Transfer Portal 2022

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone super bored and want to tell us how many minutes a game Miller averaged with Phinisee and Galloway healthy and in the lineup?

There is more to it then JUST when they were healthy vs. being healthy, in game shape, etc. Ya know? 

But anyways, 

25.1mpg in the games that those other two played.

23.3mpg in the 9 games that weren't Michigan and Iowa. He played 33mins in those games, obviously they skew the avg a bit.  

24 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone super bored and want to tell us how many minutes a game Miller averaged with Phinisee and Galloway healthy and in the lineup?

This is an excellent point/question. I know the narrative is always how bad Kopp and Stewart were and how many minutes they played, but those minutes weren't nearly as high when Galloway and Phinisee were both healthy. 

I didn't look it up, but just browsing some box scores, there were a lot of games where at least one of Kopp/Stewart had minutes in the teens when everyone was healthy. 

Didnt Galloway even start for Stewart one game right before his second injury?

• Like 1

IU finally has depth at all positions, especially if TJD comes back. Maybe not the elite size inside of some programs but if you have 6'9 TJD and Duncomb with 6'8 Race, Banks, and Malik... that's enough to win a lot of games. Plus the size on the perimeter compares to upper tier teams, so you won't see IU getting physically mismatched all over the floor. Just as important as the added size and depth, they are athletic and there's a difference.

Guys like Durr, DDavis, Jerkin and a cast of thousands in the 6'10 to 7'0 range have come and gone over the years and they all had something in common - they were slow, not athletic, or more project than player. Either due to injury or just not being that good they couldn't help the team more than a few sport minutes here and there offering little to no productivity. Can't see that happening with this group.

We know TJD and Race can play. We believe Malik and Banks bring more athleticism and basketball skills to the table. And Duncomb has had a year to bulk up and prepare to contribute. Very interested in seeing what he can bring to the team next season. So even if TJD moves on they will have guys who can play.

If they add Dexter Dennis, assuming he is more defensive stopper than offensive weapon, IU could have at least four high level defenders with TJD, JHS, DDennis and Galloway. That's not counting what X, Race and JG bring already and the potential of Malik, Banks, and Bates who are all potential defensive stoppers. 

IU has the chance to take a big step up defensively, which would be incredible to see, and then it's a matter of how much they can do on offense. I'm guessing CMW believes they will shoot better but even if thy don't it's going to be tough to score on IU.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is an excellent point/question. I know the narrative is always how bad Kopp and Stewart were and how many minutes they played, but those minutes weren't nearly as high when Galloway and Phinisee were both healthy. 

I didn't look it up, but just browsing some box scores, there were a lot of games where at least one of Kopp/Stewart had minutes in the teens when everyone was healthy. 

Didnt Galloway even start for Stewart one game right before his second injury?

Yes, UW at home. If Galloway was healthy the whole time he was basically going to move Parker to no mins. I've mentioned this... there is simply no way TG was ever where he needed to be conditioning wise. There is just no way, especially with the groin late. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sorry, that was in reference to the state's talent not panning out. I think we misidentified/didn't develop way more then the state not producing the talent. 

Desmond Bane would have solved some problems. 

@BGleasis a two time loser on missing out on Bane. The Celts traded him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There is talk out there that DD is likely headed to Bloomington fwiw. We'll see how things play out the next few days. 

If DD is headed our way, if he ends up being a below average shooter, i hope his shot looks more jacked up than Stan Robinson trying to shoot right handed. Not sure how many more players i can handle having Corvette form with Chevette results. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

If DD is headed our way, if he ends up being a below average shooter, i hope his shot looks more jacked up than Stan Robinson trying to shoot right handed. Not sure how many more players i can handle having Corvette form with Chevette results. 🤣

Closer to Christian Watford form with that high release but it's not terrible. So prepare yourself. 

• Like 2

The Kopp criticism is over the top, IMO.  In one sense, I understand it.  Some of you may remember that mid-season, I got on this idea of "empty minutes" from Kopp and Stewart.  Recall, they'd play 60 minutes combined and be non-existent, scoring nine points between them or whatever.

Personally, as the year went on, I differentiated Stewart and Kopp.  The latter can hit shots.  There is a Hoosier Hysterics with Walsh.  They asked him, "are you a better shooter than all the players?"  Walsh went right to Miller and explained what a good shooter he is.  Basically, earlier in the year, the guards were not getting him the ball in position to shoot effectively.  He was also shooting in the wrong spots on the floor, out of rhythm.  He was explaining what they needed to work out.  I don't think it's nerves at all.  I think it was a matter of getting accustomed to a new player and working out optimizing him.  IMO, things turned the corner with Miller in a way that they did not with Stewart and I do not lump them together.

We have people emphasizing our need for shooting on the one hand and then trying to say Miller should go.  It's incongruous.  Kopp can be a key player.  Understand, just because I am taking a positive position on Kopp doesn't mean I am saying he is Reggie Miller as a shooter.  I am saying he can hit some key threes in big games and our post game threads will be touting him.  I am not saying he will start or anything.  I am saying he can play a role and he can knock down shots.  And I am going to predict he hits some big shots for us and no one will remember this discussion and the angst with him.  IMO, we need shooting and Miller is a part of dealing with that.  People can disagree with me.  That's fine. None of what any of us says determines anything.  This will all be resolved on the floor next year.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

There is more to it then JUST when they were healthy vs. being healthy, in game shape, etc. Ya know? 

