Did anyone miss the fact that pee yew lost another Championship Game ?

I graduated from Purdue (IPFW) with an engineering degree, and my daughter is a 2nd year engineering student at West Lafayette.  My son is likely to attend Purdue as well.

I am a lifelong IU basketball fan....However I must admit that I attended the IU-Purdue game at Mackey last year.  I bought a Purdue hat and shirt since I was sitting in the student section.  

The game was a crazy atmosphere so I see why it is so hard to win against good teams on the road.

The only team I really hate is Kentucky.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Sagamore said:

I graduated from Purdue (IPFW) with an engineering degree, and my daughter is a 2nd year engineering student at West Lafayette.  My son is likely to attend Purdue as well.

I am a lifelong IU basketball fan....However I must admit that I attended the IU-Purdue game at Mackey last year.  I bought a Purdue hat and shirt since I was sitting in the student section.  

The game was a crazy atmosphere so I see why it is so hard to win against good teams on the road.

The only team I really hate is Kentucky.

Man that's borderline blasphemy......

i have never been able to understand when anyone can cheer for both IU and Purdue.  just never could understand that.  i would literally cheer for any team anywhere over Purdue unless it really really helped IU to finish higher in the conference or something like that, but even then i could never actually cheer for Purdue.

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have never been able to understand when anyone can cheer for both IU and Purdue.  just never could understand that.  i would literally cheer for any team anywhere over Purdue unless it really really helped IU to finish higher in the conference or something like that, but even then i could never actually cheer for Purdue.

Because some of us have ties to both schools?

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Totally agree with that even if your child attends the college does not mean you have to support the sports programs.

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If my son signed an athletic scholarship to play a sport at Purdue........well, he wouldn't be my son.

on a serious note, of course i'd let my son attend Purdue if it were his best option.  if he were playing a sport there, i would cheer for him and that sport only.  other than that, i would keep the hate right on flowin.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:58 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

I'll make this extremely simple for you. Painter took HIS OWN TEAM to the games because it helps them develop further for this upcoming season. Why on Earth would he take random players from teams across the country? That doesn't help his own team. He gets paid to win at Purdue not for team USA at the World University Games. This isn't difficult to understand. At least it shouldn't be. 

Pork Chop should have had the patriotic goal of putting the best team possible on the court.  IMO, it was pretty damn selfish of him not to add several players that would enable us to win.  PUke never wins a tournament, you know that!

6 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

Pork Chop should have had the patriotic goal of putting the best team possible on the court.  IMO, it was pretty damn selfish of him not to add several players that would enable us to win.  PUke never wins a tournament, you know that!

Painter did what USA basketball says.  And you better look up 1974.  When the NIT meant something.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Painter did what USA basketball says.  And you better look up 1974.  When the NIT meant something.

Self added a player,  Nic Moore,  to the last WUG representative in order to help his chances to win.  Kansas had a much superior team to pu,  and Self added to the team.  Did USA Basketball decide now that getting better players would not be allowed?  I would be surprised if that is the case.  Stlboiler23 wrote that Painter wanted his team only, in order to prepare for the coming season. 

"Why on Earth would he take random players from across the  country?  That doesn't help his own team.  he gets paid to win at Purdue,  not for team USA at the World University Games."  - that is a quote from StlBoiler23 on this thread.  

Oh, and you are right, PU did win an NIT 43 years ago.  That also means means that PU did not make the NCAA tournament that year, of 25 teams.   The CCA tournament, which the NCAA required 8 runnerup conference teams to participate in was won by Indiana University!  The rest of the teams that did not qualify for the NCAA or CCA tourneys were eligible for the NIT.    IMO pu's NIT was the equivalent of, at best, a Sweet 16.   Remember, pu did not qualify  for either the NCAA or the CCA tourney, which was a step above the NIT. 

1 minute ago, jimmygoiu said:

Self added a player,  Nic Moore,  to the last WUG representative in order to help his chances to win.  Kansas had a much superior team to pu,  and Self added to the team.  Did USA Basketball decide now that getting better players would not be allowed?  I would be surprised if that is the case.  Stlboiler23 wrote that Painter wanted his team only, in order to prepare for the coming season. 

"Why on Earth would he take random players from across the  country?  That doesn't help his own team.  he gets paid to win at Purdue,  not for team USA at the World University Games."  - that is a quote from StlBoiler23 on this thread.  

Oh, and you are right, PU did win an NIT 43 years ago.  That also means means that PU did not make the NCAA tournament that year, of 25 teams.   The CCA tournament, which the NCAA required 8 runnerup conference teams to participate in was won by Indiana University!  The rest of the teams that did not qualify for the NCAA or CCA tourneys were eligible for the NIT.    IMO pu's NIT was the equivalent of, at best, a Sweet 16.   Remember, pu did not qualify  for either the NCAA or the CCA tourney, which was a step above the NIT. 

