Transfer Portal 2022

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Umm were are we going to find the scholarships for these transfers?  With the assumption that Trace and Race come back, we have zero left correct?

Race already confirmed he is back, but yes if TJD is back we are full. So if SM or DD commits, someone is moving on. 

6 minutes ago, ephul said:

The problem with that is, we really don't know what we're getting in JHS. Relying on JHS and Tamar could be dangerous if we are looking to take the next step. We've seen flashes of what Tamar can provide, but he's still relatively unproven.

I'd love to get Dennis. A veteran, athletic guy that loves defense. Good slasher and has a good shot. Shot it well as a freshman but regressed a bit for whatever reason. I think he fits in really well and would provide a ton of flexibility. We wouldn't have to rely on freshmen or unproven guys.

We need shooters more then we need defense. His last three seasons he shot 29.7 and twice 33.6 while averaging 8.4 PTS. Yes his defense would be a plus but his offense leaves a lot to be desired. Having an athletic wing is nice but having shooters would open the floor up so much more for our bigs. His fg% the last three seasons is 35.3 36.7 and 34.8, not exactly stellar. We would be gaining defense but not much on the offensive end.

If they do bring him in it is whatever, but I don't think he would move the needle much for the Hoosiers.

• Like 4

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

We need shooters more then we need defense. His last three seasons he shot 29.7 and twice 33.6 while averaging 8.4 PTS. Yes his defense would be a plus but his offense leaves a lot to be desired. Having an athletic wing is nice but having shooters would open the floor up so much more for our bigs. His fg% the last three seasons is 35.3 36.7 and 34.8, not exactly stellar. We would be gaining defense but not much on the offensive end.

If they do bring him in it is whatever, but I don't think he would move the needle much for the Hoosiers.

We say that until the hole in the defense is gaping. So many times last year we watched Kopp and Stewart's guy drive right around them through the lane only to put Trayce and Race in a predicament.

I agree with you 1000%. Shooters are absolutely needed. But he's essentially the same player as Kopp. And if we really reaching our potential, Kopp is coming off the bench.

If McNeil can hold his own defensively and shoot it at a high clip, then absolutely. He fills a bigger need. 

6 minutes ago, ephul said:

We say that until the hole in the defense is gaping. So many times last year we watched Kopp and Stewart's guy drive right around them through the lane only to put Trayce and Race in a predicament.

I agree with you 1000%. Shooters are absolutely needed. But he's essentially the same player as Kopp. And if we really reaching our potential, Kopp is coming off the bench.

If McNeil can hold his own defensively and shoot it at a high clip, then absolutely. He fills a bigger need. 

Indiana was ranked 24th on D with Kopp and Stewart playing 25 minutes per game. It’s not as needed as a shooter.  Dennis was horrible offensively with a PER of 12.9 during his time at WSU.  He doesn’t solve our horrendous shooting and our 95th ranked offense. Indiana has an issue here with lacking shooters and two bigs who have not proven to be able to shoot the ball as well.  It makes us easier to guard when we just dump it down because teams can leave players alone.  

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Well I don't actually want McNeil either lol. I would rather stick with the roster the way it is now unless we could get a shooter that is somewhat competent on defense.

With Dennis he would be another Rob, a good defender but an inefficient offensive player.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ephul said:

The problem with that is, we really don't know what we're getting in JHS. Relying on JHS and Tamar could be dangerous if we are looking to take the next step. We've seen flashes of what Tamar can provide, but he's still relatively unproven.

I'd love to get Dennis. A veteran, athletic guy that loves defense. Good slasher and has a good shot. Shot it well as a freshman but regressed a bit for whatever reason. I think he fits in really well and would provide a ton of flexibility. We wouldn't have to rely on freshmen or unproven guys.

Jeremiah Rivers?

2 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Indiana was ranked 24th on D with Kopp and Stewart playing 25 minutes per game. It’s not as needed as a shooter.  Dennis was horrible offensively with a PER of 12.9 during his time at WSU.  He doesn’t solve our horrendous shooting and our 95th ranked offense. Indiana has an issue here with lacking shooters and two bigs who have not proven to be able to shoot the ball as well.  It makes us easier to guard when we just dump it down because teams can leave players alone.  

I agree 100%. But are we going to have the luxury of having Trayce down low on defense?

I want a shooter too. Absolutely fills a void. But if it's another Miller Kopp, are we solving anything? I don't know. Maybe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i would LOVE this.  if TJD comes back and JG doesn't leave and we roll with what we currently have!?  sign me up!  i just have to b skeptical that TJD and JG both come back with Reneau too.

Everyone should be skeptical but as it looks he won’t be drafted in first and early second so coming back might be his best option. 

I don’t think we get McNeil. However, if Kopp was shooting how we all “think” he should we wouldn’t even be looking. He didn’t do that last year and it hurt us severely. He didn’t hold up on his end in the shooting department. We bring on another non shooter who is great on defense that’s good defense travels, but still missing a sniper. Not sold on Kopp at all. Maybe he will be better next year, but I don’t expect to see a much different player in year 5 of college. 

