Matta back to Butler

Along with the Fife situation it appears to me that our AD feels like any "training wheels" are no longer necessary. This will be a Mike Woodson ship next year. More than year 1, year 2 will be a measuring stick of what CMW is and will be as the future of IU basketball. Without knowing what additions we will have via the portal and who is coming back there is definitely the possibility that we are a sub .500 team. There is also a chance that CMW could put a team of JHS, Bates, Galloway, Reneau and Thompson on the floor and show he has tremendous chops as the Captain of our ship. 

I remain guardedly skeptical until the roster is finalized. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

Is this already being discussed on another thread too? 

It is, but everything is now being discussed elsewhere under vague thread titles so you don't know what's going on at a glance.  You're expected to read through several days of posts or risk getting chirped at by someone saying "I beat you to it, I posted that yesterday, don't ever do this again."

But I'm sure if something important happened, like if an IU player got arrested, it would have its own thread. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

Along with the Fife situation it appears to me that our AD feels like any "training wheels" are no longer necessary. This will be a Mike Woodson ship next year. More than year 1, year 2 will be a measuring stick of what CMW is and will be as the future of IU basketball. Without knowing what additions we will have via the portal and who is coming back there is definitely the possibility that we are a sub .500 team. There is also a chance that CMW could put a team of JHS, Bates, Galloway, Reneau and Thompson on the floor and show he has tremendous chops as the Captain of our ship. 

I remain guardedly skeptical until the roster is finalized. 

This is my thinking as well.  CMW has been on the job for an entire year, has a year of experience coaching college/B10 basketball, and has the staff he wants.  The next 6 months will tell me a lot about where we're going (and how fast).

• Like 1

I will be sick of Fife goes there. If Fife is good enough for Matta then he’s good enough for me. I didn’t like Fide getting let go at first but wasn’t looking at it as a terrible thing, but now that Matta is leaving, I’m starting to wonder what the heck is going on?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

I didn’t like Fide getting let go at first but wasn’t looking at it as a terrible thing, but now that Matta is leaving, I’m starting to wonder what the heck is going on?

While I didn't like Fife getting let go Matta is getting a head coaching job, completely different situation.

Edited by Hoosier51

15 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I will be sick of Fife goes there. If Fife is good enough for Matta then he’s good enough for me. I didn’t like Fide getting let go at first but wasn’t looking at it as a terrible thing, but now that Matta is leaving, I’m starting to wonder what the heck is going on?

I just don't understand when people think Matta leaving is a huge deal.  He was doing more administrative duties than basketball activities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

combining this with Fife and XJ, things just aren't going great.

The XJ thing is obviously disappointing. 

Fife it's really disappointing that a former player screwed up that badly, but I'm not sure how that's an indictment on anyone besides Fife.

Matta left an administrative role to get back into coaching. Doesn't that seem unrelated to the state of the program?

What am I missing in terms of there being some big problem in Bloomington? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Still not entirely sure what Matta did for IU but glad he was able to get back into coaching. Interested to know what changed about his health issues to allow it.

Agree, it's pretty clear CMW wasn't thrilled with the setup. I don't see it as coincidence Fife was let go and now Matta is out. You drop Fife, a respected and experienced assistant at a high level, to hire someone that's never done the job. That's makes a statement on how that was going. What will be more telling is if they do not fill the open position left by Matta. There is no other way to read it. CMW wanted them out.

35 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Still not entirely sure what Matta did for IU but glad he was able to get back into coaching. Interested to know what changed about his health issues to allow it.

Agree, it's pretty clear CMW wasn't thrilled with the setup. I don't see it as coincidence Fife was let go and now Matta is out. You drop Fife, a respected and experienced assistant at a high level, to hire someone that's never done the job. That's makes a statement on how that was going. What will be more telling is if they do not fill the open position left by Matta. There is no other way to read it. CMW wanted them out.

There is zero hint or reason to conclude Coach Woodson wanted Matta out.

Thad was offered a head Coaching position. At a major University.

That is a giant, huge, gargantuan step up. Not being pushed out 

If he left to go coach Charlestown community College, then maybe.

