Nijel Pack

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Before the Hulls and Yogi police attack me I'll say this. Besides other factors in the Syracuse game....having 2 guards at 6'0 or less on the court at the same time creates problems on defense...especially against longer/taller more physical guards.

Not saying we can't have 1 but size is always a consideration for me ever since that game. I still think Pack is a strong Purdue lean. 

You're forgetting Hulls & Yogi.  :coffee:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Before the Hulls and Yogi police attack me I'll say this. Besides other factors in the Syracuse game....having 2 guards at 6'0 or less on the court at the same time creates problems on defense...especially against longer/taller more physical guards.

Not saying we can't have 1 but size is always a consideration for me ever since that game. I still think Pack is a strong Purdue lean. 

Spot on:

First, it was Brandon Triche, getting to the rim with little regard for the 6-foot defender in front of him. Then, it was Michael Carter-Williams following the same formula, rising above his 6-foot defender for easy jump shots and finger rolls.

The Indiana backcourt tandem of Jordan Hulls and Yogi Ferrell had no answer for their 6-foot-4 and 6-foot-6 counterparts. And Syracuse exposed the mismatch time and again in its 61-50 win over top-seeded Indiana at the Verizon Center on Thursday night.

“Offensively we wanted our guards to go on their little guards,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “That was the best way to play offensively in this game.”

https://dailyorange.com/2013/03/carter-williams-triche-punish-smaller-indiana-guards-in-61-50-sweet-16-win/

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I hear what you're saying. I think the difference there is that Hulls was just a bad defender due to several factors (not effort) regardless of his height. Yogi as a freshmen wasn't a good defender regardless of his height. 

I don't know what kind of defender Pack is, but XJ is a solid defender. If Pack is solid on that end, then I'm not too concerned. 

Plus, assuming in this scenario TJD back then he helps alleviate a lot of that with his shot blocking. 

I just watched St. Peter's beat Purdue and Kentucky with basically a 3-guard lineup. 

Ultimately, I'd love to have a backcourt of 6'4" guys that can shoot, create and defend, but at the end of the day I'm tired of not having multiple playmakers, shot makers and creators. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying. I think the difference there is that Hulls was just a bad defender due to several factors (not effort) regardless of his height. Yogi as a freshmen wasn't a good defender regardless of his height. 

I don't know what kind of defender Pack is, but XJ is a solid defender. If Pack is solid on that end, then I'm not too concerned. 

Plus, assuming in this scenario TJD back then he helps alleviate a lot of that with his shot blocking. 

I just watched St. Peter's beat Purdue and Kentucky with basically a 3-guard lineup. 

Ultimately, I'd love to have a backcourt of 6'4" guys that can shoot, create and defend, but at the end of the day I'm tired of not having multiple playmakers, shot makers and creators. 

All day long. If a guy can shoot 40-45% from 3....I don't care if it's Gary Coleman sitting out on the wing. I just don't want 2 of them. Haha...

• Haha 5

I'm very tired of hearing about the Syracuse game, and there's no reason to use a loss from ten years ago as a guide for building our team going forward. The problem with the Syracuse game is that we've only once had a team that promising since, not that we lost to a top ten KenPom team in the Sweet Sixteen. We should shrug our shoulders and move on. The reason we as a fan base haven't is because there haven't been any other teams on which to pin our hopes for a Final Four.

Nijel Pack would be a tremendous addition. He's exactly the scoring punch we could have used last season, and a freshman JHS isn't going to solve that need on his own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Spot on:

First, it was Brandon Triche, getting to the rim with little regard for the 6-foot defender in front of him. Then, it was Michael Carter-Williams following the same formula, rising above his 6-foot defender for easy jump shots and finger rolls.

The Indiana backcourt tandem of Jordan Hulls and Yogi Ferrell had no answer for their 6-foot-4 and 6-foot-6 counterparts. And Syracuse exposed the mismatch time and again in its 61-50 win over top-seeded Indiana at the Verizon Center on Thursday night.

“Offensively we wanted our guards to go on their little guards,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “That was the best way to play offensively in this game.”

https://dailyorange.com/2013/03/carter-williams-triche-punish-smaller-indiana-guards-in-61-50-sweet-16-win/

But, if you lose a game 61-50 then defense wasn't really your problem. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I'm very tired of hearing about the Syracuse game, and there's no reason to use a loss from ten years ago as a guide for building our team going forward. The problem with the Syracuse game is that we've only once had a team that promising since, not that we lost to a top ten KenPom team in the Sweet Sixteen. We should shrug our shoulders and move on. The reason we as a fan base haven't is because there haven't been any other teams on which to pin our hopes for a Final Four.

Nijel Pack would be a tremendous addition. He's exactly the scoring punch we could have used last season, and a freshman JHS isn't going to solve that need on his own.

Nijel would be a phenomenal addition don't get me wrong. In the same regard though I will always learn from our past teams mistakes as a guide for building our team going forward. 

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I would prefer to say, "Freshman JHS shouldn't be counted on to solve that need on his own."

5 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Maybe Indiana is waiting for Woodson to get back from vacation before doing anything. JK

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I wonder if there will be a discussion of whether its the correct time for a head coach to take a vacation? :coffee:

Probably deserves its own thread  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

FWIW, Evan Miya has transfer portal rankings that rates every transfer on both offense and defense. No idea how accurate he is, but he has Pack rated very poorly on defense...The flip side is he has the 2nd highest rating on offense

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Spot on:

So we held Syracuse to 61 points, forced 14 turnovers and limited them to 43% FGs and are blaming our defense? We lost that game because our offense was atrocious. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So we held Syracuse to 61 points, forced 14 turnovers and limited them to 43% FGs and are blaming our defense? We lost that game because our offense was atrocious. 

Our two lottery picks played bad. Victor and Cody didn’t know what to do their length   Some of it could fall on bad game plan and not being prepared. Didn’t help that hulls was hurt and not effective at shooting

• Like 3