Nijel Pack

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Seems to be Purdue bound, hope it’s all not true.  Would love to have him

Pack visiting Purdue doesn't mean he's for sure going there. I think the Purdue people are excited and getting a little ahead of themselves, as our own fans have done countless times. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue makes a ton of sense. Immediate starting position and green light to run the team. Purdue is hurting at PG.

This is exactly what scares me.  He can watch video of Ivey and see what he will be able to do.  Who is he going to watch at IU from a guard standpoint??  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hawks and Knicks film? That's his goal, right, the NBA?

Besides Ivey probably playing in the NBA who else from Purdue is currently playing in the NBA and or has an NBA contract. I don't think any Purdue product has an NBA contract right now. Not saying Painter can't develop NBA talent but I agree Pack might consider CMW for his NBA experience.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is exactly what scares me.  He can watch video of Ivey and see what he will be able to do.  Who is he going to watch at IU from a guard standpoint??  

We probably have a thousdand hours of video of missed wide open threes this year alone....show him that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Pack visiting Purdue doesn't mean he's for sure going there. I think the Purdue people are excited and getting a little ahead of themselves, as our own fans have done countless times. 

No idea what our chances are, but I do know Painter and Brantley recruited him pretty hard in high school as well, plus he played with Ivey and Furst in AAU. With Hunter, Ivey and Sasha gone, minutes are there for the taking. 

Wouldn't he have more of a Carsen Edwards type role?  Scoring small point guard?

Is he really what this version of Hoosiers is in desperate need of?  Ill gladly take a dude that can make shots and he would probably be a plus to the team but there are going to be equally as big of fish in this portal pool.  

Today is literally April 1st.  There will be about another 1000 added to the portal in the next 4 weeks as semester ends.  

I won't cry and moan about it as an unrecoverable loss as we know about 5+ on here will.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wouldn't he have more of a Carsen Edwards type role?  Scoring small point guard?

Is he really what this version of Hoosiers is in desperate need of?  Ill gladly take a dude that can make shots and he would probably be a plus to the team but there are going to be equally as big of fish in this portal pool.  

Today is literally April 1st.  There will be about another 1000 added to the portal in the next 4 weeks as semester ends.  

I won't cry and moan about it as an unrecoverable loss as we know about 5+ on here will.  

I wouldn't say its a desperate need but it certainly is something we need. I'll gladly take 17ppg and 42% from three. Now those numbers will more than likely not just copy and paste right over to the B10, but we need guard depth. Rn the only true PG we have for next year is Xavier, not counting JHS because I feel like he will play 1/2. But when you look at Kansas they went and got Remy Martin and granted Martin is probably a better player but they are similar. Small PG who can shoot and score at high volume. Teams who make deep tournament runs have good guard depth and guys who can score with volume off the bench. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

No idea what our chances are, but I do know Painter and Brantley recruited him pretty hard in high school as well, plus he played with Ivey and Furst in AAU. With Hunter, Ivey and Sasha gone, minutes are there for the taking. 

He’s not better than Ivey, and he’s not coming to IU. We beat PU with Ivey, should have beaten them twice, we can beat them with him and Big Shot Rob. Bring it on!! 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

They also supposedly backed off him because they already had one small guard in IT, so I wouldn't really say they recruited him hard. In fact that is kind of an FU to him because of only being 6ft.

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Agree about Carsen Edwards. Edwards is 5’11, Pack is generously listed at 6’, but was 5’10 at LC. Edwards got drafted and is getting a G League paycheck. Not many 6’ or shorter players in the NBA. He would definitely have a green light at PU. In recent years, Painter has been willing to trade defense for more offense. Right or wrong, Pack just doesn’t seem to fit CMW’s vision of taller, longer perimeter players. 

I don’t think he’s coming to IU, but I do think if you're Woodson you have to sell this different. 

Sure, Purdue has the clearly open spot with most of their guards leaving. But, I'd sell him on the idea that he's already been in that situation and it didn't get him to the NBA. It didn't get him to the tournament. It got him to 14-17. 

What he needs to do now is play like he has but do it in a winning environment. Compete for a Big 10 title, make a deep march run, etc. 

