Transfer Portal 2022

52 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I disagree with the above comments. I think hes WAY better than the 12h or 13th man on our team. One of the issues I had w/ Woody this year was not playing him more. High basketball IQ like Galloway. The kid can ball. We will see what he brings next year. 

Leal is a winner, no doubt about it.  Plays his heart out.  He struggled on defense and any dribble drive.  I think, if he improves in this area he will grow into a spot.  It was evident for me live at Northwestern.  

When in the game, he has to be more than a guy who moves the ball, which he does well.  He has to be instant offense and as his shot struggled (even in pre-game) his time on the court reduced.

He has a role and like you said, will probably increase slightly.

• Like 1

Rabjohns was on A show yesterday with Jake Query and said there might possibly be some dissension on the coaching staff because of Wittman and Todd being at practices.  I didn’t know they were paid consultants.  He also said Geronimo likes it at IU but his people want him to explore other options.  Then again I thought Rabjohns said Geronimo was the only front court player returning….. will be an interesting off season!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Rabjohns was on A show yesterday with Jake Query and said there might possibly be some dissension on the coaching staff because of Wittman and Todd being at practices.  I didn’t know they were paid consultants.  He also said Geronimo likes it at IU but his people want him to explore other options.  Then again I thought Rabjohns said Geronimo was the only front court player returning….. will be an interesting off season!

Thanks for sharing.  The Wittman issue is legit. Paid assistants are not being used as the first line in discussion etc...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

In the HH interview, JG mentioned his at home trainer has influence on the decision.  Whats funny is the trainer he has since a kid, left as raw a basketball player as we have seen.  JG grew under this staff and hopefully stays.  It is funny who has an influence and who doesn't.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

My apologies if this is a dumb question, but I have not kept up with this issue….who is Todd?

• Thanks 1

The first thing on film I saw from Sparks was he needed to be in better shape. 

I wonder if over time this played a pretty big role in him avg less then one block per game. He doesn't even attempt to block some shots in the time I watched, and I think that's a direct result of him being tired. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Its more than just next year though right? I would assume the idea for Sparks would be, yes a good player next year... but not a 1 year rental, either. 

And we could potentially need to replace an entire front court. If Trayce, Race, Durr and Duncomb are all gone, adding a young guy like Sparks isn't going to hurt.

Plenty more PT to be had and to pitch to current recruits/transfers.

• Like 1

I didn't mind out coaching staff this year and would love to see everyone back next season. Have some consistency and continuity; they only had one year together!

As for the players, I - 1 to the Billionth Power - believe the staff should go all in on keeping JG. He is tantalizing, with so much upside. If he leaves, that would be a huge sting, imo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What is smoking?  Details?

This just sounds like more of the same to me, but because Rabby is repeating it, it has more validity? I just can't believe this is a major issue. Wittman is a consultant right? And who is telling Rabjohns this? So Fife is calling him and complaining? It's like bloggers and fans aren't satisfied unless there's behind the scenes drama. It's tiring. Then if something happens they can go "I told you so...". I would hope these coaches are not so thinned skinned and sensitive. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This just sounds like more of the same to, but because Rabby is repeating it, it has more validity? I just can't believe this is a major issue. Wittman is a consultant right? And who is telling Rabjohns this? So Fife is calling him and complaining? It's like bloggers and fans aren't satisfied unless there's behind the scenes drama. It's tiring. Then if something happens they can go "I told you so...". I would hope these coaches are not so thinned skinned and sensitive. 

Thanks, I had not read up high enough in the thread to see 0708's post that got the discussion started. 

Not the kind of distraction the program needs righ now, if true.

• Like 1

Color me skeptical on the staff issues.  I'm not saying there's never a disagreement.  I'm simply saying that these things tend to be magnified and blown out of proportion more often than not.  If there's a real problem, you'll see staff departures, but until then, I'm not sweating it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This just sounds like more of the same to, but because Rabby is repeating it, it has more validity? I just can't believe this is a major issue. Wittman is a consultant right? 

JG said on HH podcast the coaches are real tight and always talking and giving feedback to Coach.  There IS probably going to be turnover which happens to most staffs and Coach probably has more of an idea for a needs.  It would be natural no matter what the situation is/was.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

JG said on HH podcast the coaches are real tight and always talking and giving feedback to Coach.  There IS probably going to be turnover which happens to most staffs and Coach probably has more of an idea for a needs.  It would be natural no matter what the situation is/was.

I'd agree with that.  Turnover is inevitable.  If the program is struggling, people get fired.  If a program is successful, other schools want your coaches.

Some disagreement is inevitable on any staff.  I just question whether some minor event has been blown out of proportion.  That's what I suspect at least.

• Like 2