But dude was offered a head coaching job in the Big East.

What coach, with any drive, would say "no. I am happy in this desk job , behind the scenes for Mike"?

Seriously, where does this read Woddson wanted Matta out (without trying to blur in Fife, which is a totally different situation)?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve suggested this in the past but I think Randy Wittman is ideal for that Matta spot.  He can be around the program but not recruit.  Attend meetings, provide ideas, contribute to X’s and O’s.   

Plus it puts another former NBA head coach on staff. That would be a solid hire.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

There is zero hint or reason to conclude Coach Woodson wanted Matta out.

Thad was offered a head Coaching position. At a major University.

That is a giant, huge, gargantuan step up. Not being pushed out 

If he left to go coach Charlestown community College, then maybe.

But dude was offered a head coaching job in the Big East.

What coach, with any drive, would say "no. I am happy in this desk job , behind the scenes for Mike"?

Seriously, where does this read Woddson wanted Matta out (without trying to blur in Fife, which is a totally different situation)?

A Big East head coaching position. At a program that he helped build into national prominence. That also happens to be his alma mater, as well as his wife and one daughter’s alma mater, and has a 2nd daughter currently attending. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A Big East head coaching position. At a program that he helped build into national prominence. That also happens to be his alma mater, as well as his wife and one daughter’s alma mater, and has a 2nd daughter currently attending. 

Stop with all the facts. Takes away from any conspiracy. We like drama at Indiana. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

One thing that is lost in all this, we can all go back to not liking Matta now, or at least I can. All he is to me now is a former Buckeye and current Bulldog coach that took a one-year vacation in Bloomington. His time or impact for the Hoosiers wasn't enough for me to give two 💩 that he is gone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And he has a house in Meridian Kessler…

If he thinks at all his health can handle coaching, it’s an absolute perfect spot to get back into it for him. 

i'm not at all saying the sky is falling or that this is on Woodson.  i'm just saying the fact that Matta left isn't a good thing.  good for Matta and understandable, just not good for IU.  Fife not working out for whatever reason is not good for IU.  XJ getting arrested is not good for IU.  hoping for some good news soon!  Reneau?

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm not at all saying the sky is falling or that this is on Woodson.  i'm just saying the fact that Matta left isn't a good thing.  good for Matta and understandable, just not good for IU.  Fife not working out for whatever reason is not good for IU.  XJ getting arrested is not good for IU.  hoping for some good news soon!  Reneau?

Matta didn’t have an impact on the IU program. He helped out some before all the assistants got hired last year but that was about it. When Barry Collier walked across the street from his house to offer Matta the job and 2.4 million dollars he accepted. Matta leaving in itself isn’t that big a deal. Accept for the fact Butler now has the best college basketball coach in the state. Now if he happened to hire a recently fired assistant coach that could be much more telling. That’s a big hypothetical but it would be interesting if it happened.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Matta didn’t have an impact on the IU program. He helped out some before all the assistants got hired last year but that was about it. 

If true, that was a failure by Dolson, Matta or Woodson, or all of the above. 

“In my mind I started thinking about this team and really based on what Woody was asking me for and what he needed and then knowing in my conversations with Thad, his basketball mind, his knowledge of the business speaks for itself,” Dolson said. “I just started formulating this plan.”

Dolson brought it to both Matta and Woodson and they were both on board. Though Woodson said he felt confident in his ability to recruit and coach at the college level after 24 years in the NBA, he liked the idea of having someone with more familiarity with the Big Ten and with recruiting the region.

“I’ve watched Thad from afar,” Woodson said. “This is the first time I’ve had an opportunity to sit and talk with Thad. Again, great basketball mind. My ego has always been in tact in terms of being able to accept great basketball minds and what they are thinking. I think that’s healthy from a coaching standpoint and I think it can’t do nothing but help me as I move up the road and try to build this basketball team. I’m grateful that Thad is on board.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/dolson-idea-for-thad-mattas-role-came-from-woodsons-willingness-to-collaborate/#:~:text=Indiana hires Mike Woodson as,in charge of men's basketball

• Like 1