2023 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Hope he develops HotRod's 3 point shooting. When he got on a roll as an upperclassmen, it seemed like every shot was going in. 

Yep. Shot like poop early on though! The athleticism and the "get after it" was always there though, right!? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't know where to put this but it's something I have been noticing about who we target.....Have you been noticing that Woody is targeting guys who love basketball and have big motors?  He's after tenacious guys who are competitive.  Music to my ears.

It's not surprising, not just because of who Woody played for in college.  He played freaking hard and was competitive.  It's huge at this level.  You put a whole team together where everyone is like that, and synergy forms and you become tough to beat even when you are off that night.  Couple that with his emphasis on length and rangy athletes with quickness and we may have quite a look in coming years.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

On 6/3/2022 at 2:37 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn't know where to put this but it's something I have been noticing about who we target.....Have you been noticing that Woody is targeting guys who love basketball and have big motors?  He's after tenacious guys who are competitive.  Music to my ears.

It's not surprising, not just because of who Woody played for in college.  He played freaking hard and was competitive.  It's huge at this level.  You put a whole team together where everyone is like that, and synergy forms and you become tough to beat even when you are off that night.  Couple that with his emphasis on length and rangy athletes with quickness and we may have quite a look in coming years.

That's an interesting observation/interpretation.  If it is accurate, I fully approve.  I believe that is a far superior approach versus where a kid is from or goes to school or sits in the rankings.

On an unrelated note, I was looking at the rivals list and saw Edgerrin James, Jr.  The kid looks like his pop (minus the "grille").  6'-1" guard. 

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

Doesn't surprise me, either. Partially for the reasons you state but also because of an interview I saw with Rosemond around the time he was hired. I don't remember exactly what was said but he basically said that it was important to evaluate recruits on more than just talent. Personality, motivation, and things like that are just as, if not more, important than just talent. He was saying they needed to watch not just how the kids did on the court but how they acted during timeouts in the huddle, how they responded to adversity, and things of that nature.

So targeting players who love basketball and play hard all the time seems to line up with what he looks for in recruits, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 10:45 AM, Reacher said:

From your article, 6'8" TJ Power averaged 30 points 10 rebounds over 4 games, and shot 51% from three.  Imagine how many problems would be solved if Indiana had a couple shooters like that. 

Thanks for posting, @Reacher

• Like 5

On 7/12/2022 at 11:17 AM, Madison22 said:

From your article, 6'8" TJ Power averaged 30 points 10 rebounds over 4 games, and shot 51% from three.  Imagine how many problems would be solved if Indiana had a couple shooters like that. 

Thanks for posting, @Reacher

More on TJ and other recruit visits from @The Daily Hoosierhttps://www.thedailyhoosier.com/multiple-23-and-24-iu-basketball-targets-want-to-visit-bloomington-according-to-reports/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

The impression I’m getting is we are all in on TJ Power

On3.com recruiting lists an 88% chance for either Virginia, Notre Dame, or Iowa in that order.

A less than 1% chance each for schools like Duke, North Carolina, and Indiana.

I don't know how valid any of that is, or how recent.

https://www.on3.com/db/tj-power-113134/recruiting/121508/interests/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

On3.com recruiting lists an 88% chance for either Virginia, Notre Dame, or Iowa in that order.

A less than 1% chance each for schools like Duke, North Carolina, and Indiana.

I don't know how valid any of that is, or how recent.

https://www.on3.com/db/tj-power-113134/recruiting/121508/interests/

He’s the most unlikely of the 3 I mentioned, but we did have the whole staff at his games. So they haven’t given up 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

He’s the most unlikely of the 3 I mentioned, but we did have the whole staff at his games. So they haven’t given up 

What I really like about this coaching staff's approach to recruiting is that they aren't timid and don't back down. They have players they want and go after them hard even if they have an outside chance of landing them. It's already paid off by landing Reneau. I don't think anyone thought IU had a chance when he decommitted. This is a much different approach to recruiting than IU has had for a long time.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I will put this here. Hearing that the staff feels very good that the next commitment will happen before classes start in August. I have some good ideas but need more info. If I get anything I will share and hopefully someone else out there will provide more intel

Page?

• Like 3