Where were you 35 years ago yesterday?

I was 9. I was sitting in the living room on a dining room chair as close to the TV as I could be. Me and my dad had always watched IU together, but this night he had taken my sister somewhere and was not there. If I listen closely I can still hear my heart pounding. I may or may not have knocked over the chair when I came up out of it when the shot went in. 

• Like 2

Watching in our fraternity. When the shot went down, I sprinted all the way to Showalter Fountain, and spent the next hour or two trying to get to the top (and succeeded for a bit). After that, down to Kirkwood for a bit, then I came back to the house and crashed on the floor ... for about ten minutes. Phone rang, and my buddy who was at Notre Dame informed me that a carload of them were on their way. Back to Kirkwood, and the rest was kind of a whirlwind of activity. I remember being very angry that classes weren't cancelled the next day, but I didn't go to bed until the next night, anyway.

Highly recommend the experience if you ever get the chance!

• Like 2

Brace yourselves HSN...I was in 3rd grade and rooting for...Syracuse!

I was an East Coast kid and was literally about a month or two away from finding out my family was moving to Indiana. We made the move that August. 

I loved Derrick Coleman, Stevie Thompson and Sherman Douglas. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Negative 3 here!

I loved seeing Smart make a play. Broken play, he saw an opportunity and capitalized. No fear!

One of the things I liked also is the reaction from the Coaches and some of the players like ok no big deal now we have to defend for a couple seconds. I would have been running into the stands or something stupid if I were the coach

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

One of the things I liked also is the reaction from the Coaches and some of the players like ok no big deal now we have to defend for a couple seconds. I would have been running into the stands or something stupid if I were the coach

Haha I thought about mentioning that. I thought it was... no one had any clue what the time was. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Brace yourselves HSN...I was in 3rd grade and rooting for...Syracuse!

I was an East Coast kid and was literally about a month or two away from finding out my family was moving to Indiana. We made the move that August. 

I loved Derrick Coleman, Stevie Thompson and Sherman Douglas. 

Just took a little longer to see the light. At that age I thought Syracuse was evil because they played Zone that was sacreligous in Indiana 

• Like 1

I was 19, a freshman at IU. I was watching it with my, then girlfriend, in the lobby at Reed. There were tons of students down there watching that game. As soon as Smart’s shot went down, the entire place went nuts and we started gang rushing the doors for  Showalter Fountain and then on to Kirkwood! It was absolutely insane!!!!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Haha I thought about mentioning that. I thought it was... no one had any clue what the time was. 

When we won our 1st sectional championship as a coach we were up 20 and I couldn't wait to celebrate it had been 23 years since the school had won 1 I can't imagine a game winner. I would have been JImmy V on speed

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was a 13 year old 8th grader watching on a small TV in my room and when the shot went down I don't think I could have jumped higher screamed louder or have been any more excited. 1 of my all time favorite moments as a kid for sure. 

I was 16 years old and watching the game in our front room.  When Keith hit the shot I fell backwards and hit my head on an exercise bike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was 14 watching the game with my folks. I remember it vividly. I was wearing a pair of jeans that had a hole in one knee. When that shot went down I ripped the leg of my jeans completely off. I turned around to look at my mom fully expecting to get a lecture about ruining my clothes but she was too busy grabbing a mop and doing her best Martha impression. Good times!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I also have a picture on my wall of the shot and seeing the the guys on the bench just jump up for joy is a cool thing.

I had Steve Alford autograph that pic for me and he said wouldn't you rather have Keith sign it. 2 weeks later in the mail I got a pic that Steve had sent to Keith and he signed it and mailed it to Steve who them took the time to send it back to me. At that time Steve was at Iowa. A few years later I reached out by email to say hi to Steve and told him I would see him at the Coaches clinic in Indy. He brought a signed ball from the entire team and gave it to me at the clinic. Years later he sent an autographed ball and some tix to be auctioned off for a benefit we had for Ayden when we first got the diagnosis.  You can see why I have a hard time saying anything bad about Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joe Hillman replying after the game about the play and his commentary. "Bucket, just Bucket"   Short and sweet to explain one of the greatest shots in IU history. Smart took over the game in the last 5 minutes. As amazing as "the shot" was, some of the plays down the stretch were impressive. He contorted his body for shots which just amazed me.

Edited by Iuprof
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

Joe Hillman replying after the game about the play and his commentary. "Bucket, just Bucket"   Short and sweet to explain one of the greatest shots in IU history. Smart took over the game in the last 5 minutes. As amazing as "the shot" was, some of the plays down the stretch were impressive. He contorted his body for shots which just amazed me.

Ricky Calloway saying he was going to give Keith the biggest kiss he has ever gotten.