Players declaring for the draft

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Kofi signed w an agent and is headed to the NBA. 

Love this lol! Dude has bothered  IU for too long (not as much as Davidson and Bohannon in terms of years). I can’t stand the Illini after growing up in Illini territory, so I won’t mind if they have a down year! 
IU’s path towards the top of the Big10 has gotten easier with this decision IMO. 

• Like 4

CBS mock draft two days ago.  There are other mocks with different predictions.

This one has Ivey at #4 with these tepid numbers: 17 ppg, 36% 3-point shooting.  So-so for college, but for a #4 draft pick?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2022-nba-mock-draft-dukes-paolo-banchero-moves-up-and-iowas-keegan-murray-jumps-into-top-five/

• Like 2

Checked three different two round mock drafts and Kofi was not on any of them. Seemed odd but very glad to see him go on his way and out of the B1G. Just as happy Frazier is finally gone.

Also checked Oscar T from uk and he varied from pick 35 into the 50s. As for Trayce, he was in the 40s. They seem to be suffering from the NBA's three and D trend. 

In the past, these types of players would be more valued but neither of them can shoot consistently from the perimeter. Neither of them are great ball handlers. So, none of them fit neatly into today's NBA mold. They are more in line with bench fodder.

We have been saying all along TJD doesn't really have a position in the NBA. He's a 6'9 post presence who struggles scoring over size, has no jumper and his handles are not great. If he developed any kind of shot from 15 or more feet it would be huge for his draft value.

Final Note - uk fans believe Oscar is back. He won the player of the year award this season. There was a time when kids would not risk coming back after winning player of the year because you can't top it individually and the risk of injury is too great. Now it seems these guys are realizing just being big and strong doesn't cut it in the NBA. You have to have more of a game. Although it appears Kofi is going to take his shot now. Depending on how it works out for him it will be very telling for all big men going forward.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

This one has Ivey at #4 with these tepid numbers: 17 ppg, 36% 3-point shooting.  So-so for college, but for a #4 draft pick?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2022-nba-mock-draft-dukes-paolo-banchero-moves-up-and-iowas-keegan-murray-jumps-into-top-five/

So-so for college? In what way? If he played on a Purdue team like Carsen did, he easily averages 20+. Just had a lot of mouths to feed this year.

Ivey is going to be drafted high because of his potential especially with his elite athleticism. He improved his shooting a good amount from last year which moved him up the draft boards even further. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If he played on a Purdue team like Carsen did, he easily averages 20+. Just had a lot of mouths to feed this year.

Ivey is going to be drafted high because of his potential especially with his elite athleticism. He improved his shooting a good amount from last year which moved him up the draft boards even further.

Good points.  I don't see 17 points a game as elite.  But most draft experts agree with you, not me. 

Ty Ty Washington Jr is at #6 in the lottery.  He averaged 12 points and shot 35% from three.

I do see some articles saying this is a weak draft, but only time will tell.  

It's all above my pay grade.  I'm just trying to add to the discussion.  We'll know more in three years.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Good points.  I don't see 17 points a game as elite.  But most draft experts agree with you, not me. 

Ty Ty Washington Jr is at #6 in the lottery.  He averaged 12 points and shot 35% from three.

I do see some articles saying this is a weak draft, but only time will tell.  

It's all above my pay grade.  I'm just trying to add to the discussion.  We'll know more in three years.  

All good! A guy like Carsen was never going to be a lottery pick because of his size even if he put up 30 points a game. NBA cares about stuff like that and how they’ll project at the next level even if they may not realize their potential for years (if ever). 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Holmgren is who I want the Pacers to draft if they have the chance, but if not I would be extremely happy with Murray. Give me Keegan over Jaden any day of the week. I think his scoring ability will translate well to the NBA.

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Holmgren is who I want the Pacers to draft if they have the chance, but if not I would be extremely happy with Murray. Give me Keegan over Jaden any day of the week. I think his scoring ability will translate well to the NBA.

I want the Pacers to stay away from Holmgren.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Of the UM 3 I thought Diabate was the most likely to leave.  If all 3 are back I think they are the clear #1 team in the big ten and after that I can see us being #2

Turdue fans on GBI see IU no better than 5th and Turdue ahead of them.  Gotta love their optimism...or just laugh at it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Assuming Holmgren stays healthy, your analysis on him is way off.  You need to get past your skinny white guy bias...this kid is a player.

Seen the Pacers fo it to many times picking big white guys. That is not why I don't want the Pacers to pick him but he will get pushed around in the NBA.  He can shoot and block shots but don't see him bring a star in the NBA.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Turdue fans on GBI see IU no better than 5th and Turdue ahead of them.  Gotta love their optimism...or just laugh at it.

With Trayce and Hunter both possibly coming back I see Michigan 1st then IU 2nd next season in the B1G. Both should be Top 15 to start the season. Purdue if they happen to get Pack could be top 5 in the B1G but if not I think they are top 7 or 8.

I don't think the B1G is going to get a lot of respect in the pre-season polls, which in my opinion might be a good thing. Maybe the league will get their heads out of their rears and make some changes, mainly with how the games are officiated and played.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Seen the Pacers fo it to many times picking big white guys. That is not why I don't want the Pacers to pick him but he will get pushed around in the NBA.  He can shoot and block shots but don't nsrr him bring a star in the NBA.

He can do a lot more then shoot and block shots. He can handle the ball like a guard and take you off the dribble. At his height he can do everything a 2 or 3 can do. This isn't the NBA of old, players don't get pushed around like they used to. That is why Chet is possibly the first pick of the draft and Kofi who is a bruiser is in danger of not being drafted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So-so for college? In what way? If he played on a Purdue team like Carsen did, he easily averages 20+. Just had a lot of mouths to feed this year.

Since I kicked you out of St. Louis years ago you really need to change your name! 😁

2 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Since it’s in the “players declaring for the draft” thread I took it to mean TJD is leaving to go get paid… but that’s just my interpretation.

The dots (🔴 ) and the googly eyes (👀) usually means someone committing. I the money - maybe NIL deal bringing TJD back?