But anyways, 

25.1mpg in the games that those other two played.

23.3mpg in the 9 games that weren't Michigan and Iowa. He played 33mins in those games, obviously they skew the avg a bit.  

So only 2 minutes off of his average I would have thought Galloway would have put a bigger dent into his minutes but that was not the case.  

I could have swore somebody said kopp was only averaging about 18 minutes down the stretch I don't feel like that seems true just going off of memory.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

So only 2 minutes off of his average I would have thought Galloway would have put a bigger dent into his minutes but that was not the case.  

I could have swore somebody said kopp was only averaging about 18 minutes down the stretch I don't feel like that seems true just going off of memory.

Well, like I said, it was skewed because of those two 33 min games. "down the stretch" Trey didn't play until the BTT. TG cut into Parker's mins pretty substantially and I think TG and RP would have cut into MK's mins a little more if they would have been healthy. 

Someone had to play on the wing lol 

Basically.. from Ohio State at home to Illinois during the B1G season he avged 20mpg exactly. Then we had more injuries and I don't think the rotations ever got back to what we truly wanted them to be for a # of reasons. 6-2 in that stretch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Kopp criticism is over the top, IMO.  In one sense, I understand it.  Some of you may remember that mid-season, I got on this idea of "empty minutes" from Kopp and Stewart.  Recall, they'd play 60 minutes combined and be non-existent, scoring nine points between them or whatever.

Personally, as the year went on, I differentiated Stewart and Kopp.  The latter can hit shots.  There is a Hoosier Hysterics with Walsh.  They asked him, "are you a better shooter than all the players?"  Walsh went right to Miller and explained what a good shooter he is.  Basically, earlier in the year, the guards were not getting him the ball in position to shoot effectively.  He was also shooting in the wrong spots on the floor, out of rhythm.  He was explaining what they needed to work out.  I don't think it's nerves at all.  I think it was a matter of getting accustomed to a new player and working out optimizing him.  IMO, things turned the corner with Miller in a way that they did not with Stewart and I do not lump them together.

We have people emphasizing our need for shooting on the one hand and then trying to say Miller should go.  It's incongruous.  Kopp can be a key player.  Understand, just because I am taking a positive position on Kopp doesn't mean I am saying he is Reggie Miller as a shooter.  I am saying he can hit some key threes in big games and our post game threads will be touting him.  I am not saying he will start or anything.  I am saying he can play a role and he can knock down shots.  And I am going to predict he hits some big shots for us and no one will remember this discussion and the angst with him.  IMO, we need shooting and Miller is a part of dealing with that.  People can disagree with me.  That's fine. None of what any of us says determines anything.  This will all be resolved on the floor next year.

People also need to take into account that Parker Stewart finished the season shooting like 26% over the last 16 games and still finished the season at what 39%?

And Miller did basically the opposite over the last nine games shooting like 44% because of the things you just mentioned getting him in the right spots and in rhythm.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Not Sure why we are after McNeil, he is a shorter Kopp. Shot 36% from 3 just like kopp. Why not look at Eric Hunter Jr., Indiana kid and he shot 43% from 3.

Better overall player than Kopp that impacts the game in more ways. Stats don't always tell the whole story about a player. I'm confident in saying that Hunter isn't willing to go down that road. 

I don’t think Sean makes IU a national title contender, but he's numbers suggest he is more than just a shorter Kopp. Just because he is a good three point shooter, and Miller was supposed to be doesn't mean they are rhe same.

While it's not the most prestigious honor, McNeil was Big12 Honorable Mention this year. I don't think Kopp would get the same distinction. McNeil averaged 12ppg. Kopp averaged 6ppg. Mcneil had a better shooting percentage while also taking more shots. 

Again, he isn't the one missing piece, but he is an upgrade. 

5 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

I don’t think Sean makes IU a national title contender, but he's numbers suggest he is more than just a shorter Kopp. Just because he is a good three point shooter, and Miller was supposed to be doesn't mean they are rhe same.

While it's not the most prestigious honor, McNeil was Big12 Honorable Mention this year. I don't think Kopp would get the same distinction. McNeil averaged 12ppg. Kopp averaged 6ppg. Mcneil had a better shooting percentage while also taking more shots. 

Again, he isn't the one missing piece, but he is an upgrade. 

Kopp to avg. 12 points a game while NOT being at Indiana. I dont want either guy we are looking at just to loose a guy already here. Slight upgrade or not. Not enough to matter, you gave guys schollys, ride them and make them better.

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Guys like Durr, DDavis, Jerkin and a cast of thousands in the 6'10 to 7'0 range have come and gone over the years and they all had something in common - they were slow, not athletic, or more project than player.

I'm going to throw an asterisk up there on De'Ron Davis.  That knee injury his sophomore year really robbed him of a lot of his athleticism, and he stayed banged up for most of the rest of his career.  The 15 games he played as a sophomore showed promise: 16 points vs Duke (matched against Bagley and/or Wendell Carter), 16 vs Louisville, 13 vs Iowa.  He had a few clunkers, but the potential was there. 

• Like 6