take a scholarship.  Regardless if we play 12 or 13, you use your scholarships on the best 12-13 players you can put on your bench because you don't know which of them might move from 12 to 7 in the rotation.  And since IU will always honor his scholarship for scholastics he will have his school payed for and still remain on the team.  Just my thoughts. But this team needs players who might make it on the floor next year, and i just don't see him doing it, unless he makes a huge jump in skillset

I think this is jumping the gun. When Leal committed, he was always picked as someone more likely to contribute as a junior/senior. I do not remember anyone saying he would have an immediate impact. So to date, he has done exactly what we hoped - improved from year to year. A similar improvement this offseason - especially on defense - and he will see the floor

I have not seen anything that makes me think this won't be the case. I do not doubt that he will be a solid contributor on the team the next couple - even to three - years.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Never said he didn't love IU or was a great team mate.  He was not good on defense.  And had a chance to showcase how he is the best shooter on the team and didn't.  Plus if he was such a sniper, he would have found the floor.  He loves IU. So have so many others.  Doesn't mean he has the skillset to take a scholarship.  Regardless if we play 12 or 13, you use your scholarships on the best 12-13 players you can put on your bench because you don't know which of them might move from 12 to 7 in the rotation.  And since IU will always honor his scholarship for scholastics he will have his school payed for and still remain on the team.  Just my thoughts. But this team needs players who might make it on the floor next year, and i just don't see him doing it, unless he makes a huge jump in skillset

Leal is an interesting scenario because you have a guy that started one game (under a very specific scenario.. Stewart sitting and Galloway injured) yet also failed to see the court in about half of the games. I really have no idea where exactly he stands with Woodson. Who knows maybe Woodson has some confidence in him heading into next year? I do get your point though about whether or not he has what it takes to make that major leap forward.

Edited by 02Hoosier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Leal was never protrayed as a sharp shooter by any one that had watched him in HS. Absolutely never an elite shooter.. he had open shots in HS and played on an ELITE team. They ran great offense. 

Leal is completely fine as your 12th or 13th scholarship. Perfect in that role, really. 

Agree 100%

I don't care if Anthony plays a minute for us. I like him on our team.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I disagree with the above comments. I think hes WAY better than the 12h or 13th man on our team. One of the issues I had w/ Woody this year was not playing him more. High basketball IQ like Galloway. The kid can ball. We will see what he brings next year. 

Could be better... he was actually 11th this season.

They weren't options to play at all, Duncomb and Lander in the 12th anf 13th spots. Really you could do a roster like that.. 2 spots reserved for guys you take chances on, a Leal, and 10 rotational guys. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...