Where were you 35 years ago yesterday?

I was a senior at IUS.  So, I was watching with my brother in mom's living room.  I remember kneeling on the floor as the last possession started and then doing some crazy jump to my feet when the shot went in.  

I also remember one of my professors announcing the previous week that we would have class Monday night even if IU was playing.

I misheard when he said 'We'.  Thought he said 'He'.  :coffee:

I was in 3rd grade watching at home with Dad and Mom. We had a huge snowstorm that night. Our power went out just as the shot was going in. We scrambled for a radio to hear the end. 

Little Keet is in 3rd grade this year. I was playing catch with him yesterday thinking how when I was his age I was experiencing a national championship and the best he has is a play in game win. It hasn’t affected his fandom though. He bleeds cream and crimson just like I did at that age. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Watching in our fraternity. When the shot went down, I sprinted all the way to Showalter Fountain, and spent the next hour or two trying to get to the top (and succeeded for a bit). After that, down to Kirkwood for a bit, then I came back to the house and crashed on the floor ... for about ten minutes. Phone rang, and my buddy who was at Notre Dame informed me that a carload of them were on their way. Back to Kirkwood, and the rest was kind of a whirlwind of activity. I remember being very angry that classes weren't cancelled the next day, but I didn't go to bed until the next night, anyway.

Highly recommend the experience if you ever get the chance!

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I was 19, a freshman at IU. I was watching it with my, then girlfriend, in the lobby at Reed. There were tons of students down there watching that game. As soon as Smart’s shot went down, the entire place went nuts and we started gang rushing the doors for  Showalter Fountain and then on to Kirkwood! It was absolutely insane!!!!

I was a freshman at IU as well. I do remember spending some time at Showalter. I remember some guy carrying a keg around down there. Was that you @AxnJxn?

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was a freshman at IU as well. I do remember spending some time at Showalter. I remember some guy carrying a keg around down there. Was that you @AxnJxn?

Not me…..I was one of those guys trying to figure out how I could get up on one those light poles….🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Haha 1

The origin of the curse of me watching IU basketball.  I was in the lounge in the barracks in Rota, Spain watching with my roommate. He was from upstate NY (but a UNC Tarheel fan) and cheering on Syracuse. I couldn't bear to see IU lose so I went back to my room late in the game and listened on Armed Forces Radio so I didn't see the shot but went back to watch the celebration. I figured me not watching helped them win so to this day I don't watch unless IU is way ahead. I have occasionally started watching an early season cupcake game but the Hoosiers always seem to struggle until I quit watching, at which time they'll go on a run.

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

1987 was the first year for One Shining Moment.  Could not have asked for a better script in which to initiate the song. 

It debuting after an IU win created a love for that song that I still have today.

I wish they would go back to the original version just like I wish CBS would go back to the theme songs from the 90's

I was 12. In the family room with my sister. We had lost our Mom the prior year and IU hoops was a happy thing for us to enjoy. My Dad spent the entire 2nd half on the phone (while watching game) with our relatives back here in Indy on speaker phone because they were all big IU fans too. Still to this date the highest I know I ever jumped was when The Shot went in.

Here's another funny clip about what people were doing on that night. Only about 4 minutes but Mellencamp was in Sweden doing the same speaker phone thing. Haha. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 4

I was a middle age man,36, and had 2 small children. For me, when people ask what is IUs best game winning shot, this is the one. It was for all the marbles, and more important than Watfords shot against pUKe!

And of course I am fortunate to have the other 2 championships as well. Something I wish my kids and the younger generation can experience.

• Like 3

…..any of you guys (old fellers) who were lucky enough to be on campus in Bloomington, that monumental night in 1987 would have witnessed pure pandemonium!!!! Not only were students climbing in and all over the Showalter Fountain, but the fish were all removed too! They were climbing up on the light poles, tree and anything they could pile up on. After that, we all “took” Kirkwood!🤣 Again, every light pole had a student at the top, a sofa was ablaze in the middle of Kirkwood and a Chevy El Camino was pushed over on it’s side in the street across from Nick’s…. Here are a few picks of that historic night at the Showalter Fountain. I couldn’t find any from Kirkwood…

Absolutely NUTS!!!