Self added two players because he had two players from his own squad that couldn't go.  And you said Purdue doesn't win any tournaments.  That NIT meant something back then.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

Self added two players because he had two players from his own squad that couldn't go.  And you said Purdue doesn't win any tournaments.  That NIT meant something back then.

What does it mean?  33 teams were picked ahead of them to better tournaments, the NCAA and CCA.  I guess winning one tournament in the 78  years since the start of the NCAA tournament,  even a minor one, makes you happy.  So be it. 

47 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

He took Moore because it was a favor to Larry Brown since they're good friends and he took him because he had some of his own players who couldn't play. Painter did what every other coach in that situation would do. 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I post on several boards and enjoy discussing basketball here. What's wrong with that?

Nothing at all wrong with it.  The IU boards are much more trafficked and multiple times as many posts as the Purdue board.   Purdue has blocked numerous IU posters since the NCAA loss last year.  Why is that?   PU board would be much more interesting if they allowed others to voice opinions, as you are allowed on the IU boards.  

39 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

What does it mean?  33 teams were picked ahead of them to better tournaments, the NCAA and CCA.  I guess winning one tournament in the 78  years since the start of the NCAA tournament,  even a minor one, makes you happy.  So be it. 

So IU beating Tennessee, Toledo, and Southern California means alot?  The school picked that tourney, Knight wanted to go to the NIT.  BTW.......the Boilers played North Carolina in the first round of the NIT in '74.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

So IU beating Tennessee, Toledo, and Southern California means alot?  The school picked that tourney, Knight wanted to go to the NIT.  BTW.......the Boilers played North Carolina in the first round of the NIT in '74.

The NCAA required IU, as the second place finisher in the Big Ten, to play in the tournament.   IU did not choose to go to the CCA tourney, it was REQUIRED to by the NCAA, as the NCAA was allegedly trying to "kill" the NIT as they had no control over it at the time.  IU winning the tourney does not mean "alot" to me, but it was a superior tournament than the NIT in 1974.  All 8 teams in the tourney were runnersup in their conferences.  Purdue went to the NIT as they finished below Indiana.  

The CCA tourney was held for only one more year, as the NCAA allowed multiple teams from the same conference to play in the NCAA tournament.  Remember, IU beat Michigan in 1976 to win it all. 

North Carolina finished 3rd in the ACC in a tie breaker.  The other teams that the Broilees beat were Hawaii, Jacksonville and Utah.   meh

1 hour ago, jimmygoiu said:

Nothing at all wrong with it.  The IU boards are much more trafficked and multiple times as many posts as the Purdue board.   Purdue has blocked numerous IU posters since the NCAA loss last year.  Why is that?   PU board would be much more interesting if they allowed others to voice opinions, as you are allowed on the IU boards.  

I don't run the site so I couldn't tell you why. I wish they didn't ban so easily. 

39 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

The NCAA required IU, as the second place finisher in the Big Ten, to play in the tournament.   IU did not choose to go to the CCA tourney, it was REQUIRED to by the NCAA, as the NCAA was allegedly trying to "kill" the NIT as they had no control over it at the time.  IU winning the tourney does not mean "alot" to me, but it was a superior tournament than the NIT in 1974.  All 8 teams in the tourney were runnersup in their conferences.  Purdue went to the NIT as they finished below Indiana.  

The CCA tourney was held for only one more year, as the NCAA allowed multiple teams from the same conference to play in the NCAA tournament.  Remember, IU beat Michigan in 1976 to win it all. 

North Carolina finished 3rd in the ACC in a tie breaker.  The other teams that the Broilees beat were Hawaii, Jacksonville and Utah.   meh

Keep up the google searching......I was alive in that day and age.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

Keep up the google searching......I was alive in that day and age.  

Me too, and I am glad to provide you some facts that you were unaware of.  I had the good fortune of attending the IU - Michigan games in '75,'76 and '77.  I still think Ricky Green is one of the quickest and fastest players ever.   What a difference between the '77 Hoosiers and the 2 previous years.  Graduation and transfers really hurt that team in '77.   

10 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

Me too, and I am glad to provide you some facts that you were unaware of.  I had the good fortune of attending the IU - Michigan games in '75,'76 and '77.  I still think Ricky Green is one of the quickest and fastest players ever.   What a difference between the '77 Hoosiers and the 2 previous years.  Graduation and transfers really hurt that team in '77.   

You didn't provide me any facts.

Archived