Yes, we have a returning point guard and a top 20 combo guard coming so what! Davis and Love share a backcourt at UNC and they're playing this weekend. Guy, Jerome and the pg from UVA shared a backcourt and they won a National Title. Baylor had a loaded backcourt last season. 

Come do it different. Come be on the big stage. Yes, you might share ball handling duties, but you're going to do it for a winner where you'll shine on the big stage in an NBA environment. We're going to play an NBA style from my days coaching NBA All-Stars. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Just my 2 cents but the improvement of Xavier Johnson from November to March is what I'm showing. If anything Ivey regressed down the stretch where we played out best hoops of the year in BTT.

Or like others have said any number of NBA guards if the kid really needs video. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

He wants to be a point guard will not come to Indiana to play shooting guard.Will not waste time recruiting him.

I agree he's most likely not coming to IU. With that said, he wouldn't be a "shooting guard" at IU. I don’t even think that position really exists anymore. 

He'd be a guard in a 2-3 guard lineup. He'd have plenty of opportunities to have the ball in his hands. 

It's also kind of bad advice. He's not going to be a point guard in the NBA. Much like Carson Edward's. Edwards doesn't really play point guard. When he does get to play, he's off the ball and expected to hit open 3's. 

No NBA team is making Pack their point guard. He's a combo guard. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Well one thing is he will see player development. Just look at the improvement in Xavier from the start of the season to the end of it, he was a completely different player. Or for his NBA aspirations he can look at Trayce going from a possible undrafted free agent to a potential 1st round pick. Those are two players whose stock has risen tremendously under Coach Woodson in just one season.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree he's most likely not coming to IU. With that said, he wouldn't be a "shooting guard" at IU. I don’t even think that position really exists anymore. 

He'd be a guard in a 2-3 guard lineup. He'd have plenty of opportunities to have the ball in his hands. 

It's also kind of bad advice. He's not going to be a point guard in the NBA. Much like Carson Edward's. Edwards doesn't really play point guard. When he does get to play, he's off the ball and expected to hit open 3's. 

No NBA team is making Pack their point guard. He's a combo guard. 

Is there good reason to have concerns defensively if we add Pack? XJ is kind of an average height for a G, and we'd have both of them on the court for a significant part of the game. Matching up with the size of Rutger's guards, for example, could be difficult on the defensive end. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mkaser said:

I wouldn't say its a desperate need but it certainly is something we need. I'll gladly take 17ppg and 42% from three. Now those numbers will more than likely not just copy and paste right over to the B10, but we need guard depth. Rn the only true PG we have for next year is Xavier, not counting JHS because I feel like he will play 1/2. But when you look at Kansas they went and got Remy Martin and granted Martin is probably a better player but they are similar. Small PG who can shoot and score at high volume. Teams who make deep tournament runs have good guard depth and guys who can score with volume off the bench. 

Good post.  My broader points are, more really good dudes are going to hit the portal.  This one will have the perception of a miss because he's from Indy.  I would like him and he does fill a need.  I think of St. Peter's or Villanova.  5 guys on the floor, always looking to attack attack attack.  He would bring that along with XJ and JHS.  Our backcourt would be feared.  Probably a top 10 in the country.  Why wouldn't he want to be apart of that?  To regress under Painter?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Is there good reason to have concerns defensively if we add Pack? XJ is kind of an average height for a G, and we'd have both of them on the court for a significant part of the game. Matching up with the size of Rutger's guards, for example, could be difficult on the defensive end. 

Before the Hulls and Yogi police attack me I'll say this. Besides other factors in the Syracuse game....having 2 guards at 6'0 or less on the court at the same time creates problems on defense...especially against longer/taller more physical guards.

Not saying we can't have 1 but size is always a consideration for me ever since that game. I still think Pack is a strong Purdue lean. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I still think Pack is a strong Purdue lean. 

Sounds like they have been pulling a Kentucky if what some are saying about there being discussions for some time with him.

To be honest while he would be a nice get I don't think losing him would be that big of a deal. I am curious if IU has even reached out to him or if they even will.

• Like 2