IU Transfers

KDB

I hate seeing Rob P. leave, even though it may be for the best.  The concussion in his freshman year really stunted his development, IMO.  His offense just never stayed in gear.

I remember him showing up at HS games for RL and being a committed proponent of the program.  Never got in trouble, got his degree.  Exemplary representative for IU basketball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Neither of those two have shown evidence of being centerpieces.  Duncomb may be a good project player to kerp and hope he develops.  I'm ambivalent about Kopp - he plays hard but is one-dimensional and inconsistent.

one dimensional. Tell me a player on this years team that wasn't ?

11 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

one dimensional. Tell me a player on this years team that wasn't ?

That was indeed a large part of our woes (although I'd say XJ, RT, & even TG contributed in multiple ways).  To be where we need to be we need better, more talented players and the roster is limited.  While it looks like we have some improvement in the pipeline with HS recruits, it's imperative that CMW & Co.  find a way to provide an influx of talent and what we are seeing are the necessary first steps.

Edited by Zuckerkorn

30 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There’s not a fit for him there. He’d play less than he did at IU.

I’m sure some of these guys are looking at the success and increased role Al Durham had at Providence and want some of that too. I don’t blame  any of them. If Al would have stayed at IU he definitely would have helped and  likely counted on a little more. Lord knows the troubles had this year with injuries. At the end of the day, certain players wanting to transfer from IU see the writing on the wall. With next year’s highly anticipated incoming freshmen class and Woodson’s interest in a few new portal transfers, it likely means more sitting the bench or not enough desired minutes. Any other players wanting to move on (not transfer) most likely have NBA aspersions. JMHO…🧐🤓

59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Appreciate Rob's efforts...but I'm ready to see better shooting.  Good luck, Rob!

You know, I've always thought that shooting was form, repetition, and confidence. Rob had the first 2, but the last one would show up on occasion, then leave again...

And I'm not sure just a change of scenery is going to rectify that...Another coach simply showing that he believes in Rob isn't going to change Rob's own confidence...

Coach Woodson showed Rob the ultimate confidence by letting him take that 2nd 3 pointer against Purdue...Coach Woodson was basically willing to bet the whole game on a 26% 3 point shooter just to let him know that he believed in him...

If that's not showing a kid confidence, I don't know what is...

Sadly, it never took long term...

• Like 7

My fear is we have to settle either in the portal or for some flyer freshman that isn’t as good as what we let go.  Not saying the talent didn’t need an upgrade because it did, but hopefully there was some promises from players that want to commit or we could be screwed. Again not saying I hate what’s going on but it could easily back fire as well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

My fear is we have to settle either in the portal or for some flyer freshman that isn’t as good as what we let go.  Not saying the talent didn’t need an upgrade because it did, but hopefully there was some promises from players that want to commit or we could be screwed. Again not saying I hate what’s going on but it could easily back fire as well.

Every school will go through this, even the schools still playing in the tournament.  We basically have free agency at th his point.  Will be interesting to look back 5 years from now and see which programs have the most success with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I liked all of our players last year, so it is sad to see them go. But here are the offense ratings of the players that have left so far: KL - 78.5, RP - 83.5, MD - 89.9, PS - 102.0. For reference, an average player in the big ten would have an offensive rating of 107 or 108. None of the players we have lost thus far were particularly productive last year on offense, and I'd argue rob was the only good defender out of the four. In addition to that, all of the players but Khristian had been in college at least 4 years, so I wouldn't expect huge jumps in production next year. It's tough because they all seem like really good people, but this team needed to shake things up a bit if we want to be good next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, I've always thought that shooting was form, repetition, and confidence. Rob had the first 2, but the last one would show up on occasion, then leave again...

And I'm not sure just a change of scenery is going to rectify that...Another coach simply showing that he believes in Rob isn't going to change Rob's own confidence...

Coach Woodson showed Rob the ultimate confidence by letting him take that 2nd 3 pointer against Purdue...Coach Woodson was basically willing to bet the whole game on a 26% 3 point shooter just to let him know that he believed in him...

If that's not showing a kid confidence, I don't know what is...

Sadly, it never took long term...

Al Durham's shooting didnt improve when he transferred.  But, his role expanded and he is more comfortable on the court.   The icing on the cake is his team won a conference championship and is still playing in the NCAA.

If Rob finds the right fit, he can enjoy a similar outcome to the one Al has.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

Why does everyone expect Miller Kopp to leave.  What does he have to gain by doing so?  And, doesnt it make more sense for Coach Woodson to push him to work on his shot than it does to push him out the door?

Keeping Kopp doesn't prevent us from finding other shooters in the portal.  If we can do that and Kopp returns to form, it makes us that much better.  Plus, its insurance in case we dont find another shooter in the portal.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Al Durham's shooting didnt improve when he transferred.  But, his role expanded and he is more comfortable on the court.   The icing on the cake is his team won a conference championship and is still playing in the NCAA.

If Rob finds the right fit, he can enjoy a similar outcome to the one Al has.

Oh, I agree. I was only talking about Rob's shooting. His defense alone was valuable enough to get him playing time for us, and I'm sure it will be for his next team.

As for Al, his numbers actually went way down in 3 point shooting (38% his last year at IU as opposed to 24% this year for the Friars). The notable discrepancy is the number of free throws he took this year. He basically doubled his time at the line. 

He definitely drove the ball more...maybe he was also getting a lot of calls that he wouldn't have gotten in the Big 10.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

With Durr leaving, I would like to see us take a shot at the Sparks kid.  Still a young guy so he would have time to develop.  With Woodson's rotations, we need about 10 guys who can really play.

I would like td see Sparks with our strength and conditioning program. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Why does everyone expect Miller Kopp to leave.  What does he have to gain by doing so?  And, doesnt it make more sense for Coach Woodson to push him to work on his shot than it does to push him out the door?

Keeping Kopp doesn't prevent us from finding other shooters in the portal.  If we can do that and Kopp returns to form, it makes us that much better.  Plus, its insurance in case we dont find another shooter in the portal.

Wishful thinking. Kopp was a smart player for us this year. He found a way to contribute on defense without being able to really guard anyone.  With him and Stewart in the same line-up at the same time we were playing 3 on 50 until the first time-out. I'm sure Kopp is aware he was a massive disappointment this year and my guess he wants a chance to leave on a better note. I'd really be surprised if TJD comes back and Race doesn't. I think the only other player we could lose would be Duncomb. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To your first question, I doubt it would be his choice. I think you make a good point on the backend. I was just hoping for a little more than we got this year from him. But if we don’t have better options, then I’d rather have him as a shooter than an empty spot. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I agree. I was only talking about Rob's shooting. His defense alone was valuable enough to get him playing time for us, and I'm sure it will be for his next team.

As for Al, his numbers actually went way down in 3 point shooting (38% his last year at IU as opposed to 24% this year for the Friars). The notable discrepancy is the number of free throws he took this year. He basically doubled his time at the line. 

He definitely drove the ball more...maybe he was also getting a lot of calls that he wouldn't have gotten in the Big 10.

Wasn't specifically referring to anything you posted on Kopp.  But, his name comes up a lot from people that think he's leaving as well as those that hope he does.

I'm of the opinion that Kopp returning to form can be an enormous benefit to this team.