• Like 5

Just now, ephul said:

I agree 100%. But are we going to have the luxury of having Trayce down low on defense?

I want a shooter too. Absolutely fills a void. But if it's another Miller Kopp, are we solving anything? I don't know. Maybe

I think we will.  He isn’t looking like he will be drafted where he said he would stay. Gives Reneau some time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Umm were are we going to find the scholarships for these transfers?  With the assumption that Trace and Race come back, we have zero left correct?

Woody has to treat TJD's spot as open and try to fill it.   Especially if we can upgrade the backcourt.   If TJD decides to come back(which I think is still likely) there won't be an issue.  This NLI stuff is a game changer.   TJD might not have a scholly if he returns but he'd have the money for tuition and housing in his bank account a day after announcing he's returning.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

don't know why i have suddenly decided to dominate the board.  guess bc my regulars aren't hammering my every single comment?  anyway, i don't know much, but if by chance JG and TJD both come back, it's so hard for me to imagine Reneau or Race not starting, but clearly TJD is starting.  maybe all could be happy if Race and Trayce started and Reneau was on the court pretty much any time either of them were out?  but then what for Geronimo?  i wish so bad he could primarily be a SF, but just can't see it.  maybe if he spends all offseason with that focus?  i am a huge advocate of having my best 5 players on the floor as much as possible regardless of position.  then play my next 3 good solid minutes regardless of position.  play #9 and #10 limited.  no one else needs to play in close games.  1 TJD 2 XJ 3 JHS 4 Bates 5 Thompson 6 Reneau 7 Geronimo 8 Galloway                  9 Kopp 10 Leal

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I don’t think we get McNeil. However, if Kopp was shooting how we all “think” he should we wouldn’t even be looking. He didn’t do that last year and it hurt us severely. He didn’t hold up on his end in the shooting department. We bring on another non shooter who is great on defense that’s good defense travels, but still missing a sniper. Not sold on Kopp at all. Maybe he will be better next year, but I don’t expect to see a much different player in year 5 of college. 

MK shot 36% from three in three seasons at NW. He shot 36% from three at IU last year. He is what he is. Unfortunately he regressed from two from 43% at NW to 35% at IU. He's never been a knockdown shooter or efficient. He attempted 10 to 11 shots per game at NW to average 11-13 points. He could improve this significantly, if he got to the line more as an 85% FT shooter, but that's never been his game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

don't know why i have suddenly decided to dominate the board.  guess bc my regulars aren't hammering my every single comment?  anyway, i don't know much, but if by chance JG and TJD both come back, it's so hard for me to imagine Reneau or Race not starting, but clearly TJD is starting.  maybe all could be happy if Race and Trayce started and Reneau was on the court pretty much any time either of them were out?  but then what for Geronimo?  i wish so bad he could primarily be a SF, but just can't see it.  maybe if he spends all offseason with that focus?  i am a huge advocate of having my best 5 players on the floor as much as possible regardless of position.  then play my next 3 good solid minutes regardless of position.  play #9 and #10 limited.  no one else needs to play in close games.  1 TJD 2 XJ 3 JHS 4 Bates 5 Thompson 6 Reneau 7 Geronimo 8 Galloway                  9 Kopp 10 Leal

My take: If JG does not really improve his game, he is not a starter on an elite team. If he does improve his game - namely handles - he can play heavy minutes at the three. 

Most of why we all want JG on the court next year is we assume that he is already working on his game and will make an equal or greater jump in skillset this offseason. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

My take: If JG does not really improve his game, he is not a starter on an elite team. If he does improve his game - namely handles - he can play heavy minutes at the three. 

Most of why we all want JG on the court next year is we assume that he is already working on his game and will make an equal or greater jump in skillset this offseason. 

My dad’s favorite phrase:

”You know what happens when you assume?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

MK shot 36% from three in three seasons at NW. He shot 36% from three at IU last year. He is what he is. Unfortunately he regressed from two from 43% at NW to 35% at IU. He's never been a knockdown shooter or efficient. He attempted 10 to 11 shots per game at NW to average 11-13 points. He could improve this significantly, if he got to the line more as an 85% FT shooter, but that's never been his game. 

I agree for sure. That’s kind of what I alluded to. We all want him to be that shooter he isn’t, so he let us down in thy regards even if it was a realistic expectation or not. We all want him to be hulls, zeisloft, Blackmon shooting ability. And I just don’t see it happening.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I agree for sure. That’s kind of what I alluded to. We all want him to be that shooter he isn’t, so he let us down in thy regards even if it was a realistic expectation or not. We all want him to be hulls, zeisloft, Blackmon shooting ability. And I just don’t see it happening.  

Which all three of them shot on the old 3pt line.