IU #21 in ESPN Way-Too-Early rankings

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Id venture to say that Race is the better option at the 4 and the 5 over a young Reneau for this season.  Im thrilled with the depth but with the 3 horses of this quality in the stable, sadly we won't see much 4 out this year unless its Race continuing to shoot 40% from deep like he did the back third of the season.  Going to have at least 72 minutes a game tied up with a combo of Race 25+, Trayce28+, and Malik20.  You would think.  I think JG and Kopp get some mins at the 4 from time to time.  We saw that more and more towards the end of the year down the stretch in a few games at least.  Minutes are going to be a war on this team.  

But yeah, we are legit 10 deep.  

If Race can add a little consistency to his outside shot, it’s more like 3.5 out/1.5 in, because he’s decent as a traditional 4 also. Been a LONG time since we’ve had three legitimate big guys on the roster. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think Malik or Race will play on the wing. You don't need all 4 guys in a 4 out offense to be able to create and take guys off of the dribble; if they can screen on and off the ball and reliably knock down open shots that'll be great. 

If Race is hitting near 40% from three, he'll float on and out is what I mean.  Clearly neither are close to a college 3 or nba style 4.  That's not what i meant at all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, i guess i don't need to keep repeating, but that's how i look at it.  he and JHS on the wing compared to Kopp and Stewart is just a completely different style.  seems so much more exciting to me.  now my son who has played against JHS and watched him a lot swears he needs to be the PG and not a wing, so that scares me just a little.  

To me if we get better production from the wings this year compared to last year will be the difference.  We were so close to winning another 5;6 games last year so it doesn't need to be a huge jump but just more consistent play.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

To me if we get better production from the wings this year compared to last year will be the difference.  We were so close to winning another 5;6 games last year so it doesn't need to be a huge jump but just more consistent play.

That and the mindset to play 40 minutes instead of 35.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It hasn't been only the last 5 minutes of games where fatigue would be a factor. There are other points during games where the team just seemed to lose focus.

I don't agree! Nbd though! 

I don't believe the 4 wings we had last year are anything close to what we will have next year. In like a landslide. 

I thought our focus was much better after Penn State. I believe we had one of the best turnover rates we have had in a long time. 

Talent>

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If TJD returns, I see us winning at least 5 to 6 more games. Not trying to be a homer, but we lost that many games that were so close and hadn’t come close to playing that well. With who we lost, compared to who we bring in and the improvements by some of our guys should make us a top 25 team. 

I like to look at the end of the season with how we played and improvements to the players as a very positive sign moving forward. Even if TJD leaves, I still think this could be a tourney team, just a different dynamic. 

4 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

If TJD returns, I see us winning at least 5 to 6 more games. Not trying to be a homer, but we lost that many games that were so close and hadn’t come close to playing that well. With who we lost, compared to who we bring in and the improvements by some of our guys should make us a top 25 team. 

I like to look at the end of the season with how we played and improvements to the players as a very positive sign moving forward. Even if TJD leaves, I still think this could be a tourney team, just a different dynamic. 

I don’t think top 25 should be satisfying if TJD is back. That makes us a 5-7 seed. Better than recent memory, but our ceiling should be higher. 4 seed or better would be my expectations with TJD back and the roster improvements made. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think top 25 should be satisfying if TJD is back. That makes us a 5-7 seed. Better than recent memory, but our ceiling should be higher. 4 seed or better would be my expectations with TJD back and the roster improvements made. 

totally agree.  Trayce will be one of the best players in the nation.  Race will be in his 6th year after averaging 11.1ppg and 7.5rpg.  XJ would return as the starting PG who averaged 12.1 ppg.  we add two 5 star freshmen.  both of our wing positions will be better.  a lot of guys will be in their 2nd season in this system.  we should absolutely be top 15.  top 3 in conference.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't agree! Nbd though! 

I don't believe the 4 wings we had last year are anything close to what we will have next year. In like a landslide. 

I thought our focus was much better after Penn State. I believe we had one of the best turnover rates we have had in a long time. 

Talent>

I want to agree with you because I thought the same…but my brother pointed out…we avg 11.9 turnovers per game last year and 11.9 under Archie his last year. The numbers were incredibly similar actually. Surprisingly a lot of numbers were similar…possessions per game…steals etc…most importantly we just figured out how to win more close games…and finished strong in the B1G tournament.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I want to agree with you because I thought the same…but my brother pointed out…we avg 11.9 turnovers per game last year and 11.9 under Archie his last year. The numbers were incredibly similar actually. Surprisingly a lot of numbers were similar…possessions per game…steals etc…most importantly we just figured out how to win more close games…and finished strong in the B1G tournament.

We avged 1.5 less TOs per game in conference play this season compared to last. 

And our 4 post season games prior to St Marys we avged 8.5 TOs. 

And remember... "after penn state" was with my orginal opinion. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I do think they should be a top 15 team if he comes back, but consider me cautiously optimistic after how the last 6 or so years have went. Really hope the end of the last season is the new norm and we see a lot higher level of play!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

18th and 2nd in the B1G seems fair to me if TJD is back.  honestly i think 18 is a little low if we are 2nd in the B1G.  

18th technically would not be a sweet 16 team, so I would be real disappointed with what we have on the roster for next year if we don’t at least make the second weekend of the tourney. That would be the next step for this team IMO if we’re supposed to build on last year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

with TJD now officially back, hard to understand why we shouldn't have very high expectations.  i go back to the hope that Bates and JHS will be our starting wings along with XJ, Race, and TJD.  seems like a big upgrade.  my son trains with the same trainer that JHS does.  he was telling them that Woodson told him he wants him to work on being more of a scorer.