Matta back to Butler

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If true, that was a failure by Dolson, Matta or Woodson, or all of the above. 

“In my mind I started thinking about this team and really based on what Woody was asking me for and what he needed and then knowing in my conversations with Thad, his basketball mind, his knowledge of the business speaks for itself,” Dolson said. “I just started formulating this plan.”

Dolson brought it to both Matta and Woodson and they were both on board. Though Woodson said he felt confident in his ability to recruit and coach at the college level after 24 years in the NBA, he liked the idea of having someone with more familiarity with the Big Ten and with recruiting the region.

“I’ve watched Thad from afar,” Woodson said. “This is the first time I’ve had an opportunity to sit and talk with Thad. Again, great basketball mind. My ego has always been in tact in terms of being able to accept great basketball minds and what they are thinking. I think that’s healthy from a coaching standpoint and I think it can’t do nothing but help me as I move up the road and try to build this basketball team. I’m grateful that Thad is on board.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/dolson-idea-for-thad-mattas-role-came-from-woodsons-willingness-to-collaborate/#:~:text=Indiana hires Mike Woodson as,in charge of men's basketball

Once the season started Woodson did things his way. He wanted it to be his program and do things his way. Thad didn’t really know what his job was at IU as the year went on. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Accept for the fact Butler now has the best college basketball coach in the state.

Matta's name was floating around the rumor mill on message boards for IU before Woodson was hired.  

The general consensus was he wasn't healthy enough for the rigors of coaching.  Has his health improved that much over the last 12 months?

If not, to me it's an indicator he never really was in the mix for the HC position at IU.  

I love Woodson, but wouldn't Matta have been the more logical hire had he been available?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Has his health improved that much over the last 12 months?

It’s possible, particularly in an area like the back. A year's worth of rehab with no additional setbacks can do wonders. 

That and the head coach at IU is a lot more pressure and demanding than the head coach at Butler. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

It’s possible, particularly in an area like the back. A year's worth of rehab with no additional setbacks can do wonders. 

That and the head coach at IU is a lot more pressure and demanding than the head coach at Butler. 

Just read this - or any - IU board for confirmation. 

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm not at all saying the sky is falling or that this is on Woodson.  i'm just saying the fact that Matta left isn't a good thing.  good for Matta and understandable, just not good for IU.  Fife not working out for whatever reason is not good for IU.  XJ getting arrested is not good for IU.  hoping for some good news soon!  Reneau?

How does this hurt IU at all.  He was doing administrative work with the AD and didn't do any on court coaching

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Matta's name was floating around the rumor mill on message boards for IU before Woodson was hired.  

The general consensus was he wasn't healthy enough for the rigors of coaching.  Has his health improved that much over the last 12 months?

If not, to me it's an indicator he never really was in the mix for the HC position at IU.  

I love Woodson, but wouldn't Matta have been the more logical hire had he been available?

Maybe Matta didn't want to be the coach at IU and everything this job entails.

Maybe Matta knew something was coming down the pipe at butler last year when he came to IU. Maybe that is why he took the job he did. Maybe Dolson knew this too and it was a good fit for a year to keep acclimate Woodson to college game and recruiting. Maybe the only job that would get Matta back in coaching is Butler

Will definitely be interesting to see how all this develops and what kind of success Butler had over the next 2-3 years.

If I recall, Dane was a strong fan if Rob's when he first got the Assistant job at IU.  Would not be surprised at all for Phin to end up at Butler.

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

You have to think both sides will share some dirty laundry though, dont you?  As best I can tell, if that happens, Painter benefits the most from it.

Not much Fife is going to do to hurt IU. Remember... he loves IU from his Twitter post?  We don't gain anything by talking bad about Butler. I think that is beneath us. Or I would assume it is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

You have to think both sides will share some dirty laundry though, dont you?  As best I can tell, if that happens, Painter benefits the most from it.

If i were Dane are u kidding me I would sling so much mud I would be elected President of The United States.  that's me and not him. You have to be so careful because the kids and parents all talk and that would be more damaging to both sides I think. I am sure there will be some

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not much Fife is going to do to hurt IU. Remember... he loves IU from his Twitter post?  We don't gain anything by talking bad about Butler. I think that is beneath us. Or I would assume it is. 

Hope your right.  I'm struggling a little bit with this solely from the standpoint that my perception that Matta is a stand-up type of person with a very good basketball mind.

Would he have hired Fife if he thought Dane was a f-up?

• Like 1