Antiques, old stuff big and small

Had these for decades.  They aren't worth much.  You can find similar ones on eBay.  Thought I'd share anyway.  History or railroad buffs might like them.  Both are pre Civil War.  Top one is Crawfordsville-Logansport, Indiana.  Bottom one is Adrian, Michigan.

I'll change the thread title to just "Antiques" if anyone else wants to post (please do!).  Doesn't have to be fancy or railroad related.  Just whatever's your jam.

railroad bills april 2022.JPG

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 7

• Madison22 changed the title to Antiques, old stuff big and small

The original thread was named "Antiques, 1800's railroad bills."   

Out of curiosity, I Googled that.  This HSN thread topped the list after just 12 hours.  Everything we write on this site is being looked at by bots and stored.  Not trying to derail my own thread, but I thought this was interesting.

HSN antiques.JPG

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I will say that 5fouls he collects ex wives and I assume they are now old.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Heck.  The last couple were old before they were 'ex'.

I was looking at new tires for my car yesterday (honest).  Hard to decide among all the choices.  The rep said it's easy.  "Cheap new tires are always better than expensive old ones."

First thing I thought was, yeah, that totally applies to marriage.

• Haha 4

I’ve got my grandfather and great grandfather’s pocket watches that I keep meaning to get fixed. 

Also have a 1971 Olympus SLR camera that I still use today. My father in law gave it to me and he had used it when my wife was growing up, so all 41 of her years on this earth have been captured by this 51 year old camera. I think that’s pretty cool!

I used to have an old wooden Eastman 8x10 camera from 1917 that I used to drag around NYC in a suitcase for a few years. My wife took this shot of me using it on the East River. 

8733224115_f4dc0ec385_c.jpg

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I’ve got my grandfather and great grandfather’s pocket watches that I keep meaning to get fixed. 

Also have a 1971 Olympus SLR camera that I still use today. My father in law gave it to me and he had used it when my wife was growing up, so all 41 of her years on this earth have been captured by this 51 year old camera. I think that’s pretty cool!

I used to have an old wooden Eastman 8x10 camera from 1917 that I used to drag around NYC in a suitcase for a few years. My wife took this shot of me using it on the East River. 

8733224115_f4dc0ec385_c.jpg

Remember my friend and I taking a trip in the early 70’s. Drove the PCH from Washington to San Fran. And then over to Reno. Part of the deal was he bought an Olympus and I bought a Tamron zoom lens. Still have the lens but no camera to attach it to. Need to dig it out and send it to you to see if it fits?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Remember my friend and I taking a trip in the early 70’s. Drove the PCH from Washington to San Fran. And then over to Reno. Part of the deal was he bought an Olympus and I bought a Tamron zoom lens. Still have the lens but no camera to attach it to. Need to dig it out and send it to you to see if it fits?

That’s some decent glass if its 1970s vintage. I’m betting it would. I’ve always been a Canon guy, but I don’t think Olympus changed lens mountings often, if at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Those old zooms are classics. Just have to check for mold, etc. if they’ve ben sitting in storage. That sounds like a killer roadtrip!

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That’s some decent glass if its 1970s vintage. I’m betting it would. I’ve always been a Canon guy, but I don’t think Olympus changed lens mountings often, if at all. 

Yeah, the Olympus Zuiko glass from that time period was pretty special. I’ve had a lot of SLRs (Nikon, Pentax, Canon, and Minolta), but this OM-1 just feels so right in my hands. Even has the original “hippy strap” with it. 

I normally take a film and a digital camera on big trips, but for our May Italy trip coming up, I’m just taking the Olympus with a fistful of Kodak Gold 200 film. I love how that stuff looks - just looks like summer in the 1970s! 

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I normally take a film and a digital camera on big trips, but for our May Italy trip coming up, I’m just taking the Olympus with a fistful of Kodak Gold 200 film. I love how that stuff looks - just looks like summer in the 1970s! 

Yep…heavy saturation + fine-but-not-too-fine grain. Nice warm, vintage feel, especially on outdoor shots. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yep…heavy saturation + fine-but-not-too-fine grain. Nice warm, vintage feel, especially on outdoor shots. 

You know your film. We are doing Capri and Amalfi Coast, so thinking it’s a great match! Portra is just so damned expensive these days, and it seems like most of the photographers using it are really into that overexposed and overly dreamy look. I can barely look at Portra shots these days b/.c they all look the same. 

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Those old zooms are classics. Just have to check for mold, etc. if they’ve ben sitting in storage. That sounds like a killer roadtrip!

Yeah, the Olympus Zuiko glass from that time period was pretty special. I’ve had a lot of SLRs (Nikon, Pentax, Canon, and Minolta), but this OM-1 just feels so right in my hands. Even has the original “hippy strap” with it. 

Pretty sure the camera we had was an OM-1. I’ll start looking for it!

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

You know your film. We are doing Capri and Amalfi Coast, so thinking it’s a great match! Portra is just so damned expensive these days, and it seems like most of the photographers using it are really into that overexposed and overly dreamy look. I can barely look at Portra shots these days b/.c they all look the same. 

I think what finally broke me of film cameras, was I was in St Petersburg knowing I was going to the Hermitage art museum where they didn’t allow flash. I finally found some 800 film at a street vendor, when I got the film developed I ended up with a strange picture of several priceless paintings  on  top of each other? Apparently the film was old and the advance holes stripped out!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

You know your film.

Just started messing around with film a few years ago. I was always strictly digital, but I found a really nice Manfrotto camera case at a garage sale in my former subdivision for $10. When I picked it up, I felt it had weight in it, and there was an old Rebel 2000 SLR body in it. Asked the owner if he wanted it back and he said he hadn’t used it in years. Like I said, I have always shot Canon, so I had plenty of glass and accessories that would fit it. And now I have a free 35mm SLR. 

• Like 1