5406FDDB-83E8-4C66-BF98-333D665F699F.jpeg

D3E59316-B5C5-4164-B28A-DE0D7EF308BB.jpeg

DE704282-2A02-4F40-8D59-DDEFB65E1371.jpeg
I was right in this mess! I literally looked through all of these pics to see if I was actually in one!!!😂😂

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

I carried a lot of kegs as a pledge, but wasn’t carrying that particular one. I do remember seeing a car flipped over and a couch on fire. People do some weird stuff when they celebrate. Showalter was one big mass of humanity playing king of the mountain to get to the top. I made it once or twice, but got dragged back down pretty quickly. 

Someone stole a couple of those mermaids or fish or whatever from there, too … apparently, they weighed a couple hundred pounds each, so pretty impressive. I think they were returned at a later date. 

• Like 1

These words will forever reverberate in my head...

Musburger: "Smart takes the shot..."

Packer: "Arrrrgh"

Musburger: "And with 3 seconds left...the Hoosiers take the lead!"

Packer: "Nobody stopped the clock! Nobody stopped the clock!"

In my living room, in a crappy little 2 bedroom mobile home in Shiloh, Illinois, my wife coming out of our kids bedroom sushing me...

"He hit the shot!"

"You wake those girls up I'LL hit the shot." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

…..any of you guys (old fellers) who were lucky enough to be on campus in Bloomington, that monumental night in 1987 would have witnessed pure pandemonium!!!! Not only were students climbing in and all over the Showalter Fountain, but the fish were all removed too! They were climbing up on the light poles, tree and anything they could pile up on. After that, we all “took” Kirkwood!🤣 Again, every light pole had a student at the top, a sofa was ablaze in the middle of Kirkwood and a Chevy El Camino was pushed over on it’s side in the street across from Nick’s…. Here are a few picks of that historic night at the Showalter Fountain. I couldn’t find any from Kirkwood…

Absolutely NUTS!!!

5406FDDB-83E8-4C66-BF98-333D665F699F.jpeg

D3E59316-B5C5-4164-B28A-DE0D7EF308BB.jpeg

DE704282-2A02-4F40-8D59-DDEFB65E1371.jpeg
I was right in this mess! I literally looked through all of these pics to see if I was actually in one!!!😂😂

I see you B... not changed 1 bit

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I carried a lot of kegs as a pledge, but wasn’t carrying that particular one. I do remember seeing a car flipped over and a couch on fire. People do some weird stuff when they celebrate. Showalter was one big mass of humanity playing king of the mountain to get to the top. I made it once or twice, but got dragged back down pretty quickly. 

Someone stole a couple of those mermaids or fish or whatever from there, too … apparently, they weighed a couple hundred pounds each, so pretty impressive. I think they were returned at a later date. 

Yep, true story. The small fish surrounding the large naked lady in the center were all removed and/or stolen, but eventually returned. Looking back at those photos, makes your appreciate having a cell phone now days. There were no cellphones or digital cameras in those days….🤓

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

These words will forever reverberate in my head...

Musburger: "Smart takes the shot..."

Packer: "Arrrrgh"

Musburger: "And with 3 seconds left...the Hoosiers take to he lead!"

Packer: "Nobody stopped the clock! Nobody stopped the clock!"

In my living room, in a crappy little 2 bedroom mobile home in Shiloh, Illinois, my wife coming out of our kids bedroom sushing me...

"He hit the shot!"

"You wake those girls up I'LL hit the shot." 

With the exception of maybe the Canes running it up on Faust and hearing the announcers cry foul....it was one of the first times I remember asking why is the announcer sounding like he's cheering for the other team. Packer was disappointed...almost ticked Cuse let the seconds run off. Haha.

• Like 1