Brian Walsh - New Assistant Coach

Figured I would start a new thread on this. We already have the 2022 off season thread, but I felt this topic deserved its own. 

I am guessing this won't take long due to recruiting efforts. Will CMW go for another "IU guy," or perhaps an "NBA guy" that he is familiar with? Hopefully whoever is hired will be able to recruit the Midwest well.

Thoughts?

Go Hoosiers!!

• Like 3

The only "IU guys" I can think of that might be a good fit here are:

Keith Smart or Michael Lewis. I have no idea if either of them would have any interest in it, or if CMW has any interest in them.

Michael Lewis was mentioned as possibility before Fife was hired, but he might like UCLA and/or waiting on head coaching position.

Keith Smart would be interesting due to his NBA/IU combination. But, I have no idea if he would want this job and/or be a good recruiter.

I personally don't care if it is an IU guy or not, as long as they do the job well, and are excellent at recruiting, but I know it matters to some. IU needs to hire someone who has the chops to recruit first and foremost, as I think CMW, Matta, (Wittman?), can handle the X's and 0's aspects well.

Go Hoosiers!!

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I personally don't care if it is an IU guy or not, as long as they do the job well, and are excellent at recruiting, but I know it matters to some. IU needs to hire someone who has the chops to recruit first and foremost, as I think CMW, Matta, (Wittman?), can handle the X's and 0's aspects well.

Same. I know a lot of people want someone who understands "the IU way", but lately, that way has been not making the tournament and failing to finish even in the top half of the B1G. Let CMW hire the person he wants, whether that's an IU guy or some dude behind the counter at the 7-11 in West Lafayette. This is his program now, and if we fully trust in him to get the job done (and year one was a pretty good start), then he needs people around him that he believes in and that he can trust. 

Unless, of course, it's Dakich. :coffee:

• Haha 4

I personally don’t want Michael Lewis. Not a knock on him but he’s going to get a head coaching gig very soon if not this year definitely next. We need someone who is going to stay 3-4-5 years and build something special. Brian Walsh apparently kills it on the recruiting trail but what can he do differently as an assistant coach and can we bring someone whose just as good as him int his position. If we can’t I’d give him a raise to stay in same position so we can still get an elite recruiter. 

I will say this kinda fits in with the thought of "We need Indiana kids on our team".  We need kids that understand what it means to play for IU.  Zeke, Yogi, Vic, Watford, Woodson, Bryant, Shehee, Hulls.....not all were from Indiana, but they all got it. 

Whoever we bring in doesnt need to be "an IU guy" but he needs to get it.  Young guy, old guy, doesnt matter but he also needs to have his finger on the pulse of recruiting and have the ear of the kids. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Who is Drew Adams? Is he an elite recruiter?

Assistant at Bradley. He’s from Bloomington and his dad runs Indiana Elite. He’s gotten good players to Bradley (for their level), and he’s got good connections in the midwest.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Assistant at Bradley. He’s from Bloomington and his dad runs Indiana Elite. He’s gotten good players to Bradley (for their level), and he’s got good connections in the midwest.

Are there going to be any bumper sticker issues with him?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at Bradley’s roster, they have a handful of foreign players.  I have no idea if Drew had anything to do with it but I am intrigued by that idea.  You can get some steals from Europe and elsewhere.

Being in Peoria for 7 years, hopefully he has good recruiting ties in Illinois and elsewhere in the Midwest (besides Indiana).  He needs to get his butt down to get with Trent Sisley and Jack Benter.  Josh Harrelson is a massive priority too.  

Furthermore, I hope he’s got a good grasp of X’s and O’s.   Ideas for game plan, adjustments, and player development  are always important.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Looking at Bradley’s roster, they have a handful of foreign players.  I have no idea if Drew had anything to do with it but I am intrigued by that idea.  You can get some steals from Europe and elsewhere.

Being in Peoria for 7 years, hopefully he has good recruiting ties in Illinois and elsewhere in the Midwest (besides Indiana).  He needs to get his butt down to get with Trent Sisley and Jack Bender.  Josh Harrelson is a massive priority too.  

Furthermore, I hope he’s got a good grasp of X’s and O’s.   Ideas for game plan, adjustments, and player development  are always important.  

Psshhh.. Europe? Tennessee got Vescovi from Uruguay!! There's dudes everywhere! Wouldn't have had to leave this hemisphere for him! 🤣

• Thanks 1