Where were you 35 years ago yesterday?

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Brace yourselves HSN...I was in 3rd grade and rooting for...Syracuse!

I was an East Coast kid and was literally about a month or two away from finding out my family was moving to Indiana. We made the move that August. 

I loved Derrick Coleman, Stevie Thompson and Sherman Douglas. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

With the exception of maybe the Canes running it up on Faust and hearing the announcers cry foul....it was one of the first times I remember asking why is the announcer sounding like he's cheering for the other team. Packer was disappointed...almost ticked Cuse let the seconds run off. Haha.

Packer went even further, trying to dream up ways Syracuse could snatch the chestnuts from the fire...he babbled about some Billy Tubbs play, and then about setting a screen on the baseline to draw a charge...

Christ, I thought he was gonna run over to the Syracuse huddle and knock Boeheim out of the way...

• Like 2

I was 15 years old. And that was my first season as an IU fan. 

I was not raised an IU guy, I did not even discover basketball until I moved from Chicago to Kentucky when I was 12.

My best friend and his family were from Evansville and die hard fans, I jumped on the bandwagon and never got off.

This was where it all began fore!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I was 15 years old. And that was my first season as an IU fan. 

I was not raised an IU guy, I did not even discover basketball until I moved from Chicago to Kentucky when I was 12.

My best friend and his family were from Evansville and die hard fans, I jumped on the bandwagon and never got off.

This was where it all began fore!

Every college basketball fan needs to Google Evansville Basketball. When that plane went down the music died.

• Like 1

I was 10 years old and watched the game with my dad in the living room. He was grumpy and cursing a lot during the game, lol. I never really had seen him get like that before. 

It was exciting but I was young enough I just assume IU was supposed to win and that they would keep winning championships every year after that, lol.

We had recorded the game on our VCR and my uncle came over that following weekend and we all rewatched the entire game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Kinda funny though….That night, when I saw a guy carrying a keg, I thought to myself, “ What good is that keg without it being tapped and a pump?” 🤣🤣🤣

I think one of them had a tap on it. I think I took a hit from it. Don't recall a whole lot from after the game. 

• Haha 1

I graduated in 86 and the years between graduation and joining the military are “my lost years.” Was a singer in a (very) local band, and spent pretty much every night partying until 3am. My first IU season was the 76 team and had never missed a game up until 85 or 86, when other interests started taking over.

I was at a party at some random person’s house when I realized this game was on. People were crowded around the TV yelling, and I don’t think I even realized it was the championship game at the time. I stood there transfixed as the clock ticked down, slowly realizing this was the championship. We all lost our sh*t when the shot went in. 

The next season I was back in my rightful place in front of the TV for every IU game. 

• Like 6