Transfer Portal 2022

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That pendulum swings way wide in both directions.Β  Much weaker conference, bad team.Β Β 

My main sell for me is that if he's a better defender than anyone on Houston, he's one hell of a defender.Β  I don't need anyone blowing smoke up my butt that he's going to go back to his frosh year and shoot 40 for us based on a 2 min highlight clip in which he shot 100%

Correct, no one but Scott has watched much of Wichita st since our tourney game.Β Β 

The false equivalency is no one has said he's going to be great.Β 

You've got an asymmetric situation where you have people writing him off based on hardly any knowledge.Β 

Weaker conference, weaker talent around him.Β 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, a guy shooting in the low 30s from 3 (and in the 20s during conference) and in the 50s from the line is crap. I’m glad he made a few mid range jumpers and can make dunks, but he isn’t creating for himself at all so I’d expect the overall efficiency to be higher.

He is so much closer to HMP or Freddie McSwain than he is Vic or OG. I love his potential but right now he hasn’t done anything with it heading into his third season and he’s looking at being buried on the bench in his third season if TJD really is coming back.Β 
Β 

EDIT: If you’re going to give me PER, he’s in the exact same range as McSwain or HMP with comparable rebound and block numbers. Those three guys really all offered the same thing, where as none of them could touch Vic or even OG with all the other things those two did as Uber athletic guys we have had.Β 

As a sophomore, Vic shot .208 from 3 point land.Β Β 

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They didn’t, but Geronimo is terrible at it so why is that a differentiator? He shot in the 20s in conference play from deep.Β 

Eh...your cherry-picking a bit there.Β  I looked him up and he's 33.3% for his career thus far.Β  He at least shows promise from distance.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kopp shot like 6% better under our staff compared to the year prior. You aren't anywhere close to a finished product as a 22 or 23 year old basketball player.Β 

This move along with everything else we have and will develop... yeah big year coming.Β 

Huh?? 6%?? He shot the worst percentage of his career from 2 last year?? Β Over 6% worse than his sophomore year! He also shot almost 4% worse from 3 pt. He did shoot slightly better from 3 than last year but still was worse from 2…and did it on about half the shot attempts and scoring half what he did at Northwestern his sophomore season. Basically Miller Kopp was a non factor…almost all his advanced metrics say he did not get better at IU last year over his career at Northwestern. It basically told us…he was the same player basically…just on a better team. I think he was a good leader and I don’t dislike him but he didnt make the impact I believe we were counting on….and maybe that’s another reason Fife is gone…because wasn’t he Fifes only recruit??

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Huh?? 6%?? He shot the worst percentage of his career from 2 last year?? Β Over 6% worse than his sophomore year! He also shot almost 4% worse from 3 pt. He did shoot slightly better from 3 than last year but still was worse from 2…and did it on about half the shot attempts and scoring half what he did at Northwestern his sophomore season. Basically Miller Kopp was a non factor…almost all his advanced metrics say he did not get better at IU last year over his career at Northwestern. It basically told us…he was the same player basically…just on a better team. I think he was a good leader and I don’t dislike him but he did make the impact I believe we were counting on….andI maybe that’s another reason Fife is gone…because wasn’t he Fifes only recruit??

Sorry.. I have looked at a million different stats this week. Miller shot 6% better from 3 in conference compared to the year prior.Β 

I'm honestly quite tired of discussing MK.Β 

He is a flipping stop gap to get from where we were, you know, 12-15 under Archie... to 21-14 in Woodsons first season to preseason top 20 this year. He's on campus one friggin season and we can find someone else to whip.Β 

I have no clue where this conversation has even gone.Β 

But here-- our wings will be an immense amount better, and hopefully add Dennis to that. We bring back XJ, TJD, and RT-- they are very good. We add two 5 star FR, we certainly expect JG to improve some.. plus, you add in a whole other year with our staff... development, continuity. We are loaded.Β Β 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Eh...your cherry-picking a bit there.Β  I looked him up and he's 33.3% for his career thus far.Β  He at least shows promise from distance.

