IU #21 in ESPN Way-Too-Early rankings

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...probably the most fair Purdue fan poster I've ever ran across.  At times, I've questioned whether this one is really the enemy as well.

If TJD goes it gets a lot tougher.

you lose a great defender…probably the best returning player in the Big Ten.  

no way Illini or Bucky are ahead of IU 

Purdue returns Hunter and no Pack….IU returns TJD….

then it comes down to freshman and reserves stepping up 

On 4/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, 94hoosier said:

Not sure I get all the love for the Illini. Even with kofi back not sure that is a top 25 team. Melenzas is a nice player and verdonk is too. Not sure about the guards. The top 7 teams or so last year ranged from 15-5 to 12-8. It not that hard for those teams to lose a few more. Iu could easily win 3 or 4 more even without TJD next year. Had we stayed healthy and caught a break or two we easily could have won 3 more games. If the experts expect improved from Illini and Wisconsin and Purdue players why not IU. We could easily move up the standings

Verdonk? He's a deep reserve, not really a difference maker. Illini will have plenty of talent at the guard spots but very little experience. Probably will try to add a veteran there from the portal. But Kofi does probably = top 25.

I agree there's a great chance for IU to move up, overall the league seems to be taking a step back next year so the opportunity is there.

But all these rankings will change a ton once the portal season wraps up.

Edited by BruceDouglas

On 4/5/2022 at 10:47 AM, KDB said:

While of course a lot depends on TJD, but I like this team to be a consistent presence in the Top25 next season. This team really found its groove towards the end of last season with X. 

Of course it would help our standing if TJD returns, but this team really needs to make its shots. I know, shocking. Missed a ton of open 3’s and shots within 5 feet. Make a few more of those a game and we win 5 or 6 more games easily. 

• Like 1

Just now, JaybobHoosier said:

While of course a lot depends on TJD, but I like this team to be a consistent presence in the Top25 next season. This team really found its groove towards the end of last season with X. 

Of course it would help our standing if TJD returns, but this team really needs to make its shots. I know, shocking. Missed a ton of open 3’s and shots within 5 feet. Make a few more of those a game and we win 5 or 6 more games easily. 

Kopp SR > Kopp JR

TB SO > PS SR

TG JR > TG SO

.... plus you add JHS/XJ playing some 2. That is just at the wing, and personally, I think that is sizable upgrade. Dennis could still be added. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kopp SR > Kopp JR

TB SO > PS SR

TG JR > TG SO

.... plus you add JHS/XJ playing some 2. That is just at the wing, and personally, I think that is sizable upgrade. Dennis could still be added. 

To add to what you said, I think one factor that most don’t give a lot of thought too is the majority of the team being back for continuity. Year 1 under a new system that was completely different from the year before can be difficult. 

Now that there is a year under the belt and many back, I think that will be a huge help. If TJD comes back, CMW found ways to better utilize him which will only help next season as well. 

It won’t happen, but would be interested to see a zone defense anchored by TJD, Race, and JG. I’m not saying to use a zone with how good our defense was, but would be curious to see how that would go with how much athleticism and rebounding those 3 provide.

Edited by JaybobHoosier
  • Like 7

To add to what you said, I think one factor that most don’t give a lot of thought too is the majority of the team being back for continuity. Year 1 under a new system that was completely different form the year before can be difficult. 

Now that there is a year under the belt and many back, I think that will be a huge help. If TJD comes back, CMW found ways to better utilize him which will only help next season as well. 

It won’t happen, but would be interested to see a zone defense anchored by TJD, Race, and JG. I’m not saying to use a zone with how good our defense was, but would be curious to see how that would go with how much athleticism and rebounding those 3 provide.

+1

We lost a lot of close games in the first half of the season because we did not have an offense in place. Also, our depth should be sufficient to survive the next NW incident (if it should happen). 

• Like 1

To add to what you said, I think one factor that most don’t give a lot of thought too is the majority of the team being back for continuity. Year 1 under a new system that was completely different form the year before can be difficult. 

We will grow a ton from more time together. We added so much newness last year-- the entire coaching staff, the AD, Kopp, Stewart, Durr, Johnson, Duncomb, Bates, etc. Then injuries to TG and RP. I think your first two sentences are fantastic. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Every team has the opportunity to get better. That’s just something we use to talk ourselves into elevated expectations. Do we think sophomores aren’t getting Bette at UM and OSU and UI too?

Yes, did those teams keep their top 3 and add 2 5 star FR, though? 

Used to, under Archie, everyone else's players developed and ours didnt. My biggest issue with him.  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Every team has the opportunity to get better. That’s just something we use to talk ourselves into elevated expectations. Do we think sophomores aren’t getting Bette at UM and OSU and UI too?

Yes, for the ones who stay.  With graduation and the transfer portal, it's far from a uniform experience.

