Players declaring for the draft

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Those #s are 100% fine for everything else we have talent wise and what else he brings to the table. 

My bad earlier.  It was dmb bringing this.  "Chris on Btownbanners says expect a commitment soon.  Kopp likely being asked to leave."

If Kopp leaves, it replaces a need and immediately creates a new one.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Chet is a damn good prospect in the modern game.  Mobile at 7'1, agile, skilled, can defend, and very good motor.  He's probably underrated because people can't past his skinniness.

Any comparison to Shawn Bradley is lazy and ill informed.

To be honest if he is going to be compared to anyone it should be Durant. They have some of the same skillsets but Chet is probably a better defender at his age then Kevin was.

Edited by Hoosier51

8 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

To be honest if he is going to be compared to anyone it should be Durant. They have some of the same skillsets but Chet is probably a better defender at his age then Kevin was.

Is he a good defensive player or just a good shot blocker.  You can be a shot blocker but not a good defensive player.  Myles Turner is one that blocks shots but is not a good individual defensive player.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Not as good, of course, but I take your point in terms of a long, skinnier guy, who has skill.  

I remember when people, including in Indy, dismissed the young Rik Smits as useless.  7'4, skinny, Pacers don't know what they are doing, etc.  

The kid is one year out of high school and has an uncommon skill set.  Way too early to write him off.  He is no guarantee but he can be a nice player on a good team.  Giannis is not walking through the door with any of these picks this year.  Lot of players who are "just guys."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Not as good, of course, but I take your point in terms of a long, skinnier guy, who has skill.  

I remember when people, including in Indy, dismissed the young Rik Smits as useless.  7'4, skinny, Pacers don't know what they are doing, etc.  

The kid is one year out of high school and has an uncommon skill set.  Way too early to write him off.  He is no guarantee but he can be a nice player on a good team.  Giannis is not walking through the door with any of these picks this year.  Lot of players who are "just guys."

Man I would be extremely happy getting Chet, like you said he has a skill set that you don't see often in big men. 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JerryYeagley23 posted on BTBers (for sure has some insight).. confirms what @RoadToZion has said. 

TJD is coming back, he said he feels confident in that and thinks an announcement will be made soon. 

I do hope he returns. I realize there is speculation that it may impact some other decisions. I just want to see a second year of these guys under this staff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I would take him at 4 but not if we have a top 3 pick.  Smith, Bachero or Ivey.  If we have the 5th pick I would take Murray

That's fair, although I'd take him before Ivey.  Smith & Banchero are two excellent players as is Holmgren.  I think Holmgren is the most skilled of the three but I see the durability risk, so I'd rate those three as a toss-up.

I'm not sold on Ivey's mental aspect.  I saw him pout and get frustrated and (the Purdue fans here can probably speak more accurately on this) I don't think he's a great locker room presence.  He seemed a tad selfish and immature as well.  I think he's a certain lottery pick in this year's draft, but I'd take a wait and see attitude on how he matures.  Holmgren seemed light years more mature than Ivey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's fair, although I'd take him before Ivey.  Smith & Banchero are two excellent players as is Holmgren.  I think Holmgren is the most skilled of the three but I see the durability risk, so I'd rate those three as a toss-up.

I'm not sold on Ivey's mental aspect.  I saw him pout and get frustrated and (the Purdue fans here can probably speak more accurately on this) I don't think he's a great locker room presence.  He seemed a tad selfish and immature as well.  I think he's a certain lottery pick in this year's draft, but I'd take a wait and see attitude on how he matures.  Holmgren seemed light years more mature than Ivey.

Ivey will be a bust. Prima Donna Mama’s Boy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Ivey will be a bust. Prima Donna Mama’s Boy

FWIW-- my dad has a pretty close connection to a Purdue asst coach. They spoke this week and he (the coach) mentioned Jaden is simply immature. Said he is super supportive of his teammates and works incredibly hard. This coach isn't looking at this through poop colored glasses. Or whatever their term for it is. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listening to Aaron Torres podcast about the Sharpe kid from UK.  It sounds like something fishy is going on with his draft status.  You have to be 19 and one year from high school.  In October he reclassified and came to UK for the spring semester so he shouldn't be eligible for the draft. It would seem he was in high school in through December so that isn't a year from high school.  I guess they have a document showing that Sharpe graduated in May of 2021. The question is if he graduated in May of 2021 why was he on high school until December of 2021

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If your point in there are no guys who will probably go down at a top 10 player of all time, then I agree, but if your point is there aren't any future HOF players in that top four I don't think I agree there isn't that type of upside. Honestly, all four of the top four in the draft have that type of upside IMO