Brian Walsh - New Assistant Coach

I guess if we can throw out any name let's go with this kid Mike Krzyzewski. I hear he will be available soon and he has ties to IU.

In reality, I think there are some good recruiters out there that have become free lately or currently work on lower tier teams. Chad Dollar is at UC now as an assistant but he did a really good job recruiting while at Georgia where he landed Anthony Edwards (#1 pick in the 2020 NBA draft) among others.

Tony Barbee is the coach at Central Michigan but they had a terrible first season. If he were to become available or want to move back as an assistant he's had a lot of recruiting success at uk and been a head coach multiple times. He's from Indianapolis.

Edited by Euroclydon

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I guess if we can throw out any name let's go with this kid Mike Krzyzewski. I hear he will be available soon and he has ties to IU.

In reality, I think there are some good recruiters out there that have become free lately or currently work on lower tier teams. Chad Dollar is at UC now as an assistant but he did a really good job recruiting while at Georgia where he landed Anthony Edwards (#1 pick in the 2020 NBA draft) among otheres.

Tony Barbee is the coach at Central Michigan but they had a terrible first season. If he were to become available or want to move back as an assistant he's had a lot of recruiting success at uk and been a head coach multiple times. He's from Indianapolis.

Whoever it is, I want it to be someone that can cast a wide net (successfully, of course).

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Not my info.. its been mentioned somewhere Adams has a connection with Milo Littles current HC.

Edit: or Miro Little, whichever one we are recruiting 🤣🤣

Bradley has a guy from the Helsinki Basketball Academy on their roster. I think that may be Miro Little's team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Looking at Bradley’s roster, they have a handful of foreign players.  I have no idea if Drew had anything to do with it but I am intrigued by that idea.  You can get some steals from Europe and elsewhere.

Being in Peoria for 7 years, hopefully he has good recruiting ties in Illinois and elsewhere in the Midwest (besides Indiana).  He needs to get his butt down to get with Trent Sisley and Jack Benter.  Josh Harrelson is a massive priority too.  

Furthermore, I hope he’s got a good grasp of X’s and O’s.   Ideas for game plan, adjustments, and player development  are always important.  

They had 5 guards transfer off the 20-21 team, including Sean East, who was Romeo's HS pg. Looks like 4 of the guys were named, and subsequently cleared, in a police investigation. (East wasn't part of the investigation)  Probably doesn't mean much in regards to what we're talking about but it happened to his team.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How many recruiters do you actually need.  We have Hunter and YW plus Woody.  Also doesn't Walsh do a lot of the keg work.

Woody doesn’t recruit. He closes after the assistants do the recruiting. His assistants have to be able to recruit and go out on the road and Walsh can’t go in the road either.

Edited by DC2345

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Exactly because what if wittman goes into homes as the main recruiter and screws up and we lose someone an elite recruiter can get. If he could recruit and wanted the job I’d have to think he would’ve been hired in year 1.

Hold on. I didn't mean it that we shouldn't hire Woodson. I was simply telling Scott... recruiting cannot be understated. 

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Woody doesn’t recruit. He closes after the assistants do the recruiting. His assistants have to be able to recruit and go out on the road and Walsh can’t go in the road either.

I like to have one assistant being more about player development and just teaching the game.  I know recruiting is important but I see a lack of fundamentals and development in the college game.  I think some of that is due to getting a guy who is mainly a recruiter and not really a coach.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I like to have one assistant being more about player development and just teaching the game.  I know recruiting is important but I see a lack of fundamentals and development in the college game.  I think some of that is due to getting a guy who is mainly a recruiter and not really a coach.

But doesn’t wittman do that now as a paid consultant who comes to practices?