13 3s in his college career. He looks like a really good backup to me, at this point. On a really good team, that is.Β 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sorry.. I have looked at a million different stats this week. Miller shot 6% better from 3 in conference compared to the year prior.Β 

He is a flipping stop gap to get from where we were, you know, 12-15 under Archie... to 21-14 in Woodsons first season to preseason top 20 this year. He's on campus one friggin season and we can find someone else to whip.Β 

But here-- our wings will be an immense amount better, and hopefully add Dennis to that. We bring back XJ, TJD, and RT-- they are very good. We add two 5 star FR, we certainly expect JG to improve some.. plus, you add in a whole other year with our staff... development, continuity. We are loaded.Β Β 

Sorry.. forgot to add, imo. πŸ™„

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I doubt Dennis is coming with the recent chatter about TJD coming back.Β  Unless the staff gets a late surprise or does something creative with the NIL, I'd say the roster is set.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Β πŸ‘ No worries…I just look at Dennis as another stop gap…and like I said…that’s fine if he is filling that Miller Kopp role. It’s honestly an upgrade probably in my mind because of his defense…but I’m not going to say it’s the move that will put us over the top in conference play. I think he will just be who he has been the last couple years. I’m more than excited to develop and give time to our young guys..let them develop. Might cost us some games early but by the end of the year this year I think JHS, XJ, TB backcourt could be very good. Just the MK number thing threw me for a loop at first and I wasn’t really understanding the β€œhe got better at IU angle”. Not sure anyone could say MK was any different a ball player at IU then NW. had his good moments but also disappeared a ton too.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Β πŸ‘ No worries…I just look at Dennis as another stop gap…and like I said…that’s fine if he is filling that Miller Kopp role. It’s honestly an upgrade probably in my mind because of his defense…but I’m not going to say it’s the move that will put us over the top in conference play. I think he will just be who he has been the last couple years. I’m more than excited to develop and give time to our young guys..let them develop. Might cost us some games early but by the end of the year this year I think JHS, XJ, TB backcourt could be very good. Just the MK number thing threw me for a loop at first and I wasn’t really understanding the β€œhe got better at IU angle”. Not sure anyone could say MK was any different a ball player at IU then NW. had his good moments but also disappeared a ton too.

100% agree Dennis is a stop gap. He just has talents that we don't currently have, at the level he has them at.Β 

I don't think I've said its the "ultimate" personnel move that moves us in the elite category. Everything I have said has been looking through the lens of bringing back and adding everything I've mentioned earlier.Β 

I won't be surpised at all if Miller is 37-38%+.Β 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

100% agree Dennis is a stop gap. He just has talents that we don't currently have, at the level he has them at.Β 

I don't think I've said its the "ultimate" personnel move that moves us in the elite category. Everything I have said has been looking through the lens of bringing back and adding everything I've mentioned earlier.Β 

I won't be surpised at all if Miller is 37-38%+.Β 

You think Miller starts? Just wondering…I think his role has to change.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I doubt Dennis is coming with the recent chatter about TJD coming back.Β  Unless the staff gets a late surprise or does something creative with the NIL, I'd say the roster is set.

Β 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm basing that off 4 different sources saying both are coming. I have no clue how it works out, not my job!Β 

You missed my critical caveat in bold...

Just now, dgambill said:

You think Miller starts? Just wondering…I think his role has to change.

Yeah, I do.. and I think he will generally play the first 6-7 mins of each half.... and then we have different combos the rest of the game. When we were truly 100%-- there were games he was being fased out, last year.Β 

Obviously there will be times he plays outside of that rotation.. but 18-20mpg is what I see Miller playing. I think the role is the same.. stand there and shoot, play adequate defense.Β 

There are plenty of scenarios that could easily work without him starting, though.Β 

• Like 1