2023 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

So summing up 2023...

We already have Cupps and Newton committed...

By my count, we'll have 4 scholarships available (TJD, Race, XJ, and Kopp leaving)

So that leaves 2 open...

If Page commits, does that take us out of the Booker sweepstakes?

And from what I've read on here, most would prefer Kaiser over Harris-Smith, correct?

Or will we play the "oversign" game (I hope not)... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

IMO, Harris Smith would be the back up choice for Kaiser. You would think Booker would be a priority and he'll have a spot if he wants one. Taking Page makes me think odds aren't as high for Booker. We would have Logan at C with Banks, Newton, Kaiser? and Page? then. If we oversign, I'd have to believe coaches know someone is likely not to be back- whether a transfer or early departure to the NBA. If JHS, is doing that well, maybe he leaves and Harris Smith takes his spot?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So summing up 2023...

By my count, we'll have 4 scholarships available (TJD, Race, XJ, and Kopp leaving)

So that leaves 2 open...

And from what I've read on here, most would prefer Kaiser over Harris-Smith, correct?

We are out of Booker sweepstakes already.

15 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

TJD won’t be a high draft pick….

NIL 💰 and a masters degree?

Geez, what is this? Clairvoyant Day?

First sentence remains to be seen...

That said, I don't think there's any way Trayce is coming back to play for IU next year... 

On 7/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, IUFLA said:

So summing up 2023...

So that leaves 2 open...

We will have a transfer or two….and that doesn’t mean that is bad…just the new way things work. Don’t think we will ever see a year where we don’t have some transfers…the portal has just changed the game that much. Question will simply be who goes….but someone will.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We will have a transfer or two….and that doesn’t mean that is bad…just the new way things work. Don’t think we will ever see a year where we don’t have some transfers…the portal has just changed the game that much. Question will simply be who goes….but someone will.

But by oversigning you change transfers from a possibility or probability, to an inevitability, no?

That's what I'm a bit uncomfortable with. If no one beyond the 4 that graduate wants to go, then you're looking at booting kids who want to be at IU, and have put work in to help the program...

And I think we all know the kids we're talking about... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But by oversigning you change transfers from a possibility or probability, to an inevitability, no?

That's what I'm a bit uncomfortable with. If no one beyond the 4 that graduate wants to go, then you're looking at booting kids who want to be at IU, and have put work in to help the program...

And I think we all know the kids we're talking about... 

I don't like it when done to extremes.  (6 guys for 3 spots)

However- if basically got 4 commitments from lets say Cupps, Newton, Kaiser, and Page, would we accept a late commitment from Booker?  I think we all know the answer to that.  

Edited by Blazin Hazin
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I don't like it when done to extremes.  (6 guys for 3 spots)

However- if we basically got 4 commitments from lets say Cupps, Newton, Kaiser, and Page, would we accpept a late commitment from Booker?  I think we all know the answer to that.  

I understand what you're saying, just not comfortable with it...

But, in Woody I Trust... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand what you're saying, just not comfortable with it...

But, in Woody I Trust... 

agree…shouldn’t be the normal way of doing things nor do I like it.  I also like to have a spot open for a portal guy too…but I think it’s an inevitability. 13 kids and 3-4 not playing…someone is going to want to find playing time elsewhere.

• Like 2