• Like 1

i'm feeling strangely optimistic.  hard to see why we aren't solid top 15-20 talent wise.  top 3 talent wise in the B1G.  seems very easy to see Bates making a big jump.  seems very realistic that JHS and Reneau are ready immediately.  a lot of experience returning.  potentially 3 starters who were very highly ranked coming out of college.  the other two have been in college forever and are solid returning starters.  please let this be the year that we are top 25 all season long, top 1/3 in the conference.  solid NCAA seed.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm feeling strangely optimistic.  hard to see why we aren't solid top 15-20 talent wise.  top 3 talent wise in the B1G.  seems very easy to see Bates making a big jump.  seems very realistic that JHS and Reneau are ready immediately.  a lot of experience returning.  potentially 3 starters who were very highly ranked coming out of college.  the other two have been in college forever and are solid returning starters.  please let this be the year that we are top 25 all season long, top 1/3 in the conference.  solid NCAA seed.

Am I crazy to think that how good this season ends up being is directly proportional to the amount of improvement Bates makes?  Small improvement, smaller gains for the team. Big improvement, big step for the team. That’s how Im feeling now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Am I crazy to think that how good this season ends up being is directly proportional to the amount of improvement Bates makes?  Small improvement, smaller gains for the team. Big improvement, big step for the team. That’s how Im feeling now. 

see, i guess i don't need to keep repeating, but that's how i look at it.  he and JHS on the wing compared to Kopp and Stewart is just a completely different style.  seems so much more exciting to me.  now my son who has played against JHS and watched him a lot swears he needs to be the PG and not a wing, so that scares me just a little.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think if Trayce returns as expected we are easily Top 20 and probably Top 15. And like you I see Bates making a big jump and I have high expectations for improvements from Trey and Jordan. Also the one guy who doesn't get talked about as much, other then his Nascar driving abilities is Xavier who in my opinion is possibly the best PG in the B1G and who I look to have a big season.

There are a couple of things that can make the Hoosiers a Top 10 team also. One is improvement from the team beyond the arc, I think if they improve there they can make a strong run in March, and to be honest that is all I care about at this point when it comes to team success. Another thing is if Hood-Schifino and Reneau comes in as advertised and have an impact. If Jalen is starting then that means he is the real deal and that puts the Hoosiers on another level.

This might be the most excited I've been for the start of a Hoosier season in a while. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51

Something I haven’t seen mentioned….I know Woody prefers the 4 out-1 in style, but could we see a variation of this past year’s lineup if TJD is back, only with Race coming off the bench and Reneau starting? TJD-Reneau-JHS-XJ and whoever.

Intriguing at the very least, and would make for a very potent bench. Race and whoever wouldn’t be starting out of Tamar, JG, Galloway and Kopp (and possibly DD)….legit 10 deep. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Something I haven’t seen mentioned….I know Woody prefers the 4 out-1 in style, but could we see a variation of this past year’s lineup if TJD is back, only with Race coming off the bench and Reneau starting? TJD-Reneau-JHS-XJ and whoever.

Intriguing at the very least, and would make for a very potent bench. Race and whoever wouldn’t be starting out of Tamar, JG, Galloway and Kopp (and possibly DD)….legit 10 deep. 

I personally think Race starts and Reneau comes off of the bench, but regardless, I expect the trio of TJD, Race, and MR to dominant all the minutes at the 4/5. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Id venture to say that Race is the better option at the 4 and the 5 over a young Reneau for this season.  Im thrilled with the depth but with the 3 horses of this quality in the stable, sadly we won't see much 4 out this year unless its Race continuing to shoot 40% from deep like he did the back third of the season.  Going to have at least 72 minutes a game tied up with a combo of Race 25+, Trayce28+, and Malik20.  You would think.  I think JG and Kopp get some mins at the 4 from time to time.  We saw that more and more towards the end of the year down the stretch in a few games at least.  Minutes are going to be a war on this team.  

But yeah, we are legit 10 deep.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Id venture to say that Race is the better option at the 4 and the 5 over a young Reneau for this season.  Im thrilled with the depth but with the 3 horses of this quality in the stable, sadly we won't see much 4 out this year unless its Race continuing to shoot 40% from deep like he did the back third of the season.  Going to have at least 72 minutes a game tied up with a combo of Race 25+, Trayce28+, and Malik20.  You would think.  I think JG and Kopp get some mins at the 4 from time to time.  We saw that more and more towards the end of the year down the stretch in a few games at least.  Minutes are going to be a war on this team.  

But yeah, we are legit 10 deep.  

Agreed on the offensive look, but RT and MR can both stretch the floor. I won’t be surprised to see them both shooting mid 30s from deep. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agreed on the offensive look, but RT and MR can both stretch the floor. I won’t be surprised to see them both shooting mid 30s from deep. 

That would be great.  Only a handful of teams have guys that could go by them from the wing but the length overall and then the presence of Trayce backing them up would keep the fear up inside.  Malik has nice footwork but I don't see him being a great wing defender at this stage.  Once he develops that body though he can be as good or better than Race and Trayce out there defensively, imo.

44 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That would be great.  Only a handful of teams have guys that could go by them from the wing but the length overall and then the presence of Trayce backing them up would keep the fear up inside.  Malik has nice footwork but I don't see him being a great wing defender at this stage.  Once he develops that body though he can be as good or better than Race and Trayce out there defensively, imo.

I don't think Malik or Race will play on the wing. You don't need all 4 guys in a 4 out offense to be able to create and take guys off of the dribble; if they can screen on and off the ball and reliably knock down open shots that'll be great. 

• Like 1