2022 Rich Rolfe

58 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Does anyone know about this kid? He is from Centerville HS. It states we are showing interest in him. You will find him down near the bottom of the article. Thanks for any and all information. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-offer-2023-forward-arrinten-page/

We offered him a preferred walk on with the chance to earn a scholarship. He’s legit. I’d be surprised if we got him. I think he could be a mid major guy who will do really well then get a scholarship offer from bigger programs after a year or two IMO. I think Coach Lewis at Ball State would be smart to offer if he already hasn’t and could convince him to come there.

• Like 1

I have seen Centerville play in person two times this year. Cupps runs the show, but they don't win every night without Rolf. The dude is big, physical, and is a dog to play against. Plays with an attitude and seems to enjoy making his opponent look bad. Without a doubt, he is a better offensive player right now than at least three of our wings, maybe every one of them. A picture perfect stroke from 3, and athletic enough to dunk on someone who gets in his way. We would be damned lucky as fans to have this guy on scholarship. 

Edited by HoosierBrit64
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, HoosierBrit64 said:

I have seen Centerville play in person two times this year. Cupps runs the show, but they don't win every night without Rolf. The dude is big, physical, and is a dog to play against. Plays with an attitude and seems to enjoy making his opponent look bad. Without a doubt, he is a better offensive player right now than at least three of our wings, maybe every one of them. A picture perfect stroke from 3, and athletic enough to dunk on someone who gets in his way. We would be damned lucky as fans to have this guy on scholarship. 

Nice info. What would say about his defense?  Is he mobile enough to defend wings in the B1G.  

Offensively he sounds like one of those Big Ten players who is unheralded yet is really tough to deal with. 

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Nice info. What would say about his defense?  Is he mobile enough to defend wings in the B1G.  

Offensively he sounds like one of those Big Ten players who is unheralded yet is really tough to deal with. 

I personally think he would be just fine on the defensive end. He has nice footwork and is a willing defender. And defends with physicality. For high school, and considering he was playing a challenging schedule for public high schools, in the two games he was actually a fantastic help-side defender. He seemed to have a really good feel for coming for help blocks, and was a more than willing rebounder on both ends, with an understanding of angles of where missed shots might go. In the two games I attended, he was guarding opponents in the 6'4- 6'6 range. He was really physical in both games. He certainly did not struggle defensively. What I noted was that, while the opponents couldn't get a mismatch to go at him, he was a mismatch in both games for the opponent. He would take a smaller guy to the rim, and would drill threes from everywhere on a bigger guy. As soon as a big would come out on him, he would head fake and drive. He is most certainly not a soft 6'7 perimeter only guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The chemistry between him and Cupps is already established, so when Gabe arrives next year, you would have two guys on the court who can knock down the 3 and open up the court for our other players. I think he would earn a scholarship in time after reading about this kid. He is the kind of kid who competes, is an alpha, so those intangibles are so important. He is a glue guy, plus any player who knocks down 3's, sign him up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I like that eye popping 49% from three.  

If we have room bring him on.  If he wants to walk on a year great.  

At what point does a kid like this take one of his offers to Miami O or EKU for a year and then join up later?

That's a great point about taking one year at a mid major. But with the NIL, why not have them walk on and give them a one year NIL deal? It subsidizes their cost of tuition,  and they could still earn a scholarship if they play above expectations.  Lots of potential to get creative. 

• Like 2

I’ll tell you what in my opinion if we get Rolf as a walk-on that could be one of the biggest heists of the recruiting cycle. To get a kid with a few D-1 offers whose 6’7” and can shoot the ball to even think about being a walk-on is crazy…maybe power of the NIL 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...