IU Transfers

KDB

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Doesn't take much to fan the flames here...😂

Can't hear you, got a hurricane brewing in my head.  Searching for calmer waters....

In honesty though, whatever happens over the summer happens.  I don't get too attached to any of the guys, half the team is probably going to turn over this year and it felt like half of it did last year as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can't hear you, got a hurricane brewing in my head.  Searching for calmer waters....

In honesty though, whatever happens over the summer happens.  I don't get too attached to any of the guys, half the team is probably going to turn over this year and it felt like half of it did last year as well.

I miss those days when you got 4 years out of a player like Calbert Cheaney.

• Like 9

Well, I hope it's not half the guys.  There's something to be said for continuity.  That being said if some of IU's brick layers moved on, I wouldn't be too brokenhearted.  Better shooting would certainly help this team.

• Like 5

I mean, it's probably the new norm with the transfer portal, and I'm guessing NIL money will play a factor as well? Will be interesting to see what effects it has on the game.

Promising sign is how quickly this group picked up CMW's system, especially on the defensive end, so hopefully the newbies will as well. I still would hope to have a decent core of players return, though. Having guys familiar with the system is still valuable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I miss those days when you got 4 years out of a player like Calbert Cheaney.

I think it is because of my age at the time they played, but they were really kind of the last great group for me.  They covered a good deal of my middle school years and in Northern Indiana there were quite a few arguments around the lunch table about the Fab 5 and that group....

But they were really the last great team you got to follow for 4 years for me.  We had our downtime in the mid 90's and by the late 90's I was off to IU myself and you just don't tend to idolize guys you see around campus (the 2002 group).

Cheaney, Bailey, the Grahams, Henderson, Anderson, Reynolds, Meeks, Nover, Evans, Leary...(and I am totally forgetting guys) were like MY Indiana team.  I was in 2nd grade in 87 so do not remember those guys as much.  So the 92/93 teams are where I go to as a measuring stick.  Unfortunately these days, players are not around long enough to get that payoff.  Cody, Vic, and Yogi for another year or two could have made the noise necessary to go down as an all time great group, you just don't see teams with that kind of talent stick together that long anymore.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well, I hope it's not half the guys.  There's something to be said for continuity.  That being said if some of IU's brick layers moved on, I wouldn't be too brokenhearted.  Better shooting would certainly help this team.

I would not be surprised if it is 5 or 6 guys.  Pretty close to half.  Lander, Durr, and Stewart appear to be gone.  I will be surprised if both Race and TJD return.  Don't want to get in the name game too much but there are at least 2 more guys who it would not surprise me.

35 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

With Durr leaving, I would like to see us take a shot at the Sparks kid.  Still a young guy so he would have time to develop.  With Woodson's rotations, we need about 10 guys who can really play.

We definitely need replacement for Durr.  Hopefully someone with more upside.  Also need Duncomb to be ready to provide some productive minutes if he stays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

We definitely need replacement for Durr.  Hopefully someone with more upside.  Also need Duncomb to be ready to provide some productive minutes if he stays.

Again, just passing on info, but rumor from another board is that he (Duncomb) is probably not going to be back either.

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Seriously not a fan of the offense with Race and TJD out there.  Race needs to be a backup and JG needs to start at the four.  Doesn’t work with both of them out there.  Haven’t been a fan of the offense all season as I think it is very stagnant with two bigs who can’t shoot. 

The offense didnt work because we HAD NO SHOOTERS. Not because of Race and TJD. Think about all the kick outs to wide open shooters to have them only miss.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The offense didnt work because we HAD NO SHOOTERS. Not because of Race and TJD. Think about all the kick outs to wide open shooters to have them only miss.

Race and Trayce together is a big part of the problem. We need a 4 that can shoot from deep and create off the dribble. Race can do neither. He is a smaller back to the basket player who clogs the lane because defenses know he is only a threat inside. That makes it harder for X, Bates or any other guard trying to create and score or create and dish. Defensively Race has issues guarding on the perimeter. It's time to give JG the four spot. Also, for those thinking it, JG isn't a skilled enough handler to be the 3. Maybe he makes remarkable progress this summer, but as of now he isn't a good enough shooter or dribble to play at the 3. He's decent enough now for the 4, and has more potential at the 4, which is why he played so many significant minutes over Race in the BTT and NCAA tournament. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PNWHoosier said:

Race and Trayce together is a big part of the problem. We need a 4 that can shoot from deep and create off the dribble. Race can do neither. He is a smaller back to the basket player who clogs the lane because defenses know he is only a threat inside. That makes it harder for X, Bates or any other guard trying to create and score or create and dish. Defensively Race has issues guarding on the perimeter. It's time to give JG the four spot. Also, for those thinking it, JG isn't a skilled enough handler to be the 3. Maybe he makes remarkable progress this summer, but as of now he isn't a good enough shooter or dribble to play at the 3. He's decent enough now for the 4, and has more potential at the 4, which is why he played so many significant minutes over Race in the BTT and NCAA tournament. 

He can shoot it from deep fine. He showed that in the last 15 games. 

Him showing that will open up the opportunity to drive much more. That's the next step in his game. 

I think you're 100% right that our 4 has to be way more of a factor then scoring off putbacks and post ups. 

17 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

Not every player fits the 1 2 3 4 5 mold. 

• Like 2